Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you sweep sidewalk/curb/driveway yourself?
Yes 26 65.00%
No 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,150,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please post after the first jogger slips and gets hurt.

Please explain, leaves is an act of god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:43 PM

10,113 posts, read 6,463,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
True, but failure to remove them can be negligence if they become wet and slippery, the same as not clearing your sidewalks of ice and snow.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:48 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
Quote:
Now, I am envisioning that very reply in a smug manner to your wife. I too have a lawn service but if my grounds become unkempt for any reason I will take care of it or DH will for me. That said I have neighbors that share your thinking. There is no right or wrong rather a pride in your home.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:31 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times
Quote:
Wife says we should do it now because it looks bad
Thank her for volunteering, and hand her the broom.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,986,931 times
Quote:
I am having an "argument" with my wife and looking to get it settled. We had bad wind last couple of days so the sidewalk/curb/driveway got bunch of leaves on it. We have garner come every week to mow the grass and clean up. Wife says we should do it now because it looks bad and i am arguing there is a reason why we are paying someone to clean it up.

Would you clean it up yourselff?

No, I would not.

Have your wife clean it up, and have her pay the gardener for her work.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,571,553 times
Yes, I would clean it up myself just as I would clear the sidewalk of snow in the wintertime for both safety (wet leaves can be slick!) and aesthetics.

When's the gardener next due for a visit?

Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,150,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Yes, I would clean it up myself just as I would clear the sidewalk of snow in the wintertime for both safety (wet leaves can be slick!) and aesthetics.

When's the gardener next due for a visit?
Monday, he was here on Monday but we had heavy winds latter in the day on Mon and Tuesday so it's a mess now.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,571,553 times
Quote:
Monday, he was here on Monday but we had heavy winds latter in the day on Mon and Tuesday so it's a mess now.
Yeah, as much as it might be tempting to wait until next week, it might be wise to get on top of removing the leaves.

In interest of fairness, I think that you and your wife are both correct in your own ways of thinking when it comes to this "argument." In my eyes, where she's wrong is assuming that it's solely your job to take on this task. If you do the leaf removal together with her, the work would go faster. Free exercise, too!

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-28-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-28-2020, 08:50 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
True, but failure to remove them can be negligence if they become wet and slippery, the same as not clearing your sidewalks of ice and snow.
I don’t know the validity of what I was told. Maybe an attorney can weigh in. A former neighbor of mine never cleared ice or snow from his home. The mailman stopped delivering mail because he felt it too dangerous and the homeowners told they could pick the mail up at the PO. The mailman said the property owner was advised that one should never clear because if some one were to slip and fall an argument could be made that it was not properly cleared, whereas uncleared you walk at your own risk.

Have no clue if true or not but given the litigious society we live in, I would not be surprised at all.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times
Quote:
I am having an "argument" with my wife and looking to get it settled. We had bad wind last couple of days so the sidewalk/curb/driveway got bunch of leaves on it. We have garner come every week to mow the grass and clean up. Wife says we should do it now because it looks bad and i am arguing there is a reason why we are paying someone to clean it up.

Would you clean it up yourselff?
Is the sidewalk and curb on your property or is it a public sidewalk and curb alongside the public road in front of your house?

If it's public then it's your responsibility to immediately clean up leaves, snow and ice. Whether or not you clean it yourself or hire somebody else to do it for you is your problem but it still needs to be done right away. If a member of the public slips and gets hurt in front of your house because you neglected to clean up the leaves you can be sued and your homeowner's insurance will NOT cover the liability expenses and medical or legal costs that you'll be facing.

If it was on my property and the leaves were bothering me I'd get a service person to come attend to it or else I'd clean it up myself right away so neither I or someone else in my household gets hurt on it. Also I don't like having to go to all the extra trouble and expense of bleaching and scrubbing all the absorbed slime and leaf stains off the concrete later.

If the sidewalk and curb are on your private property you can do what you want but if you leave it and don't hire someone to come clean it up right away and you don't do it yourself then I think you are the one who is lazy, not your wife because at least she recognizes something needs to be done right away.

I think you and your wife should both clean it up together. Maybe that will give both of you a better appreciation of each other.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden