Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

We just bought two hibiscus trees from Costco, really nice and one is droopy already. I kill every plant and don't know why. So the tree was in a store, no sunlight hardly any water and it was fine, I have it sitting in the same pot in the yard and it looks droopy. What am I doing wrong? Does that mean too little water or too much? Too little sunlight or too much? The tag said, lots of sun and keep watered but not sitting in standing water. That's what I'm doing but the leaves are facing down. Please help! I kill every plant I get and don't want to lose this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
It's probably dry and may be in shock from suddenly being exposed to the sun. Don't panic.

Water each one daily for the time being. Mature plants often use up all of their water reserves in the pot they came in. If you can transplant them into slightly larger pots their watering requirements will be less for awhile.

Use potting soil that has those moisture holding crystals, or buy your own and mix a tablespoon full into each gallon of soil. That will help some.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:38 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If you move a plant from inside a store, where it's getting little or no light, then move it out into the sunlight, it takes several days to a week to re acclimate.
If it's in a container, it will need to be watered once every day. Water it thoroughly until you see water run out the bottom hole.
If you took the plant out of it's original container and transplanted it into another container, follow the above instructions.
But if you disturbed the root ball by losing a lot of soil, then repacked it with more soil, then it may go into shock, which may take several weeks to come out of.
If it's in shock use a root stimulator, found at Garden Centers, to re-vitalize your plant. Follow it's instructions on the label.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Thank you, it's not looking good, very droopy. I never took it out of the container, it's just sitting outside next to my front steps in the planter it came in. I've been watering it everyday and it's getting sunlight, so maybe it's just in shock, as said. I hope I don't kill it.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
How cold has it been there? I know its normally warm in SC, but if you've had some cold nights - that could effect it. It is a tropical and shouldn't really be outside below 50+ degrees. I take mine in when it goes below 60 at night, just to be safe.

One thing about hibiscus - they are TOUGH. Even if they lose all their leaves (which I've had happen several times over the years, just keep them in a sunny place and water every day or every couple of days (let it dry out in between waterings) and new leaves come back.

They are VERY HARD TO KILL.

Oh.. mine also get SPIDER mites (every year, no matter what house, apartment, state I'm living in) .. but when they are outside that is not an issue. If you think insects (like spider mites) could be the problem - look at the junction of the leaf with the branch - you will see webbing - that is a sure sign of spider mites.

Good luck, don't give up on it. But make sure it is in a pot that DRAINS - not one of those decorative covers that don't let the water out.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Hibiscus can tolerate temps down to 32 degrees. Do not let it go dry between waterings. It is a tropical plant that needs to stay moist, not wet. If you do not have a moisture meter, then get one at a Garden Center. They cost around 5-6 dollars. They will tell you when to water the plant(s). They pay for themselves in saving plants. The #1 cause of plant failure is improper watering.
I suspect in your case it's a matter of re-acclimating to the outdoors from being indoors. This will require some patience. If it should die after a couple of weeks, then it would be another problem you are not aware of.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
Sounds like it needs water. I have them and they need lots of water... everyday. If the leaves are turning yellow.. too much water.. if just droopy.. needs water. Like another poster said.. hard to kill them. Transplant it - they always seem to be root bound. Lots of water..... good luck.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Yes, I gave it a lot more water the last two days and it seems a little better but I did notice a couple yeloow leaves. I'll see in a couple days what happens. There's lots of buds on it, I hope they open!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Some yellow leafing is normal, a lot is overwatering. Hibiscus will show yellow leaves with green veins when overwatered, and that also means a lack of iron. The iron gets washed out with the overwatering.
With that said, if you have yellow with the green veins showing, then get some liquid iron and use it with your next normal watering.
Also, Miracle-Gro or Bloom Plus works wonders on Hibiscus. Blooms and color galore.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
rapture
I am not sure what kind of pot they came in, we had them at our Costco but I didn't look closely I think they were in 3 gal containers
you might want to look at the bottom of the pot to see it there are any little roots sticking out.
many times these plants are very root bound you can gently lift it out of the pot to check
Hibiscus are pretty tough when I have forgotten to water mine on the back patio they get droopy but bounce back pretty quick when watered.

as others have suggested when taking a plant from an artificial lighting to "the real world" you have to "harden them off"
this can be done by putting them in a shady area and slowly moving them to full sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden