Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:35 PM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Compost is not for poop. Human, bear, dear, rabbit, ... no.
How about horse and cow? Bat guano was big in agriculture at one time while chicken and pig waste is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 02:46 PM

7,296 posts, read 5,173,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Seasoned horse manure also works in the compost pile. Many swear by it, I prefer manure from dairy cows. Then again, I like dairy cows better than beef cattle.
Horse manure has a good deal of partially digested grass fiber which is great for modifying soil texture. Cows ruminate and chew/digest their food several times, so to speak, and has much less fiber....The nutrient content is essentially the same.

Horse manure only takes a few weeks to turn mellow enough for use as soil ammendment.

I've used soil made of 100% horse manure to start seeds for the past 20yrs with excellent results.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:18 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,219,841 times
Quote:
Compost is not for poop. Human, bear, dear, rabbit, ... no.
Cow manure from a dairy operation makes excellent compost. It includes bedding ( in this case straw) from the barn. I unload a spreader wagon into a pile and over the next years it becomes incredible material. Chicken manure from coop cleaning is another excellent compost material, Hi P, and has the wood chips from the floor maintenance. Probably any poop would work well given a good carbon source included. The 2 above have the carbon intimately incorporated in already so no 'work' to mix nor any expense to procure required.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:29 AM

19,835 posts, read 22,741,465 times
We use aged chicken manure from my neighbor. He's got a huge pile of it from over the years. Bad side- weeds. Lot's of weeds.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:55 AM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Cow manure from a dairy operation makes excellent compost. It includes bedding ( in this case straw) from the barn. I unload a spreader wagon into a pile and over the next years it becomes incredible material. Chicken manure from coop cleaning is another excellent compost material, Hi P, and has the wood chips from the floor maintenance. Probably any poop would work well given a good carbon source included. The 2 above have the carbon intimately incorporated in already so no 'work' to mix nor any expense to procure required.
Cow is not a carnivore neither is chicken aside from the occasional worm.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Neither are deer or rabbits.

Rabbit manure tends to be high in nitrogen.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:25 PM

19,835 posts, read 22,741,465 times
There is no way, NO WAY I'm walking around my property scooping up deer or rabbit pellets for compost, lol. I'd go down the road to a family that has about 3 dozen head of cattle and take my tractor and clean out the lean to shelter and plop in a trailer, but hand raking deer and rabbit pellets?

Old 04-30-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There is no way, NO WAY I'm walking around my property scooping up deer or rabbit pellets for compost, lol. I'd go down the road to a family that has about 3 dozen head of cattle and take my tractor and clean out the lean to shelter and plop in a trailer, but hand raking deer and rabbit pellets?
I thought the same thing but didn't mention it.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,219,841 times
Quote:
Perhaps you haven't done much animal husbandry for flying animals. They eat almost anything, and insects are a go to for them. 'Chickens are omnivores, just like us. This means that naturally, they would eat seeds, plants, insects, earthworms, snails, small animals such as frogs, mice, and even some snakes. They are also great opportunists, happy to peck at a carcass or forage grass seeds. Unfortunately, It’s this opportunistic nature that can backfire and turn them into egg eaters. '
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We use aged chicken manure from my neighbor. He's got a huge pile of it from over the years. Bad side- weeds. Lot's of weeds.
Correct. Aged =/= composted. That is why composting it properly, usually mixed with manure and greens, is RQD. Burn up the seeds. If you are in a big hurry or can't quite manage composting you can put it in a very fine filter situation and leach it. You loose the carbon but get the fert. You can avoid the filter if you mix in a vertical tank, like 55 gal drum, skim the floater seeds. Don't stir up the bottoms. Necessity is the mother of invention ... I have been successful with a small shallow pit located on a high area, sufficiently berm-ed to prevent overflow. That soaks in with every rain or your watering and transports through the root zone. I have shallow clay hardpan so the only way it can move is horizontal in the root zone. Deal with any sprouted weeds as you like. Keep adding grass clippings and it smothers and composts.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

77 posts, read 18,554 times
The horse compost we got was likely very aged already. We have a stable down the street that opens in summer for the tourists so it was there for a few years before we got it. It's been working out fine.

I remember when we raised chickens and used that manure, we did have to pull up many weeds. Not so much here but it could be we have snow half the year. It's a ski resort area.

Does anyone happen to know what this plant is? It's a volunteer in the compost pile I just planted.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone use Deer or Bear Poop for compost?-screen-shot-2024-05-05-5.07.59  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden