Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times

Advertisements

Mine is 24x24, we built it out of thick wood, 8x2 inches, we also painted so it would last long, it fits snuggly in our alley of 30 inches, nothing else grows here and this one did. So that’s why I know it’s a survivor, or another word for invasive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,981,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Mine is 24x24, we built it out of thick wood, 8x2 inches, we also painted so it would last long, it fits snuggly in our alley of 30 inches, nothing else grows here and this one did. So that’s why I know it’s a survivor, or another word for invasive.
Thanks for the info. A couple of questions:

1). Is your alley in full sun or shaded?

2). Do you drill holes at bottom of the planter?

Old 06-06-2020, 12:16 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
Recommend you plant in a polypropylene nursery bag. This will facilitate moving the tree if needed, soil is not in direct contact to work container (if used) or to any other pot. We visited Raintree when they were in Oregon, longtime ago. One of their suppliers is Lucile of Whitman Farms | Growers of unusual trees and shrubs since 1980 . We bought many specialty trees from Lucile and only a few miles from us. She is very interesting and knows her stuff (She has a PHD in Greek//Latin).

Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thanks for the info. A couple of questions:

1). Is your alley in full sun or shaded?

2). Do you drill holes at bottom of the planter?
It’s shaded, there no need for hole because it’s not sealed tight, because the bottom is also wood. I tried to upload the top of this tree but C-D won’t let me.
Attached Thumbnails
Planting a mulberry tree?-f1c483b3-af53-453e-90ab-530bdaa5b7d4.jpeg  

Last edited by NewbieHere; 06-06-2020 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It’s shaded, there no need for hole because it’s not sealed tight, because the bottom is also wood. I tried to upload the top of this tree but C-D won’t let me.
Thanks again.

The reason I asked if it's shaded because the particular space I have in the backyard is partially covered by a tall tree from neighbor's backyard so it only gets full sun from 2pm to 7pm in summer time. Glad to see it grows well in the shade.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Recommend you plant in a polypropylene nursery bag. This will facilitate moving the tree if needed, soil is not in direct contact to work container (if used) or to any other pot. We visited Raintree when they were in Oregon, longtime ago. One of their suppliers is Lucile of Whitman Farms | Growers of unusual trees and shrubs since 1980 . We bought many specialty trees from Lucile and only a few miles from us. She is very interesting and knows her stuff (She has a PHD in Greek//Latin).
A grow bag is a good idea. I went on Amazon and see different size of bags are available. Also on the website it recommends to move from 5 gal, to 10 gal, then 20 gal sizes from one year to the next.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:07 PM

I bought my Gro Pro 20 gallon containers from non Amazon source, they are very sturdy. If I were to do it again, I would plant my mulberry tree in this type of container.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I bought my Gro Pro 20 gallon containers from non Amazon source, they are very sturdy. If I were to do it again, I would plant my mulberry tree in this type of container.
Another good input. Just bought a 5 pack 20 gal grow bag from Amazon. Looks like i am all set except for the delivery in October

Old 06-06-2020, 03:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
OK. You guys convinced me to consider planting in a container instead.

How big of a pot? I am thinking building it my own out of 2X4 and plywood. Do I drill holes at bottom for drainage? If so, wouldn't the roots find its way to through the holes to the soil?

Quote:
A grow bag is a good idea. I went on Amazon and see different size of bags are available. Also on the website it recommends to move from 5 gal, to 10 gal, then 20 gal sizes from one year to the next.

Planting it in a bag which is placed inside your slightly raised home made wooden container is a good idea, it makes it easier than lining and stapling the inside of the container with porous garden cloth before filling it with soil - also easier to remove the entire bag with rootball and tree intact out of the container if necessary. You can poke drainage holes in the bottom of the bag if you think it is necessary. Excess water will drain out between the cracks of your wooden container.

If you make a wood box instead of buying a container you should use solid 2 x 4 wooden studs, not plywood. Plywood is fabricated from shaved wood or pressed wood pulp and wood chips and glue, it will swell up, bend, crack and deteriorate and fall apart within a couple of years because of exposure to water and the other natural elements.

Personally I wouldn't bother with graduating to larger sizes of bags or containers every year. I suspect that suggestion to change to larger sizes every year may be a ploy to encourage people to purchase more new products every year.

If I was planting the dwarf tree into a container (with or without a bag) I would plant it directly into a 20 - 30 gallon container right at the outset and leave it in there to grow to it's maximum size. You can estimate the size of containers and amount of soil needed for them from the charts shown at this website: https://harvesttotable.com/container...oil-do-i-need/

I like the way NewbieHere has her mulberry's wooden pot elevated off the ground on the concrete bricks. That will ensure greater longevity of the wood container and there will be no rot on the bottom or burrowing and chewing from wood-eating insects because of contact with the damp ground. (i.e. pill bugs, wood lice, termites, millipedes and other similar wood-eating beasties). So I'd suggest you do the same thing with your wooden container if you make one. Put it up on a few bricks. Stain it or paint it. It will look nice.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-06-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 03:27 PM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Another good input. Just bought a 5 pack 20 gal grow bag from Amazon. Looks like i am all set except for the delivery in October
October? Sheesh, I got my 10 gal. grow bags in 3 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden