Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:06 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I agree about the star magnolia. https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/arti...olia-stellata/
I will also say that I think crepe myrtle and the usual azaleas are very much overdone in much of the south. Alternative might be one of the many viburnums, weigela, dwarf burning bush (has a dramatic appearance in the fall), flowering quince for late winter/very early spring appeal (caution, thorns!)
I totally agree. I resisted for years and years until I caved. I got sick of trying things that died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 11:28 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A Star Magnolia might be fine, but I’d stay away from the traditional magnolias. They shed their leaves continuously and the spent flowers hang like dirty diapers.

You can’t really go wrong with Crape Myrtles. They come in all sizes and colors, are trouble free and the blooms last for months.
yep. and those leaves are tough. they laugh when i run over them with my lawnmower, and jump out of the cutting chute unscathed. aside from the messiness, i still like them.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Quote:
I agree about the star magnolia. https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/arti...olia-stellata/
I will also say that I think crepe myrtle and the usual azaleas are very much overdone in much of the south. Alternative might be one of the many viburnums, weigela, dwarf burning bush (has a dramatic appearance in the fall), flowering quince for late winter/very early spring appeal (caution, thorns!)

It was my understanding that burning bush is invasive pretty much everywhere in the US?!?

Old 03-27-2024, 11:56 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
It was my understanding that burning bush is invasive pretty much everywhere in the US?!?
I hope it isn't because it puts on a show in the Fall. I took this photo in October.. You can see the Burning bush hedge and the solo shaped one in the back.

Maybe an idea for the OP is the Burning Bush along the fence line?

Old 03-27-2024, 12:18 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Huh, I didn't realize that. Perhaps it's not a burning bush that I see planted all over my city medians, sure looks like it though. It looks not to be on the list of invasives for AL, though that still doesn't mean it would be a good idea to plant it.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Huh, I didn't realize that. Perhaps it's not a burning bush that I see planted all over my city medians, sure looks like it though. It looks not to be on the list of invasives for AL, though that still doesn't mean it would be a good idea to plant it.
It might be photinia that you're seeing. It's often mistaken for burning bush.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I hope it isn't because it puts on a show in the Fall. I took this photo in October.. You can see the Burning bush hedge and the solo shaped one in the back.

Maybe an idea for the OP is the Burning Bush along the fence line?
The problem with burning bush along a fence line is that it can spread by roots under the fence to the other side of the fence onto the neighbour's property. Burning bush is indeed highly invasive and as an ornamental it must be carefully monitored and kept trimmed back year round at ground level to prevent it from spreading and displacing other vegetation.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It might be photinia that you're seeing. It's often mistaken for burning bush.

If you mean red tip photinia, no. I've seen plenty of those and these are not the same, plus the bushes never seem to grow over 4-5' tall. Next time I run errands I'll try to get a closer look at one of the bushes in a neighbors yard and see if I can spot any identifying characteristics. This is an older area so it's possible the bushes have been here for a loooong time.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A Star Magnolia might be fine, but I’d stay away from the traditional magnolias. They shed their leaves continuously and the spent flowers hang like dirty diapers.

You can’t really go wrong with Crape Myrtles. They come in all sizes and colors, are trouble free and the blooms last for months.
We have a star magnolia is the yard across the road. The leaves are MASSIVE (over 4 inches long and almost as wide) and when they fall, it takes our neighbor hiring a lawn care service to get them out of his yard. He’s fine with the rest of his yard.

Yes, they are pretty but so are Bradford Pears to look at.

What I would do is check with a local nursery to see what grows best in your area/soil. And then google the tree to see the good and bad of each one.

Example, we inherited a huge Sycamore in our yard. Leaves are also massive and it sheds bark like no tomorrow. Knowing what we do now, we won’t put a Sycamore in our yard.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:26 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The problem with burning bush along a fence line is that it can spread by roots under the fence to the other side of the fence onto the neighbour's property. Burning bush is indeed highly invasive and as an ornamental it must be carefully monitored and kept trimmed back year round at ground level to prevent it from spreading and displacing other vegetation.
When they did a massive chemical spray along a parkway near here I was on the fence why they had to use chemicals.

Well... the following year my Burning bush was dead. I now suspect the town did it; but it concerns me even more thinking that I was miles away from their targets along the parkway and it affected my landscape. Scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden