Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times

Advertisements

to grow Dahlias. I seldom see any posts here for it. I grow them, and they are beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I used to grow all different color dahlias. What I didn't like, and what eventually stopped me from growing them, is that I had to dig them up and store them each fall. It is too cold where I live for them to stay in the ground.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
Latina7,

Excellent topic..and one i think which should be explored because, especially in a tropical-themed garden situation, Dahlias can add to the exotic perennial choices..Especially some of the Cactus and waterlily type varieties...

While im not a huge fan of the more often seen bedding types..The varieties i just mentioned present not only interesting flower forms but many vivid and/or bold color selections..

Id love to, once i own my own home,one of my dreams is create a grove using 4 or 5 exotic,crown-shafted palm species under planted with large bright scarlet, red orange, and magenta cactus flowering dahlias, Gentian and scarlet sages..among some other exotic looking tropical and Florida native perennials...

Recently, we got in a bunch of dahlias at the nursery im currently at and one variety we got, "karma" i believe, would certainly rival any spectacular,multi-colored hibiscus in flower size and color brightness..sadly, i waited too long to pick up one for myself..ohwell..lol

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I have a neighbor that grows them so well and ours barely put up anything in my yard. They are very beautiful!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Today, we received some truly stunning large flowering Dahlias..I will have Pictures to share tomorrow..heck, i might just have to buy one..

Im sure i can tuck it into a spot somewhere in the yard..

Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Ok everyone, here are some pictures of the Dahlias we got in, as id promised..

Does anyone likes-018.jpg

Does anyone likes-016.jpg

Does anyone likes-017.jpg

Does anyone likes-046.jpg

Does anyone likes-047.jpg

Are they not they just beautiful..

Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I have a neighbor that grows them so well and ours barely put up anything in my yard. They are very beautiful!
Probably, you are planting them too deep! I place mine here in NYC in pots, no deeper than 5 inches........... the flower is smaller that when they are in the ground, but still worth it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I used to grow all different color dahlias. What I didn't like, and what eventually stopped me from growing them, is that I had to dig them up and store them each fall. It is too cold where I live for them to stay in the ground.
I do mine in containers, sometimes I just trimmed them down to 3 inch stem, { this is a must} and leave them in the pots, other times, if the dahlia has grown very big, I would put them in vermiculite and pet moss, in a brown bag.

Is very cold here too, but they are worth it!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
JQ Public----I grew dahlias in Atlanta with great success and of course never had to dig them up. Are they hardy here or must we dig them up. I'm hearing all sorts of tales about my favorite perennials, cannas, lantana ansd dahlias are all annuals here. What can anybody tell me about this?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 PM

No Kudzu,

It sounds like your area might not be warm enough during the winter to guarantee that the perennials you'd listed will live over each year..which sounds kind of crazy since ( at least from what ive heard) N.C. especially nearer the coast, should be warm enough most years to keep even such perennials as Cannas and Dahlias going from year to year..especially with a thick mulch like pine straw applied before winter sets in..to keep the roots/tubers from freezing..if they would without that extra covering..

Here, things like Pentas..and Vinca (Actually Madagascar periwinkle), which are technically perennials are listed and placed with the annuals because they can freeze even with our lightest frost..

On the other hand, ive seen vinca live over for several years in a row..and recover from the winter blahs well before summer..guess those were located in a good micro-climate..which is something to consider when working with marginal-to-your-area plants..If provided, your specimens can last for years..while a neighbor has to replace them each year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden