Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 08:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times

Advertisements

Have any of you lost your green thumb "all of a sudden"?

I have always had lots of thriving house plants and raised a few from the brink of death for friends of mine.
But a while ago, I downsized into a south facing apt and the plants I bought to decorate it did not thrive no matter what I tried ( fert., location, grow lights, re-potted of course). I have never ever had this trouble before.

The sun getting into my apartment is iffy at times. All two windows face south but face out to a balcony that is like an alcove (inset from the exterior plane). Flowers on the balcony thrive like crazy and me too.

Spider plant, no. Deiffen, no. Split leaf philo, no. What should I try next? Dracena?,,, What's been your success?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 04:08 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A ZZ plant is a beautiful houseplant that thrives in shade and low water. I’ve had mine for years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamioculcas

Old 01-31-2022, 06:16 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Have any of you lost your green thumb "all of a sudden"?

I have always had lots of thriving house plants and raised a few from the brink of death for friends of mine.
But a while ago, I downsized into a south facing apt and the plants I bought to decorate it did not thrive no matter what I tried ( fert., location, grow lights, re-potted of course). I have never ever had this trouble before.

The sun getting into my apartment is iffy at times. All two windows face south but face out to a balcony that is like an alcove (inset from the exterior plane). Flowers on the balcony thrive like crazy and me too.

Spider plant, no. Deiffen, no. Split leaf philo, no. What should I try next? Dracena?,,, What's been your success?
Maybe there is a draft and that is impacting them?

Old 01-31-2022, 11:53 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I was wondering the same, only about growing zucchini.

Everyone can grow zucchini. It's a running joke. The gag about leaving baseball-sized zucchini on a friend's porch, ringing the doorbell, and running away was so true for me ... until I moved to a different state with a similar climate. Suddenly I can't grow zucchini - if bugs and rot don't kill the plants, then they don't produce any female flowers. It's darn weird.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Everyone can grow zucchini. It's a running joke. The gag about leaving baseball-sized zucchini on a friend's porch, ringing the doorbell, and running away was so true for me ... until I moved to a different state with a similar climate. Suddenly I can't grow zucchini - if bugs and rot don't kill the plants, then they don't produce any female flowers. It's darn weird.
I can’t grow them here either. In Ohio, you’d have to lock your car to keep the neighbors from giving you zucchini when your back was turned.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Hi, not only my green thumb but also my cooking without a recipe talent hit the skids too.
I thought both would get better with age, like everything else (?). NOT.

We shouldn't give up yet. Keep trying and find the secret again. lol

Old 01-31-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Maybe there is a draft and that is impacting them?

Nope. This apartment is sealed up tighter than a drum.

But thanks for weighing in.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A ZZ plant is a beautiful houseplant that thrives in shade and low water. I’ve had mine for years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamioculcas

Thanks for that. I would get one of those if I can find them in northern Canada! lol

I like something a little bit bigger, more like trees. A corn plant I had once didn't need much care and it got up to about 6'. I will look for one of those too.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

..... The sun getting into my apartment is iffy at times. All two windows face south but face out to a balcony that is like an alcove (inset from the exterior plane).....
Kitty, I think I know the perfect plant(s) for you to try for that location because the location and light you'll get there is perfect for these plants. They are Anthuriums, a.k.a. Flamingo Flower. They are green plants with heart-shaped leaves on long stems but the individual "flowers" on them are actually leaves called spathes that are different colours, and they each have an odd, small cylinder shaped seed producing flower called a spadix growing out of the coloured leaves. All of the leaves on these plants last a very long time, even the ones that have the flowers on them.

Anthurium/Flamingo Flower varieties can be acquired with shiny "flowers" that are purplish-black, maroon, violet, mauve, deep red, bright scarlet, pink, orange, golden-yellow, white and one variety whose most exquisitely beautiful flower is a combination of red, pink, white and green blending smoothly together with a deep maroon seed flower growing out of the multi-coloured leaf. You can see an example of that one right at the beginning of this website that has information about anthuriums and their required growing conditions.

https://www.ukhouseplants.com/plants...lamingo-flower

I can tell you they are super easy to care for and it's almost impossible to kill these graceful plants. They are beautiful, great as air scrubbers and a very mature healthy plant may reach heights of 3 to 5 feet tall. I have one that is now 11 years old and is a sturdy upright 4 feet tall. They are evergreens but when the individual leaves get very old and are dying they very slowly change to bright autumn colours that last a long time before eventually turning brown and the leaves drop off.

Here are additional pictures of anthuriums:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=anthu...ih=541&dpr=1.5

I keep my anthuriums with my Phalaenopsis orchids which basically call for the same light, normal room temperatures, humidity and watering conditions and Phalaenopsis orchids are also really easy plants that I'd recommend you try in your location. Here are pictures of phalaenopsis:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=phala...h=541&biw=1118

Old 02-01-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I would get one of those if I can find them in northern Canada! lol

I like something a little bit bigger, more like trees. A corn plant I had once didn't need much care and it got up to about 6'. I will look for one of those too.
In that case, I usually have a potted palm going. If and when it poops out, I pitch it and get a new one. They’re about $15 at the DIY stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden