Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 07:28 AM

45 posts, read 49,652 times

Advertisements

I had two boxwoods removed from the green section of my property (along with a bunch of other dead boxwoods that I replaced with azaleas), and I am looking for suggestions as to what to replace them with.

Please see the first picture which shows the area, I want to add two new plants, one on both sides of the fountain. I am open to suggestions, as I know nothing about gardening, and am trying to learn. I'm having new pine straw put down on Friday, so disregard the gray.

On the side of my house, it looks like there were hydrangea that died, I need to remove the stumps, but any suggestions as to what to replace it with? I have two hydrangea further down the same side, so thinking to put something different with a lot of color. Also, how hard is it to remove the stumps that are in the picture? The last stump the landscaper had to tie a rope to his fender. Also the flower to the right in that pic, does it just need more water? What is it? I sprayed weed spray so hopefully those weeds die soon.

Thank you so much everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
If you could add your location to your profile and tell us which side of the house this is on, how much light it gets and what kind of soil you have (base, acid, clay, sand, dry, soggy, etc.), it will greatly improve the suggestions.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:46 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
The last photo: the plants with the sword like leaves are irises: look like they finished blooming.
They only bloom 2-3 weeks a year. Clean the spent blooms. They don’t like too much water generally - unless you see them drooping their sword like leaves - and no rain in forecast - give them a drink.

Your landscape so called knock out roses seem to do fine - I would buy and plant the same if you like them and have a suitable climate for them so you don’t have to water them- just extend them in that place along the wall to cover the gas meter - and even further - I would re-plant the irises somewhere - they don’t provide much in the space by the wall
You could plant the roses in a slight checkerboard pattern?

You don’t need to pull the hydrangea roots - just cut them to the soil level if they are dead - they even may come back?if you want to keep hydrangeas?
The hydrangeas usually do not have stumps - that was something else growing there - meaning leftover stumps - unless it was hydrangea arborescens

Again, just use the pruning saw to cut the stumps to the soil level - plant new shrubs between them

For the fountain - it could be pleasant something narrow, tall and skinny - on both sides - as it has a formal look there.

As we don’t know your climate or taste - it could be anything from ‘Sky Pencil’ variety of Japanese holly - if you like the look or a couple of fancy obelisks with some clematis integrifolia - as clematis integrifolia is not a vine but more like a tall perennial which blooms much longer - most of the summer - compare to other types of clematis - which has a limited 2-3 weeks bloom.
It would go with that formal look you have going in the first photo

Note that the clematis on the photo - is NOT a clematis integrifolia. Just to show how the obelisk may look like

Clematis integrifolia has much less spectacular fliwers - but much longer bloom period ( if it is suitable for your climate and the garden placement/;they like shady moist roots and their tops in the sun for more blooms)

Below is one of the varieties of integrifolia clematis
http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk/2012/...t-of-week.html
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions for two sections of my house-img_4389.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-16-2023 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 01:50 PM

Thanks, I am in zone 7, there is clay. Front of the house is partial shade, the side of the house looks about the same. I really am not great at this so I apologize. Any ideas for the green area? I want to add something that basically would complement what is already there - that section I just want green...was thinking another boxwood, but I want something a bit more....unique.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
Thanks, I am in zone 7, there is clay. Front of the house is partial shade, the side of the house looks about the same. I really am not great at this so I apologize. Any ideas for the green area? I want to add something that basically would complement what is already there - that section I just want green...was thinking another boxwood, but I want something a bit more....unique.
This is how the ‘Sky Pencil ‘ variety of Japanese holly looks like - taller but very narrow

If you are not a gardener - keep it simple so you don’t have to fuss with it: small size dwarf evergreens or those knock out shrub roses you already have - just add more?

Big box stores and every nursery has those
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions for two sections of my house-img_4390.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-16-2023 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
Zone 7 could be A and B.

Drive around,see what other pretty to you yards have planted: snap photos - ask at a reputable nursery to replicate and tell you Latin names: you then could look up on horticultural or nurseries sites for the best placement in your landscape and what care needed.

Go for very low maintenance plants
P.S
Try to cut the stump with the pruning saw to the soil level - cover it with mulch: plant shrub rose just in front of the stump-use sharp showel or small axe to cut through smaller roots for rose planting - do not dig deep -6-8” should be enough?make a saucer type shape to spread the roots of the rose or whatever other shrub out, not shoved it too deep

Where the fountain is - you could just leave it as is. Again- keep it simple - you have enough plants there

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-16-2023 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 02:19 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
My husband makes easy work of small stumps with a Sawzall. Just cut around the roots and pull or shovel.

You seem to have a trouble free group of plantings, so maybe just leave them be? In front of the water meter I’d probably put a Holly. I like to use the branches to decorate at Christmas, so I always have at least one in my yard, and the birds like the berries in the winter.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:32 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 05-16-2023, 02:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Zone 7 could be A and B.

Could also be anything from Chesapeake Bay to southern New Mexico to the Pacific Northwest. All very different climates. Hence my suggestion to add a location (like a city, not a zone) to the OP's profile.

But IIRC, the OP lives in Georgia. I'd suggest some small fothergilla for the side of the house. They bloom early when most things are dormant and they're colorful in the fall. They sell them at Home Depot.

Azalea and holly are beautiful of you have acid soil.

Next to the fountain, a standard rose of sharon on each side might look good if there's room for them. Whatever you plant, keep the mature size in mind and allow a few feet around the plants to keep them trimmed.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:59 PM

Thank you, yes, Georgia is correct. I updated it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden