Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Mulching mower is the best option. If it does discharge what I do with my commercial mowers is discharge everything in away from the street driveway and side walk.

With a mulch plug on the mower it should not be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
marykate1
How big is your lawn do you have a picture

We have maybe 1/4 of an acre but still use a mulching mower
A lot will depend on the type of grass you have. Here in NE FL we have St. Augustine grass which would be quite the work out to use a reel mower.

As others have said you shouldn't have an issue with the clippings blowing since there is no motor causing a big air flow.
You want to make sure the mower cuts the pieces small enough that they don't lie on top of the lawn which can cause fungus and thatch

For edging you can get an edger/weed whacker combo that you can pop on the different attachments like edger, weed whacker and even a blower to blow the edging cutting and any grass cutting back onto the lawn.
Leaving the cutting on the lawn equals an extra nitrogen treatment per year.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 AM

925 posts, read 4,710,192 times
Thanks Karla,

I will surely post a picture of my lawn. It is not big at all.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Here is the mower that I am interested in:

Brill Razorcut 38 push reel mower

I have the scotts type Reel mower
Yardiac.com - Scott's 20" Classic Mower

Yours looks way better.
Mine is a basic mower that works well BUT the handle is a pain and after several months of use would continue to become loose and fall off as I mowed.
I had to bolt it in place which limits its movement now and 'mower" doesn't turn as it should but I had no choice.

It does cut well and I keep the setting at 1 inch .

I have the Florida thick type grass and yet cuts great . I don't remove grass cutting .
It pours and grass cutting wind up being carried out by downpour into the street and sewer .

I have heard grass cuttings wind up burning the grass not helping it if left on it to long .

In my case I havent noticed that but others have .

Old 10-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
marykate1
How big is your lawn do you have a picture

We have maybe 1/4 of an acre but still use a mulching mower
A lot will depend on the type of grass you have. Here in NE FL we have St. Augustine grass which would be quite the work out to use a reel mower.

As others have said you shouldn't have an issue with the clippings blowing since there is no motor causing a big air flow.
You want to make sure the mower cuts the pieces small enough that they don't lie on top of the lawn which can cause fungus and thatch

For edging you can get an edger/weed whacker combo that you can pop on the different attachments like edger, weed whacker and even a blower to blow the edging cutting and any grass cutting back onto the lawn.
Leaving the cutting on the lawn equals an extra nitrogen treatment per year.
--------------

"St. Augustine grass which would be quite the work out to use a reel mower. "

So true the only way you can do it is to keep it cut . I cut the grass weekly during rainy season than twice a month during non rainy season.

If I let the grass get to high its a big pain. I have to cut it as highest setting after that then lower setting to 1 inch and cut it again.

No way I can go with 1 inch from the get go if grass is high .
My yard is fairly small With 1/4 acre I wouldn't use a reel mower lol as just takes to long .

Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
can I hijack just a wee bit with a reel / push mower question?

Thanks.

My neighbor says a mower like this won't work on my yard as I have a lot of weeds and clover (not as much grass).... she says the weeds are too thick. Anyone know?

I found a secondhand push mower on Craigslist for a reasonable price. I am sick to death of other mowers... every gas one I've ever had has given me problems starting, and the 2 electric ones I've had have died or given me problems. I'm tired of only getting half the yard done before something dies so I figured avoiding gas OR electric would be best.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
can I hijack just a wee bit with a reel / push mower question?

Thanks.

My neighbor says a mower like this won't work on my yard as I have a lot of weeds and clover (not as much grass).... she says the weeds are too thick. Anyone know?

I found a secondhand push mower on Craigslist for a reasonable price. I am sick to death of other mowers... every gas one I've ever had has given me problems starting, and the 2 electric ones I've had have died or given me problems. I'm tired of only getting half the yard done before something dies so I figured avoiding gas OR electric would be best.

I wish I could say I didn't know about weeds lol but I do and yes it will cut weeds no problem .

Worse case you have to go over the weed from 2 different angles as some lay down and pop up after the mower has gone over them but as far as cutting it certainly will cut them .

I oil/spray with wd-40 the blades now and than and what a difference but oil or not it will cut your weeds .
If blade stops moving than it means something caught that stops their movement but easy enough to than remove what is stopping it and those are usually twigs ,little sticks.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone! We just got our reel push mower. My husband assembled it completed the front yard and back yard. The total time for both the yards combined was approx 1 hour. We have small front and back yard.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I've always preferred the manual reel mower. I believe most people do it with a conventional powered mower because everybody else does it. And, they have the mistaken idea that clippings have to be removed, but no real reason for backing that up.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM

My husband told me that the Reel Mower is adjustable and right not it is set to 2-1/8 inches. So, I guess the grass will not be longer than 2-1/8 inches after it has been CUT. Is that the normal measurements to go by. I saw my neighbor and it seems that their grass was very very small. Looks like 1.5-2 inches.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden