Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times

Advertisements

Since I had such good help identifying my Green Ball Dianthus (thank you!), maybe I can try again.

I didn't weed these, thinking they might be something.

I thought maybe they are poppies, because the leaves are the same, but these are so lacy and full.

They are so pretty, I just might leave them alone, even if they are weeds. One plant has what might be a flower bud, but it is not blooming.

I live in New Jersey.

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Flowers or weed?-poppy.jpg   Flowers or weed?-poppy_2.jpg   Flowers or weed?-poppy_3.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Going by the structure of the leaves and that one cluster of flower buds that are forming I think maybe some variety of dill OR a variety of confetti cilantro. But it also has lacy leaves similar to chamomile and pineapple weed which does not have undeveloped flower buds like that but they may change with maturity of the blossoms, and the pineapple weed plant is a wild medicinal herb related to cultivated chamomile.

In any case whatever it has seeded out from, be it wild weed or cultivated culinary herb, you may need to wait for those flowers buds to finish developing and open up before you can confirm. In the meantime, rub some leaves between your fingers then smell the leaves and your fingers to determine if the plant oils smell anything like dill or cilantro or very mildly of pineapple or of chamomile tea. Taste a small leaf, chew it up well to get the full flavour of the herb. Watch as the flowers develop to full bloom and if not yet identified then post pictures of the opened flowers or any seed pods on the mature plants.

dill: https://www.google.ca/search?q=dill+...biw=1120&hl=en

confetti cilantro: https://www.google.ca/search?q=confe...biw=1120&hl=en

pineapple weed: https://www.google.ca/search?q=pinea...biw=1120&hl=en

chamomile: https://www.google.ca/search?q=chamo...biw=1120&hl=en

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-26-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 AM

Thank you Zoisite! I think it looks most like pineapple weed, thanks for the links!

I will keep my eye on that little bud which isn't changing at present. The plant has no aroma. But I do think it is lacy and pretty.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 PM

I knew I was missing something out and it finally came to me today when I picked up an Artemisia Abrotanum ‘Cola’ plant at a local specialty nursery.

Here are two additional possibilities for your mystery plants.

One is Cosmos which has leaves like yours but gets bigger flowers, in some varieties the flowers are produced in clusters like that cluster of buds you have on that one plant, others are produced on individual stems: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Cosmo...h=583&biw=1120

And the other possibility is Artemisia Abrotanum, a.k.a. Southernwood, (a relative of Wormwood) which like most other artemesias are highly valued traditional medicinal herbs that starts off small like yours but grow into big plants that produce relatively small flowers. Today I brought home the "Cola" variety: Artemisia Abrotanum ‘Cola’ – Cola Herb – Southernwood – MY GARDEN

Pictures of other varieties of Artemisia Abrotanum: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Artem...w=1120&bih=583

** A little hint for you - most of the time whenever you come across plants that have those lacy leaves like that, whatever they are they usually serve some important medicinal or culinary purpose. You just need to get a positive ID on them and research their properties before treating with them according to their properties.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM

Thanks, Zoisite! Among the possibilities, I think pineapple weed is closest. All the lacy plants now have buds. Assuming the buds do something, soon we shall know (or at least, know more.)

Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 AM

If it's not too boring, I have an update. I am very glad I did not weed these plants, because they are producing delicate flowers. What a nice plant--lacy foliage, and delicate flowers.

The plants are covered with buds, so I hope it will be very colorful soon.

I went to a botanical garden in Princeton and saw entire sections given over to this plant, but it started to pour before I could find a plaque to identify them. I will have to go back.

I have a picture of the flowers, and one that is covered in buds.
Attached Thumbnails
Flowers or weed?-covered-buds.jpg   Flowers or weed?-one-them-has-flowers.jpg  

Old 06-11-2020, 09:50 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
That's quite pretty, grats. BTW someone once told me the only difference between a weed and a flower is how you feel about a plant. I tend to agree.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post

........I went to a botanical garden in Princeton and saw entire sections given over to this plant, but it started to pour before I could find a plaque to identify them. I will have to go back.

I have a picture of the flowers, and one that is covered in buds.
That's rocket larkspur, a type of delphinium. There are other delphiniums that have different kinds of leaves too.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's rocket larkspur, a type of delphinium. There are other delphiniums that have different kinds of leaves too.
Yes, wow, that is it! Thank you. Now, thanks to you, I know what both my "weeds" are, Dianthus barbatus and rocket larkspur. I'm glad I kept both!

Old 06-13-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's quite pretty, grats. BTW someone once told me the only difference between a weed and a flower is how you feel about a plant. I tend to agree.
Thank you so much. I agree as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden