Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times

Advertisements

With spring coming up here in Minnesota I need some help with my apple trees. I hate them! I have three of them and I am soooo tired of picking up rotten apples in the fall. We don't do anything with the apples (we inherited these beautiful trees when we bought our house) so I want to get rid of them.

Here's the question. I heard that you can spray the tree with some formula so the apples won't bud and grow. I love the shade of the trees, just not the apples. Does anyone know what I can do to make the apples go away without cutting the trees down? I'm ready to call good ole George Washington to help me out if I can't figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Oh you poor sick puppy! Why don't you invite us all over in the fall to pick them before they fall on the ground? Are they just not edible?

Honestly, call your county extension agent and see if there is a solution. Otherwise, invite friends over when they ripen. Someone may want them to make cider. Or give them to a homeless shelter or food bank.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM

346 posts, read 1,779,519 times
We are nursing one apple and three pear trees - four years later ONE (1) pear.
It is a mess ok. Bribe/pay kids in the neighborhood to clean up, mulch the mess, bake pies or cut the trees. Maybe the extension office has an idea.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Cut off all the branches, and graft peach branches in their place! Walla...no more apple issues. Hey I have a hundred of these great ideas.

No really...I wish I had your problem. Dont deer come in and eat them?

Old 03-23-2007, 05:01 AM

I live in the 'burbs of Minneapolis so no deer in my neck of the woods, although I wish! The problem with giving them away to shelters etc. is that they will not take fresh fruit...has to be from a store. Anyway I have to spray the trees throughout the summer to keep the bugs and worms from the apples. It has to be done daily and I just don't have time to do that every day.

I had heard somewhere that you could spray your tree with a special solution and it would keep it from bearing fruit, but not harm the tree.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,057 times
put oy a sign free apples you pick or put in paper here in mo they take fresh fruit at shelters of food pantres might give them a try

Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 PM

I wish I could. My goal is to get away from having to spray the trees daily. I may just deal with it for now. thanks for all the advice!! I'll check back in the fall and see if anyone wants apples.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I would! I'd try to grow some of them!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I wish I could. My goal is to get away from having to spray the trees daily. I may just deal with it for now. thanks for all the advice!! I'll check back in the fall and see if anyone wants apples.
I would love to. Wouldn't that be funny if we all showed up for C-D party, part III, the apple fest?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I would love to. Wouldn't that be funny if we all showed up for C-D party, part III, the apple fest?
Yep I would be more than happy to welcome all C-D'ers to come pick apples from my trees! I have three trees that are just beginning to bud. I can smell the work begin. I may just spray the trees and do something with the apples. It's just that I do not like to eat apples. Can't stand them. I'm the odd one in the family...everyone else can't get enough of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden