Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,779 times

Advertisements

I don't know what mine is, but I know what it DOES: Digs small holes all over my lawn, in planting beds, and seems to have a particular fondness for digging down among the roots of newly planted trees and shrubs. I never see the critter, only its handiwork. I doubt it's squirrels because I never see them digging here (and we're talking HUNDREDS of holes in the lawn, so it'd have to be entire battalions of squirrels for that) at any time during the day. So it must be something nocturnal. Holes are too small for chipmunk boltholes and in any case they aren't deep enough (about an inch); plus, I've never seen a chipmunk in our immediate area.

It's occurred to me that it could be either raccoon or possum: Both nocturnal, which would explain the appearance of new holes literally overnight. Perhaps the critter is digging for grubs (of which there are plenty, as I don't use chemicals).

In any case, this Mysterious Noctural Digging Critter is the #1 Pest in my garden. What's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,401 times
Rabbits here are good at stealing all my tomatoes! I like tomatoes... But I guess they like them more! lol!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
OvertaxedonLI (that's a long one) it sounds like you have moles in your yard. My grandmother in MN had the same symptoms.

My worst is moose. I had to put up an 8 foot fence last year just to keep them out of the garden. And this winter they chewed my crab apple trees down to stubs. Seems they always wait until the peas are perfect and they attack. They also will walk down the line and take a bite out of califlower and cabbage. They don't eat the whole thing...just one bite out of everything.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM

892 posts, read 2,372,389 times
Gophers!! hate em. If I plant bulbs you can just sit there and watch the plant get sucked right down a hole. I have dogs and cats so I can't poison them. The cats get the ones in the driveway but the cats won't go in the yard with the dogs. I have tried so much crap and I did get them under control for a few years but this year they are back with a vengeance.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
I don't know what mine is, but I know what it DOES: Digs small holes all over my lawn, in planting beds, and seems to have a particular fondness for digging down among the roots of newly planted trees and shrubs. I never see the critter, only its handiwork. I doubt it's squirrels because I never see them digging here (and we're talking HUNDREDS of holes in the lawn, so it'd have to be entire battalions of squirrels for that) at any time during the day. So it must be something nocturnal. Holes are too small for chipmunk boltholes and in any case they aren't deep enough (about an inch); plus, I've never seen a chipmunk in our immediate area.

It's occurred to me that it could be either raccoon or possum: Both nocturnal, which would explain the appearance of new holes literally overnight. Perhaps the critter is digging for grubs (of which there are plenty, as I don't use chemicals).

In any case, this Mysterious Noctural Digging Critter is the #1 Pest in my garden. What's yours?

This is definitelya sign of moles! I have 'em too! I tend to like 'em because they eat all the grubs which tend to eat the roots of your vegetable and flower plants. They also churn the soil underneath for you too!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 AM

6 posts, read 28,695 times
Hi. I'm a horticulturist. Gophers and moles dig holes and leave a mound or 'trail' of finely dug soil in their wake. Gopher spurge has only limited (marginal) success. Gopher traps, properly placed are no harm to house pets. Why even have a lawn I wonder? Here in No Cal it's a silly and costly thing to have as our rain is seasonal and this is NOT back east. Besides, all that gasoline being used for mowers, leaf blowers, etc is quite annoying and wasteful...but then again, Arnie sports a hummer! What a looser.
Of course, I live in the country (Wine Country near Korbel Winery west of Santa Rosa on the Russian River.)
I detest those darned slugs and snails. Since it dropped to a record 22F in January we will be spared the glut of snails...but they will be back in full force by fall.
I also detest the deer who brazenly walk down the street nibbling at this and that. They keep the grape field protected. Did you know that where ever a deer has nibbled on a grape vine that the leaves get this weird curling business going on.
Nothing is 'X' proof. Absolutely nothing will stop a hungry or starving animal save destroying it and I'm NOT for that.
As far as weed pests are concerned...I am less than impressed with oxalis and wild onions.
s_m

Old 02-23-2007, 06:23 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,779 times
I am almost positive it's not moles, for several reasons: I've never seen even a hint of a molehill or trail (I do know what they look like, because a friend of mine who lived up on the North shore of LI -- about 20 miles away -- had problems with moles and voles and I saw the signs there); and I don't think the soil conditions here are what moles would like. I'm only a few hundred feet from the bay, and the water table here can be quite high especially during high tides. Although my particular neighborhood wasn't, many adjacent streets were originally saltwater marsh before they were developed in the 1960s. I don't think moles would choose to live in an area where their holes and trails are likely to fill up with water regularly; that's probably why I've never heard of anyone hereabouts having mole or vole problems. Up north where my friend used to live, the soil is heavier and richer.

Wild onions!! GRRRRRRRRRRR! I have those too, and they're practically impossible to get rid of. Beeelions and beeelions of bulblets, and all it takes is one to start a population explosion. Roundup doesn't seem to faze it, though there is a product called Image which is supposed to be effective on wild onion and wild garlic; but it's banned in NY State.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Slugs, snails and grasshoppers!!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
Default Slugs

Slugs are really the only problem in my Portland Garden.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Slugs are really the only problem in my Portland Garden.

Ive found a preety decent way to get rid of slugs. Beside slug bait I just fill up little saucers with beer. Slugs and snails are attracted to it and will go in the saucers and die..it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden