Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 04:10 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times

Advertisements

Just stick your finger in the soil. Surely you can tell the difference between dry, moist, and soggy?

Sheeeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 04:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
So, I got a new meter.

How does this make any sense?
It makes sense if there is a disparity in the space taken up by soil compared to space taken up by air pockets or tangled root mass.

Are you watering the plant from the bottom or the top? You should always insert the probe in 3 or 4 different places each time you take a measurement then you'll see where there are dry spots and wet spots.

When was the plant last re-potted? I think that pot looks too small based on the size around of the plant stem. That's an indication that the plant might be becoming overgrown and top heavy for the pot, that there might be a thick mat of roots that are becoming crowded together, and that air pockets can be developing in places in the soil. If there are air pockets that you're inserting the probe tip into it's not going to register moisture.

My suggestion - repot the plant into a bigger container with roots spread out, water it in well to let soil settle down so you don't end up with air pockets in the soil, then take a moisture measurement a couple of hours later. It should read wet. Then in another week take another moisture measurement. You should get different readings every week. Remember to always insert tip in 3 - 4 different places.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 991,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It makes sense if there is a disparity in the space taken up by soil compared to space taken up by air pockets or tangled root mass.

Are you watering the plant from the bottom or the top? You should always insert the probe in 3 or 4 different places each time you take a measurement then you'll see where there are dry spots and wet spots.

When was the plant last re-potted? I think that pot looks too small based on the size around of the plant stem. That's an indication that the plant might be becoming overgrown and top heavy for the pot, that there might be a thick mat of roots that are becoming crowded together, and that air pockets can be developing in places in the soil. If there are air pockets that you're inserting the probe tip into it's not going to register moisture.

My suggestion - repot the plant into a bigger container with roots spread out, water it in well to let soil settle down so you don't end up with air pockets in the soil, then take a moisture measurement a couple of hours later. It should read wet. Then in another week take another moisture measurement. You should get different readings every week. Remember to always insert tip in 3 - 4 different places.

Cool - thx.

So, if one area is nice and moist, and the other dry, should I water that area only?

Last edited by riffwraith; 02-01-2024 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 11:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Cool - thx.

So, if one area is nice and moist, and the other dry, should I water that area only?
No. If you re-pot the plant properly with roots spread out evenly and soil evenly dispersed and covering ALL of the roots then the water you give it should all be able to soak evenly downwards throughout the soil.

You didn't answer my question asking if you are watering the plant from below or from above. And you didn't say when was the last time the plant was re-potted.

If you are watering from above you should not be pouring all the water onto just one spot, you should be putting a stream of water into the pot in a complete circle that goes all the way around the plant stem about halfway between the central stem and the inner wall of the pot.

Can you post a picture of the whole plant as it is now? The second picture shows what appears to be a number of dead or dying brown and yellow leaves that should not be left on the plant. Are there any green leaves on that plant? If you have no green leaves on it then I think the plant is probably dead.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:08 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
So, I got a new meter.

How does this make any sense?

Makes total sense. Looks like your meter is touching more roots which hold more moisture. Also, water doesn't filter downwards evenly. Use a glass and water it, watch how the water flows, there will be dry spots/gaps.

How far down is the probe?? If only 2 inches than dont water yet.

If you went deep than check the top of soil, which looks very moist to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden