Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 12:50 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times

Advertisements

It uses 20 inch bicycle tires. I go look online and they are minimum $20 each, no wheels, no tubes, just tires!!!!! WTF? Last time I bought tires they were like $5 each. So time I buy tires, tubes, and tube liners.... Oh looked when I was at Wally brick and mortar store and they dont sell tires, but cheapest new kids bike with 20 inch tires was $58. Ok that tells me somebody is really gouging on price of replacement tires. Cause all these are made in China. Be like pricing new car for not much more than cost of new replacement tires.... one can only wish!

So any suggestions where to look? Hey if I gotta give crazy price, rather buy solid garden cart tires that dont go flat and dont have tubes.

You know I wonder if crazy price was a shipping thing. Nope, bike tires anymore are folded up to fit in little box. Its just greed. This virus stuff ever goes away probably can just buy a used bike at thrift store for $15 and take tires and tubes from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 01:48 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Ok, lot of looking. If I insist on 20 inch, cheapest shipped price for pair solid rubber tires/wheels is $75, thats with steel rim and wire spokes. Most were plastic rim/spokes and closer to $100 for a pair.

Now if I made bracket to keep mower height with smaller wheels, can get 14 inch wheels with solid rubber tires, cheap as $17 each shipped. Plastic rims/spokes. Go figure. The mower will look funny, but probably not significantly harder to push.

Like say, prefer solid rubber cause thorns can really ruin your day with bicycle tube tires.

All this is China of course and reading reviews, these are not super durable. Figure 5 year to 10 year. Probably closer to 5 year.

Was also thinking about making own solid rubber tires. Cut sidewalls out of like four 12" or 13" car tires, then bolt them together so they are like couple inch across. Spokes and hub not difficult. Its the solid rubber outer tire that is difficult. Outlast any of Chinese stuff. But few cars have used 12 or 13 inch tires last couple decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden