Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times

Advertisements

I am nowhere close in comparison to your's but I am trying. Here are some before and after shots.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Backyard Garden Photos-landscape_003.jpg   2009 Backyard Garden Photos-landscape_001.jpg   2009 Backyard Garden Photos-landscape_005.jpg   2009 Backyard Garden Photos-0805091920.jpg   2009 Backyard Garden Photos-0801090828.jpg  

2009 Backyard Garden Photos-0801090828a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
That's going to be sweet when everything fills in!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
Yes , I am looking forward to that. I moved from the city and never had a garden, but I truly enjoy planting and watching them grow.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Do you have a lot of problems with seedlings from that mimosa? There is another discussion going on right now about mimosa, and someone said that in colder climates it probably wouldn't be a problem.

In my neck of the woods, I could never have a mimosa mixed in with "flower" beds....all my time would be devoted to pulling up the seedlings...and it doesn't take long for them to really take hold and be hard to pull up!

A few years ago my neighbor let a mimosa grow right up next to my fence....too close to some crepe myrtles already growing on my side (about 6 feet from fence). I love my neighbor, so I didn't say anything about it...just kept cutting off the brances that grew my way, although I knew that someday that wasn't going to work anyway....just kept praying for a peaceful resolution. So, one day, the people hired by the power company to clear stuff under the lines came along and chopped it down! (God is good.) LOL My neighbor has another one growing in her yard, further away from the fence....it also came up "volunteer" as the old-times say, and she let it grow because she likes them....so I don't feel so bad about her losing the one by my fence.

But, I still have to chop the new growth down every year, 5 or 6 times a year. It's been about 3 years since they cut it down.
The mimosa is only three years old. So it hasn't flowered yet.

In the future, I doubt I’ll have trouble with too many seedlings. It is the only mimosa tree in the Syracuse area I'm aware of. These trees are quite rare up here. I'm just happy it is still alive after having temperatures below zero the last couple years!

I'd actually welcome seedlings, it is an exotic looking tree in Upstate NY IMO.

Now Roses of Sharon is another story! I have about 20 of them around the yard. Roses of Sharon are certainly a problem creating thousands of seedlings...even in my lawn!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,133 times
bell, how you manage to grow banana and hibiscus in upstate NY.
can you grow lemon there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
With the drought and the cold summer here in the Syracuse area, my plants never grew as large as I hoped they would this summer.

Most plants are still very young. I planted over half these plants in the last couple years. It should look better when everything fills out and grows taller.

I took a few more photos with my good camera now. Hopefully these will reveal the overall look of the garden a little better. Though much of the yard is still not shown..... (either because they aren't interesting yet or because it would show exactly where I live).

One of my garden "rooms"

one of my many broadleaf evergreens

Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I'd actually welcome seedlings, it is an exotic looking tree in Upstate NY IMO.

Now Roses of Sharon is another story! I have about 20 of them around the yard. Roses of Sharon are certainly a problem creating thousands of seedlings...even in my lawn!
Maybe the mimosa won't have time to make as many seeds in NY as it does in the deep South. For your sake, I hope not.

But, if it gets too big (they do get big!), you can always just cut it down and start over! I promise you, it will grow back!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
bell, how you manage to grow banana and hibiscus in upstate NY.
The hibiscus is called fireball. It is fully hardy here.

The bananas I cover each winter with leaves and a plastic tarp.

Luvvarkansas, I hope it gets big! It reminds me of the acacia trees that grow on the savannas in Africa. I have it in a perfect spot where the sunsets directly behind it.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Fireball, you say...

I'll be looking for one of those. Left all my weird hybrid cultivars in Florida, most bizarre combination of colors were what I collected...miss the 'mudpond', bog... and 'sunset something or other' the most...but read that they would not survive here. Sigh.

I've got what appears to be three different colors of ROS, the white/red, purple and a pinkish which might just be the odd purple and nutritional deficiency...they do well here and I have some babies, but cutting the lawn seems to take care of all that. I save a few to let grow larger, will plant back in the woods along the eventual path where nothing else can tolerate straight clay. They don't seem to care as long as I give them water once in a while. Much different than the fussing I had in FL.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I've never tried to grow a lemon tree.....I seriously doubt any citrus tree could make it through an Upstate NY winter.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-19-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
great pictures everyone
I went out today and took a few pictures lol of course I wanted until the lawn was mowed

Some of my Citrus trees

Bottle brush & the raised herb garden just replanted it so looks a little sparse

Potted lemon trees and a cotton plant

Screenroom lol the plants are about to take over

Monarch Caterpillar I have so many in the garden they have pretty much stripped the milkweed clean

Monarch chrysalis that attached to the outside of the screenroom !!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden