Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 07:54 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Does anyone still even use Dichondra for their lawn? Way back in the day it was a popular thing to have in Southern California. My dad was so proud of his dichondra lawn. It was fussy stuff, hard to keep looking good. I can still picture him out there fertilizing and mowing it. Babying it, really. It was beautiful but a PITA. He once made me get rid of a dog because of all the pee spots. (Dichondra is very susceptible to urine.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichondra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 08:13 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I remember Dichondra lawns. Lovely to walk through in bare feet. As kids we were often given the job of weeding it by hand with an asparagus tool. But we did need to keep it watered.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:30 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I also remember my parents fussing over their SoCal dichondra lawn! We kids were always being told to be careful and not to run around on it and mess it up. This would have been in the 1970s.

Snails loved dichondra. My parents would go out in the evening with a flashlight to stomp on snails together; it was like their date night.

It was a relief when they, and most of our neighbors, gave up on it and planted St. Augustine or something else that was hardier.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Does anyone still even use Dichondra for their lawn? Way back in the day it was a popular thing to have in Southern California. My dad was so proud of his dichondra lawn. It was fussy stuff, hard to keep looking good. I can still picture him out there fertilizing and mowing it. Babying it, really. It was beautiful but a PITA. He once made me get rid of a dog because of all the pee spots. (Dichondra is very susceptible to urine.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichondra
We have a dichondra lawn in our back yard, only because it's in dense shade where it's impossible to have a conventional lawn (which would be bermudagrass; we're in the Phoenix area). Right now it looks kind of sad, but once it warms up it really starts looking nice. It doesn't require much mowing, maybe once a month in the summer. The biggest headache is keeping the weeds out, as they either need to pulled by hand or carefully spot sprayed.

Yes, it does not like dog urine. Thankfully dogs seem to have evolved to "do their business" far away from the den (the house), so most of the pee spots are way in back by the fence.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:51 AM

So cool that you can have dichondra in the desert! Interesting that dichondra does well in AZ. I lived there for several years, but in the "arid belt" as opposed to Central Phoenix where the homes are more traditional.

My dad's lawns front and back were both dichondra, but the backyard got a lot of sun and didn't do as well. The front lawn did great as it was north, and shaded by trees. I can remember my dad out there for hours, weeding. He did use a tool, shaped like a screwdriver or a knife (don't remember).

I priced out dichondra a couple years ago and where I was living it was really expensive for a very small bag.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:11 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
I priced out dichondra a couple years ago and where I was living it was really expensive for a very small bag.
The seed is certainly expensive at Home Depot. I haven't looked elsewhere, as the yard was already established when we bought our house. We've only needed some seed for patching areas that died. It does spread, so if you are patient it will repair itself. I'll guess it spreads 1-2 feet in a year here in Phoenix area.

I wouldn't recommend it for people who want a perfect lawn. It is a lot of work to keep it from becoming a weed patch. I pull the weeds that come out easily, and carefully spot spray the rest with RoundUp. I basically put the nozzle on the weed and give a small squirt of spray. The tiny dead spots fill in quickly, and since the ground cover is tall they're honestly not visible from a distance of 20 feet or so.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I also remember my parents fussing over their SoCal dichondra lawn! We kids were always being told to be careful and not to run around on it and mess it up. This would have been in the 1970s.

Snails loved dichondra. My parents would go out in the evening with a flashlight to stomp on snails together; it was like their date night.

It was a relief when they, and most of our neighbors, gave up on it and planted St. Augustine or something else that was hardier.
I forgot about the snails. Yes, I'll bet dichondra is like butter lettuce to a snail. I remember my dad out there picking snails all the time. I think he dropped them in a bucket of salt water. That's funny about your parents!

Old 02-04-2022, 12:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Wow, I remember our dichondra lawn in SoCal. I haven't heard about it since we left there in '67, lol. I've never seen any since.

When I got my first house in Mission Viejo, I discovered Korean grass that grows in clumps and bumps. It was so hard to get established and weeded until it filled in, but so much fun to look at. Neighbors called it the Smurf grass. Great on hillsides, no mowing. Common here in So. America too.

I have wondered a few times if dichondra is still a "thing" or not, too!

Old 02-04-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I remember Dichondra lawns. Lovely to walk through in bare feet. As kids we were often given the job of weeding it by hand with an asparagus tool. But we did need to keep it watered.
Yes it was, and my dad was always yelling at us kids to stay off of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow, I remember our dichondra lawn in SoCal. I haven't heard about it since we left there in '67, lol. I've never seen any since.

When I got my first house in Mission Viejo, I discovered Korean grass that grows in clumps and bumps. It was so hard to get established and weeded until it filled in, but so much fun to look at. Neighbors called it the Smurf grass. Great on hillsides, no mowing. Common here in So. America too.

I have wondered a few times if dichondra is still a "thing" or not, too!
I guess it's a Southwest thing? Except luv4horses you're in NC, right?

Old 02-04-2022, 12:53 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Yes it was, and my dad was always yelling at us kids to stay off of it!

I guess it's a Southwest thing? Except luv4horses you're in NC, right?
I was a kid in Orange County CA. That’s where the parents grew a beautiful Dichondra front lawn. It was so pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden