Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times

Advertisements

All of the flowers have fallen from my orchid and I need to cut it back while it hybernates.

Am I to cut off the stem that the flowers grew out of at the base of the stem?

Please help, I would love to see this bloom again.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
I got an orchid from a client six years ago, her maid told me not to cut the stem unless it dried up. That orchid has repeatedly bloomed new flower spikes off of that stem for the past six years, at least twice a year. This year it is on its third one. I have two others and they have only bloomed twice for one and once for the other and with both of them the stem dried up. I do not know if this will help you, but I fertilize mine with diluted coffee. Black only, no cream or sugar.
Attached Thumbnails
Orchid Question-mvc-430x.jpg  

Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
wow, what a beautiful flower! Hoping mine gets that big one day. Great job.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Beautiful Phal ! Mine has never had a cluster of flowers that closely packed. Maybe I need to try the diluted coffee.

I agree with the cutting off of the flower stem. One of mine is putting up a new flower stalk off of the end of the one that bloomed earlier this year. It was extra long so I had cut it back, to about 8 inches, at a notch. It had 3 stalks, and the other two died all the way back.

Other of my Phal's stalks have dried up, and I cut them all the way off.
I have 7 Phals, and only 3 of them have retained a green stalk.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Hmmm, so I guess I will leave the flower stalk/stem as is and just hope for the best. Cut it off if it dries up, otherwise leave it. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I got an orchid from a client six years ago, her maid told me not to cut the stem unless it dried up. That orchid has repeatedly bloomed new flower spikes off of that stem for the past six years, at least twice a year. This year it is on its third one. I have two others and they have only bloomed twice for one and once for the other and with both of them the stem dried up. I do not know if this will help you, but I fertilize mine with diluted coffee. Black only, no cream or sugar.
Are you serious about the coffee?????? Never heard of that... Who told you to use coffee? (just curious)

Are yours planted in orchid (bark) medium or in moss? Seems that the coffee would only supply acid to balance out the alkalinity.

Interesting...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Are you serious about the coffee?????? Never heard of that... Who told you to use coffee? (just curious)

Are yours planted in orchid (bark) medium or in moss? Seems that the coffee would only supply acid to balance out the alkalinity.

Interesting...
I originally heard about the coffee from a little old lady I worked for, she had orchids and violets and gave them diluted coffee. I use the little that is left in the pot. My orchids are in orchid bard in terra cotta pots and on the front enclosed porch facing east in a window. Sometimes if I have over a cup of strong coffee left over, I will fill the sink with luke warm water and the coffee and immerse the pots in the water for a few minutes and then drain. Epidendrums like the same treatment.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I have never heard of that before either. I wonder if that will work on my nun orchid that is in soil.

I do take the gallon milk carton when empty and fill it up with water, and put that on my violets. I read that somewhere and it does work in getting them to bloom. One caution, be sure you don't have any milk in the bottom or you get the sour milk smell. Don't ask me how I know that.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
I am new to this. I have an orchid that bloomed. I did not cut anything off. Now I have green leafs at the top with roots about 3 inches long. It looks funny, green leafs at the bottom, and green leafs and roots at the top. Do I cut the top one off and replant???

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
What type of orchid is your specimen?..If it is a species like Epidendrum,( cane or reed-stem) or Dendrobium..amongst a few others..the new growth you are seeing may be a new plant..if this is the case, allow it to grow a little larger and then cut it off the main plant and pot it up..Often, Epidendrums and many Dendrobiums will form "keikis" as they are sometimes refered to along the stems..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden