Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times

Advertisements

I live in So Cal. Not sure if this bush/tree is dead or just not green because it's "Fall". There are a few green leaves still. But I'm wondering if I should just yank it out and plant something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this bush dead or just not green?-img_7579.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 11:06 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Sure looks dead.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:18 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I live in So Cal. Not sure if this bush/tree is dead or just not green because it's "Fall". There are a few green leaves still. But I'm wondering if I should just yank it out and plant something else?
Are there any other of the same type of shrub you could compare to? If one is dormant the others probably would be too. If you bend branches (not just small twigs but larger ones) are they totally brittle all the way through or is there a green supple core? If you scrape off the bark is there live tissue underneath? Probably dormant. If the branches are completely dried out and dead the plant probably is, but how plants appear in dormancy differs. Location affects it too.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...ts-wake-up.htm

Old 11-10-2020, 01:42 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Are there any other of the same type of shrub you could compare to? If one is dormant the others probably would be too. If you bend branches (not just small twigs but larger ones) are they totally brittle all the way through or is there a green supple core? If you scrape off the bark is there live tissue underneath? Probably dormant. If the branches are completely dried out and dead the plant probably is, but how plants appear in dormancy differs. Location affects it too.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...ts-wake-up.htm
The OP can also try to trim a few branches to see if they are green. Sometimes a blight or fungus can affect part of it and the OP might just want to trim that part off.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP can also try to trim a few branches to see if they are green. Sometimes a blight or fungus can affect part of it and the OP might just want to trim that part off.
Good point! Test branches in different areas around the bush.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
There are some intact leaves and 2 or 3 remaining single yellow button flowers that identify it (for me) as an old, woody tansy bush, although a closer up picture of the leaves and that one intact yellow flower sticking up to the upper right would offer more confirmation of what species of tansy it is.

Anyway, I think it is dead rather than dormant and I would get rid of it, pull the whole thing up by the roots to get the whole rhizome out of the ground. It looks to me like it has a grey coloured fungal infection that has effected the wood and leaves and killed it very suddenly, I don't think it has gone like that from going into winter dormancy. So you don't want something with a catastrophic fungal infection on it nearby the other living plants there which might contract the same fungal infection. Those other plants are not tansy, btw.

If it's tansy, even if it was dormant and came back to life next spring, if you have children that like to pluck flowers, dogs that like to chew on sticks or other curious pets on the grounds then you likely wouldn't want tansy on your property anyway. All parts of the tansy plant is extremely toxic if ingested and that includes the bark and deadwood. Tansy contains alkaloids that can cause irreversible liver damage to humans and animals if chewed on or consumed. Also, tansy can spread by underground rhizomes and become invasive on domestic properties, so although there is a right place and use for tansy in the wilderness and it's beautiful when it's healthy, its place is not in a flowerbox or garden bed beside your house.

PS - I'd suggest you spray those other plants and rocks near it with an anti-fungal treatment just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-10-2020 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 01:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Here are a few more pictures of the leaves close up. What kind of plant is it? Also I took a couple pics of the other bushes in the planter.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this bush dead or just not green?-img_7591.jpg   Is this bush dead or just not green?-img_7592.jpg   Is this bush dead or just not green?-img_7593.jpg  

Old 11-11-2020, 02:29 PM

With one exception those other shrubs don't look too happy either. I'd probably remove all that have any dead branches, inspect the green bush for damage or pests, leave the planter soil empty for a season, analyze the nutrient content, and replant. If you find any damage on the remaining green shrub maybe take a stem to a nursery and ask for advice. Can't really tell anything from your pics.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
It looks like a plant I have that does the same thing. I think it's a mum of some kind.
Mine goes dormant for a few months, looks dead like yours, but I water it alitte.

And now, it's starting to bloom again. So, i would say leave it awhile and see what happens. Won't hurt anything.

I'm in the central valley, up aways from you...

Old 11-11-2020, 02:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Thanks for the additional pictures. I believe that is tansy ragwort Jacobaea vulgaris and it is an old plant. When it was first planted as a young plant it would have been very attractive and bushy with fern-like leaves and many clusters of yellow petaled daisy-like flowers.

Tansy ragwort Jacobaea vulgaris is in the Asteraceae family, (just like chrysanthemums are too so it shares some similarities) it is classified as an invasive toxic noxious weed and it has a bad smell that gives it a lot of other impolite common names because of its stink. It is a biennial to perennial species depending on location but it is a short lived perennial - maybe having a lifespan of 4 or 5 years and it can reach a mature height of 3 to 6 feet high. As the plant ages into old age it becomes woody, leggy and spindly (like that plant of yours) and produces less and less flowers and leaves with age and becomes more susceptible to diseases and fungal infections.

Further information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobaea_vulgaris

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden