Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 09:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
If you’re not 110% positive you’ve reached the desired height you want, and then sleep on it, and double check for 125% sure the next day - then do not clip the top!!

Toss some basic 10-10-10 around them to feed them. It’s safe, won’t burn them up, and they’ll be happy. I listened to some twerp at a nursery last year who talked me into some crazy fertilizer that ultimate roasted a couple of blue spruces of ours, after two years of successful 10-10-10 and great growth.

I put in 14 more in the spring of 2019 at 5 feet. They’re now getting established and staring to take off, approaching 8 feet now on most.
its funny how i go back and forth. my thinking has been that i am so happy with the growth this year that id like to give it another year on its own because i feel like it will be where i want it soon if it has another year like this one.

i bought a whole bunch of these jobes evergreen fertilizer spikes. i think i have enough for one more application to all the trees. its kind of annoying because i have to hammer each one into the ground. once i use them up, im switching to 10-10-10 that i can just sprinkler around,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 05:46 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny how i go back and forth. my thinking has been that i am so happy with the growth this year that id like to give it another year on its own because i feel like it will be where i want it soon if it has another year like this one.

i bought a whole bunch of these jobes evergreen fertilizer spikes. i think i have enough for one more application to all the trees. its kind of annoying because i have to hammer each one into the ground. once i use them up, im switching to 10-10-10 that i can just sprinkler around,
lol @ Hammer them in. Isn't it annoying when they break on you? I used those things a couple times and couldn't wait to finish the box. lol. They do work though but I agree...annoying.

Holly Tone will work good as well.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol @ Hammer them in. Isn't it annoying when they break on you? I used those things a couple times and couldn't wait to finish the box. lol. They do work though but I agree...annoying.

Holly Tone will work good as well.
yeah, when they break i just start hammering the pieces like crazy until they are under the dirt. i got a big box of them since i have about 80 thujas to fertilize. its not the worst thing in the world but im definitely over it.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
If you have a battery operate drill drill a hole and drop the stake in and hammer if necessary. It is faster than the hammer method.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:54 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
My Costco has the Green Giants back in stock, $19.99 in case anyone wants to plant them now as it is a good time before winter sets in.
They also had the Emerald Green's and some beautiful 10 gallon Leyland's ($58.99) for those who still like them (read up on them before you decide to plant).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden