Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2024, 08:10 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times

Advertisements

My son's Eagle project is to build a bocce ball court for a local community pool. The Board of Directors has decided they no longer want the court in the original location, and the spot where they want to put the pool is very soggy. Son doesn't have enough time to do another proposal, so his only choice is to make this project work.

Another scout put in a gaga pit in roughly the same location, and they raised the area for the structure with gravel. My concern is that, having experience with a headache-inducing rock garden in my own yard, over time the gravel is going to sink into the ground.

Will landscaping fabric help? Is there another way to prevent the gravel from working its way into the soil (clay)? He could just put the gravel down, build the court, and let whatever happens happen, but I'd like to see the project done the right way and be a lasting benefit. At the same time, major grading or drainage isn't possible for the scouts to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 04:42 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
My son's Eagle project is to build a bocce ball court for a local community pool. The Board of Directors has decided they no longer want the court in the original location, and the spot where they want to put the pool is very soggy. Son doesn't have enough time to do another proposal, so his only choice is to make this project work.

Another scout put in a gaga pit in roughly the same location, and they raised the area for the structure with gravel. My concern is that, having experience with a headache-inducing rock garden in my own yard, over time the gravel is going to sink into the ground.

Will landscaping fabric help? Is there another way to prevent the gravel from working its way into the soil (clay)? He could just put the gravel down, build the court, and let whatever happens happen, but I'd like to see the project done the right way and be a lasting benefit. At the same time, major grading or drainage isn't possible for the scouts to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Probably best to post in a construction forum (if there is one). What about driving rebars deep and a thick layer of cement?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I would suggest that he point this out to them. The last thing any Eagles scout wants is to have a project fail.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Is there a parent in the troop that has some experience with landscaping? Grading? We've had Scouts reach out to local businesses for assistance on a number of occasions.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:44 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
You are going to want to put landscape fabric down to control weeds. Maybe multiple layers. I'm assuming he's not pouring a concrete slab or laying a professional surface. I built one in my yard in the desert, and it has weeds taking root in the surface material (fine crushed stone) and it will be more of a challenge in a wetter climate. I compressed the surface, but I also have had field mice burrowing tunnels under the fabric. I use a landscape rake to remove the few weeds and level the surface. It lasted about eight years so far without much serious maintenance other than painting.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:21 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You are going to want to put landscape fabric down to control weeds. Maybe multiple layers. I'm assuming he's not pouring a concrete slab or laying a professional surface. I built one in my yard in the desert, and it has weeds taking root in the surface material (fine crushed stone) and it will be more of a challenge in a wetter climate. I compressed the surface, but I also have had field mice burrowing tunnels under the fabric. I use a landscape rake to remove the few weeds and level the surface. It lasted about eight years so far without much serious maintenance other than painting.
Thanks. To everyone. Son has found a landscaper who is going to come look at the site (for free) on Monday.

I must have repped you somewhere else, since I couldn't do so here.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Thank you for raising such a generous and well intended son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden