Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 04:08 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Don't run ethanol gas in small engines and they will last a lot longer.

There was an era where the plastic float or fuel line or whatever couldnt take the ethanol. Anymore its mostly that the ethanol gas doesnt hold up well to setting long periods. Though will say I have noticed the rubber fuel line, though it claims it tolerates upto 10% alcohol, does deteriorate faster.

I use alcohol gasoline in my mower, but at worst it will get some moisture and I have to drain the carb float bowl. Then good to go.

Hey if you can get the non-alcohol gas without serious hassle, thats no doubt best plan, but the alcohol gas isnt total disaster if you dont neglect draining gas or using Stabil before storing mower long periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:20 PM

335 posts, read 187,913 times
Can I just say that I absolutely love this mower? I love that I don't smell gasoline and that I can rinse the bottom off. I have a smaller grass area- about 25 by 125 ft, but this has worked so well. You can purchase an additional battery if you have a larger area. I have had it two years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-16...-207150002-_-N

I just reread your post and saw the note about the rugged terrain and large area. I'm not sure this mower would be best, but I have kind of pushed it to the limit cutting pretty tall grass and it held it's own.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Whats the most years that a push mower has lasted you? Friend mentioned giving $800 for a Honda push mower. Whole mower is Honda, not just engine. Didnt even have the GXV engine, had GCV. She loves the thing. Said she got tired of replacing the cheapo mowers every year or two. It also has some fancy variable speed transmission for the self propel. But $800? I got to looking and the cheapo mowers were $200 and up. Seriously? I still remember the bargain $49.95 mowers. And always been a $100 mower for several decades now that they could advertise to get people into store to try and upsell them. Absolute cheapest I found new in 2020 was $169. I wouldnt give over $50 for it.

I bought a new mower in 70s with 3.5hp flathead Briggs and got 12 years out of it, changing oil frequently, etc. But have heard of some of GXV Honda lasting 20+ years. Until I moved here 30 years ago usually just bought used mowers for $10 or $15 since I didnt mind wrenching on them. Get 5 year out of a $15 mower and it owes you nothing even if it is a bit loud and smokes a bit. Those are now more like $60 to $100. Sure glad the govt assures me we have had no inflation all this time.

Me, i need a more rugged mower for uneven terrain and some tall grass. For 20 or 25 years have had an old Yazoo from 1950s. Course have had I guess three engines on it. Last one being 5.5hp Predator vertical shaft from Harbor Freight. Really annoying the modern engines no longer have oil drain plug. Seriously using one of these engines on belt driven mower, makes draining oil difficult, you cant just tip it over, sets up to high. Last time had to remove engine from mower to drain oil. Wasnt a happy camper.

Oh I do have second working mower. Friend with the Honda gave me her old Murray high wheel that she couldnt keep running from not long after she bought it new. Plastic carburetor... SERIOUSLY? I made an adapter and put an adjustable carb from ancient Tecumseh on it. Runs nice. Its still cheap mower. But starts easy and nice backup mower. Heard this Briggs has some internal plastic parts so not expecting long life from it. Heck saw some mowers that say not to change the oil, just add if low. Ok... guessing thats code for this engine wont last more than two or three years no matter what you do, so dont even try.
That's not a push mower if it's self propelled.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's not a push mower if it's self propelled.

If I dont sit on top of it, then its a push mower. If you want to get all technical those old reel type mowers YOU push with NO ENGINE OR ELECTRIC MOTOR are only true push mowers.

How about we call it a walk behind power mower?

Old 06-22-2020, 04:50 PM

Oh interesting, guess you can replace the timing belt on a Honda GCV or GSV. Wonder how much a belt costs. Edit: Ok DuckDuckGo is my friend, its $10. https://www.amazon.com/Honda-14400-Z.../dp/B008Z5TBWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2t8iiDgCw

Old 06-22-2020, 05:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
If I dont sit on top of it, then its a push mower. If you want to get all technical those old reel type mowers YOU push with NO ENGINE OR ELECTRIC MOTOR are only true push mowers.

How about we call it a walk behind power mower?
Agree about the reel mower and the first self propelled mowers were reel mowers with power usually with a simple belt down to one wheel or the axle. Totally adjustable mowing height and the clean cut of the scissor like reel blades as opposed to the chopping of radials.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:01 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times
Although my old Troy Bilt has a drain plug, I prefer to use a topside oil changer to remove used oil. Having one of these around is worth the $50 or so they cost at Northern Tool.

Friend came over with an old SAAB that needed an oil change. Hot day, didn't want to take it in the garage so I put a couple of boards on the grass, had her drive up on them. Raises the car a couple of inches, if a guy is not a fatty, if the car is not a Corvette, that's usually enough to do an oil change. Some Nimrod had torqued the drain plug with an air wrench I guess, couldn't get it out. Topsider to the rescue. A note though: While the topsider will generally drain an engine though the dipstick tube, for example on a Ford 4.6, at least one of 1995 vintage, the dipstick tube is too thin and has too tight a bend in it, won't work.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Modern cars, it takes lot thinking just to get to stuff lot times. Few years ago when she was still alive, my ex was low on money and asked me to change oil in her Nissan Frontier. Fine, pickups usually enough room.

I get over there and I swear I couldnt get my hand or any wrench I had anywhere close to oil filter. I am sure there was a special Nissan wrench or else you maybe could find one of those that you drive with ratchet that looks like big socket and fits on end of filter. I just gave her enough money to take it to Walmart.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:14 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,074,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I always believed the best strategy is to purchase new super-cheapo mowers brand new ($150-$180). Use them for 2 seasons, maybe 3, then trash them (send to the landfill).

No oil changes, filter changes, blade sharpening, etc. No burden of ownership. Cheap and hassle free.

USE IT. TRASH IT. REPEAT.

And don't bother with the environment police crap, global warming nonsense. I don't worry about fake catastrophes.
I'll one-up you, I pay a guy $20 a week to mow and edge my 1/6 acre lot, he even bags the clippings and puts them out by the street. No gas purchases, no blade-sharpening, no oil changes, no leaking seals. Been paying the same price for the past ten years - about twenty to twenty-four cuts per year, which includes in the fall where the leaves are vacuumed up (I have a couple of trees and do probably two rakes a year myself in the late fall, plus pick up the dog poop myself). Dependable and safe.
What yard?

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 06-22-2020 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 11:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
I have a robot mower and I haven't mowed my lawn completely in over 2 years now. Great investment that paid itself in just a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden