Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 10:09 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You jinxed it for me too! I hope you have summer weather in winter, this means the Jet stream would be dipping in the Northeast and bring me cold and snow, I'll take it! When you get cold, I get hot. Wow at all those dropped fruit there. No compost bin?
LOL, yeah, we occasionally get Summer weather during Winter. (I'm a mile from the Pacific, just above San Diego, for reference.) That means our "cold" days are 57-58F. In the "dead" of Winter. Supposed to be 83F here, tomorrow (due to Santa Ana's, blowing off the dez.) We don't know what snow is. Near as we can tell, it's what goes into a margarita?

We do have a compost container, that gets emptied every Monday. We used to fill it with this fruit and olives that fell, but it got heavy. Now, I give bags and bags and bags away, to neighbors and co-workers. They seem to like it. (In the pic, the kid is trying his hand at growing peppers. Got a bowl of "ghost peppers" ready for those pesky "trick-or-treaters!" LOL. .

Still have some cherry tomatoes on the vine, here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 05:12 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A friend has bamboo; but, he had concrete installed so it would not spread to neighbors.
Just the fact that you need concrete to stop it tellls you how invasive it is.

Old 11-01-2023, 12:50 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Just the fact that you need concrete to stop it tellls you how invasive it is.

I do not get why he wanted all the Bamboo. Now it's unkempt and the entire yard is a sea of dropped dried out bamboo material. 20 years later I am not sure it's what was original envisioned. Personally I have Arborvitaes and Dwarf Southern Magonolia trees. I had to take out my two 20 year old Amur Maple trees after they got severely wind damaged. The Amur maples were huge natural bird feeders, but, they were a nightmare to keep up with as they grew so fast (until they were damaged and crxpped out).

I do have a couple heavenly bamboo (which are really well behaved).

Old 01-05-2024, 01:27 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yeah, they aren't bad.

Funny thing...the smooth ones that just fell, are sour. Let them "season" in the sun and get wrinkly, and they get sweet. The picture was after I filled some grocery bags and took to work, to get rid of them. Crazy thing is, they're $6/ea in Michigan, I hear.
i saw this article today and immediately thought of you.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-ho...er-tank-cover/

Old 01-07-2024, 09:39 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
I do have a couple heavenly bamboo (which are really well behaved).
That's Nandina. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and most states now classify it as a “noxious, non-native, invasive weed” as it can escape into and invade natural areas. I had to pull all of mine out because it spreads everywhere here. I still have it show up in my beds here and there, even where it was never planted. It isn't yet on the VA state invasive plant list but several cities in VA do list it as invasive. It's really awful here.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:30 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's Nandina. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and most states now classify it as a “noxious, non-native, invasive weed” as it can escape into and invade natural areas. I had to pull all of mine out because it spreads everywhere here. I still have it show up in my beds here and there, even where it was never planted. It isn't yet on the VA state invasive plant list but several cities in VA do list it as invasive. It's really awful here.
Mine are super well behaved and slow growing (and beautiful).

https://www.monrovia.com/sienna-sunr...ly-bamboo.html

Old 01-08-2024, 07:10 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Mine are super well behaved and slow growing (and beautiful).

https://www.monrovia.com/sienna-sunr...ly-bamboo.html
Yeah it depends on the location. In the southeast, it should be avoided.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:13 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i saw this article today and immediately thought of you.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-ho...er-tank-cover/
Now that it's Winter, the passion fruit are not dropping fruit at the rate they were just a few months ago. But, the plants are LOADED with green fruit. Mine has engulfed a chain-link fence perfectly.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:52 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I don't regret planting anything. Every mistake taught me something.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:20 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
I do not get why he wanted all the Bamboo. Now it's unkempt and the entire yard is a sea of dropped dried out bamboo material. 20 years later I am not sure it's what was original envisioned.
Bamboo is the #1 things most experts tell you to never plant. It will grow into a forest and impossible to control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden