Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Zone 6b, NE Tennessee

I'm appealing to my fellow gardeners for help. I'm stumped.

The weather has been beautiful, so I've been doing some yard work, and I need help identifying whether these are keepers or not. This house was vacant last summer, so who knows what sort of weeds might have crept in and set up housekeeping.

1st pic, sort of bamboo looking type cane plants. I have a whole stand of these on a hillside, maybe for erosion control? They are between 1-3 ft tall right now, all of them are growing up through that dried shrubby looking stuff, so that might be what it looks like at the end of the season.

2nd pic is just a close up of same plant. Any ideas? Keeper or weed?

3rd pic, maybe some sort of volunteer shrub? 3 or 4 main canes, almost like a rose. Akwardly placed in the bed so I don't think it was planted there purposely, although there are some other plants in odd places so who knows.

4th pic I think is some sort of sedum? Pretty sure it's a keeper, but I'd love to know what it is. It's also squished behind the peony and I wonder if it has enough room there?

5th pic looks like a weedy vine to me, but I'd like to know for sure before I go pulling it. Pretty leaves though.

All thoughts appreciated, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Need some plant ID help-dsc01304.jpg   Need some plant ID help-dsc01306.jpg   Need some plant ID help-dsc01309.jpg   Need some plant ID help-dsc01310.jpg   Need some plant ID help-dsc01312.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
The third picture looks like an elderberry and the sedum is indeed a sedum. Picture number five looks like a type of morning glory. I am not sure about the first one, does it smell when crushed? It reminds me of a potato in the second picture, so I am thinking it might be a type of dahlia or maybe a sun choke also called Jerusalem artichoke, which is in the sunflower family. Dig one up and see if it has a tuber. Sun chokes can get over 12 feet tall and so can the cane type of dahlia.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks Dragonslayer
I crushed the leaves of that first plant, not much smell to it, maybe a slight tangy smell like sasafrass or sorell. Tried to dig one up too, and mostly made a muddy mess trying to soften up the brick hard red clay there, LOL. I don't think it has tubers, it looks like the plants are offshoots of a larger woody root system, hard to tell with the mess I made though.
I'd love for them to be some kind of dahlias but I think it gets too cold here for them to overwinter without protection? The seedlings look a lot like pokeweed, but I've never seen pokeweed with segmented stems like these have.
Elderberry is a thought, there is an open field near here that has some bushes with bunches of tiny little dried berries on them.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
1st I think is pokeberry, these can get huge and invasive I'd pull these out.
3rd one looks like a wild berry, I'd pull this, any thorns on this?
4th one is a sedum, will get flowers on the top I'd move that end of summer to another spot as it will get wider and need more room, this is a nice plant thats no fuss and looks nice every year.

5th I'd cut back the vine a bit and see what it blooms i think I've seen that before.(maybe a wild type morning glory)

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
Other than the sedum, the only one that I am pretty sure of is the last one. I am pretty sure it is a cinnamon vine. If it is, they can be rather invasive.
I do not think the first is pokeberry. We have them here, and it does not look the same.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Default Virginia Creeper

deleted because this appeared in wrong thread. Ooops.

Last edited by normie; 05-03-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
#5 looks like Bind Weed. very invasive and wraps around other plants and literally chokes them out.

i have a lot of it in the fields behind my house... hard to get rid of... if you try to pull it, the root/stem just snaps ... you have to kill it.

I just looked up Cinnamon Vine....
Quote:
Cinnamon vine, so named because the foliage is said to have a cinnamon scent when crushed, forms large, edible, long-lived underground tubers.
from this site.... Cinnamon Vine or Air Potato - Plant of the Week

Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
There are two differant species of the Dioscorea in this area. They have differant types of leaves, but both have bublets where their leaves join the stem, so they are also called 'potato vines'. I have the type shown in TCS's link. The other type is growing on the railing at our church building.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Well, #5 has gotten quite a bit bigger over the last week. Some of the leaves are palm sized now.
I think, from looking at the pictures in the links, it does look more like a cinnamon vine. I think I'm going to pull it up and stick it in a pot and let it twine over my deck railing and keep an eye on it. THX

I'll move the Sedum this fall and I think I'm just going to take out the bush in the third pic. I still don't know what it is but it's awkwardly placed and too big to easily move, so out it goes.

Now if only I can figure out the plant in the first picture. Does anyone know if there is any type of agency I could take this to and ask if it's an invasive plant, like my County extension office maybe?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
from my experience, the leaves on the Bind Weed do not get any larger with time.

I'm hoping to nip mine early this year... before it gets out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden