Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Hi, would you please write a quick "gardening 101" for me? I will have the opportunity to plant a few flowers/herbs (basil?/oregano?) and maybe even a few tomatoes around my apartment, and would like to have something beautiful but very simple as I am definitely not an experienced gardener. Any help? From gardening tools and where to buy seeds/bulbs to essentially what to plant and when. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Do you have space for something that will grow fairly big? If so, I think knockout roses are the easiest thing to grow and very satisfying. They bloom all summer long. Note: Make sure you get a knockout rose, not a regular rose. It's not one of those roses with long stems, it's more like a bush.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM

452 posts, read 1,723,283 times
The best tomatoes we ever grew were in those big wooden whiskey tubs. Some folks use regular flower pots..the big ones.

You might try grasses and petunias, marigolds and other fillers for summer in pots; it depends on how much sun/shade you get. Most plants come with tags to tell you what they like...sun or shade and what temps they can take. Pay attention to that and you can't go wrong. Ask your garden center employees. Even walmart will only sell the plants that do well in your own area.

A lot of bulbs must be planted in fall. It's a a good idea to plant perennials so, eventually, you won't have to plant anything but your veggies each year. The tags will tell you.."annual" or "perennial". Pansies are great for winter as is ornamental cabbage.

The picture I've included, was planted for winter with some summer pieces added for warm weather last month. The more you put in one pot, the better things seem to do; always use mulch on top...to keep moisture in. Actually, you can buy crystals to mix in the potting soil to keep moisture in longer. Pots dry out faster than the ground soil.

Hostas love shade..but snails will eat them if they're in the ground or close to the ground. I keep mine in a pot on a stand under our carport.

GOSH....somebody stop me!!!!

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Flowers for the inexperienced gardener-dscf0368.jpg  

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Miaiam, what kind of space do you have? Does it get morning or afternoon sun? Which direction does your garden space face? Are you planting in pots, or in the ground?

Oregano is a good thing to start with; chives are also easy to grow and aren't fussy. Potted basil will wilt if you don't water it enough.

Geraniums, both ivy and zonal, can take a lot of abuse and will grow in sun or partial sun. Marigolds also are tough.

Where to buy .... Find a good garden store. It might be a greenhouse, or a hardware store, or a roadstand market. The best way to find these places is through word of mouth (or hard experience!). Do you know anyone else around you who gardens?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Hi, Ohiogirl, there is quite a large area behind the apartment, so I can pretty much use it all. However, as I am inexperienced, I would like to start in a small area... I believe it gets the morning sun, and I might plant either in pots or in the ground, but I think it is waaaay nicer if I am able to plant in the ground!! Last time I planted something I was in first grade, a long time ago so I am very excited about having a small garden. I don't think people nearby have gardens, at least I have not seen any yet. I will ask them if I have an opportunity. Thanks much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden