Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:08 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times

Advertisements

Ellie and I sent out for reinforcements!! Not only did we entice an INTELLECTUAL poster, we went far and above and got you a SCHOLAR ! And I've seen their pics online, not bad looking either . Ellie said she has first 'dibs' though, something about 'eggs' I think .

If either of us can assist you again KittensPurr, please don't hestitate to HIT the panic button at the top right hand corner of this forum . Well, I've got to go help out other damsels in distress .

Where's a good man when you need one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
HDL -

LOL I'm telling you right now. If there's a knock at my back door, I'm not opening it, as I know it's "the bee" trying to lure me onto the deck so he can chase me about while the neighbors laugh & point.

Thanks for your reply... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
How admirable that you have such a great sense of humor despite your suffering KittensPurr!

Your post intrigued me, so I did a little internet searching. One website that I looked at had lots of info on pests, namely bumblebees. Here is the article.http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/bumblebees.html The thing that caught my attention was the mention of hives or nests having guard bees. Could you have a very diligent guard bee that is guarding a developing hive?

I'm from an area where we have Africanized honey bees as well as some irritable bumble bees. All bees scare me to death. My neighbor had a bumblebee that hung around his backyard workshop. One day he got stung while mowing. He called the professionals, and they found a hive in an area no one would have suspected. Since you are allergic, maybe it is time to call in reinforcements.

Please keep us posted! Love your wit!

Hi Scholar -

Thank you so much for the complements & the article. I did learn something from it, but the bottom line for them is to spray the little guy. I'd do that as a last resort, although I did spray him with hairspray. I was hoping that would deter him rather than kill him. Yes, I was thinking he was a guard, as well, since he hovers for 7-hrs/day! Strong pecs & abs that little lad must have!

I made a sweep of my yard, underneath the decks, fences & house siding & I just don't see a nest. Ellie mentioned he could be a solitary bee & perhaps that's the case, unless there's a nest on the roof.

It poured rain today, so he wasn't around. I've mentally asked him to find another place, as he can live outside in many spots & I can't. That little deck is all I have. Maybe he felt sorry for me & found a larger, much more upscale deck! Well, see tomorrow.

Thank you for your response & the link... VV

Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
Ellie and I sent out for reinforcements!! Not only did we entice an INTELLECTUAL poster, we went far and above and got you a SCHOLAR ! And I've seen their pics online, not bad looking either . Ellie said she has first 'dibs' though, something about 'eggs' I think .

If either of us can assist you again KittensPurr, please don't hestitate to HIT the panic button at the top right hand corner of this forum . Well, I've got to go help out other damsels in distress .

Where's a good man when you need one ?
Good men? I've been calling Al Pacino, but he told me "You're out of order!" I asked him why he had to talk so loudly & he only replied "Just when I thought I was out, you're trying to pull me back in!" Geesh. That's why I'm not married to him.

The little guy is gone today. No, not Pacino, the bee! Perhaps he found a better home. Or, I did kill him with the hairspray, which I hope isn't the case. I'll keep you posted.

Right-O! If I need the A-Team, I'll call on HDL & Ellie! Firstly, would you please tell Alfonse to stop screaming "Boo-yah!" He's giving me a headache. Thanks!

Have a great weekend... VV

Old 05-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Update...

Well, it appears the little guy has left the building. I rather miss him, after seeing him hover daily for almost 1-mo, although he wasn't adept with sharing. He hasn't appeared Thurs, Fri (it poured rain) or Sat. Unless he takes weekends off, much to my dismay, I fear I may have extinguished the little lad with hairspray. I'd prefer to think that my assault (which is how he experienced my 20-min reign of terror, I'm sure) made him decide to relocate to a more friendly neighborhood & deck. Or, maybe I gave him a fear of heights so he's now in my yard, which would be fine. Preferable even. He's such a good "watch bee" he'd probably keep burgulars away! I'll keep an eye open for him & hope he is thriving in his new pad... lilly or otherwise...

Can't believe how much I miss that little one. He reminded me of a bratty kitty I had for 19-yrs. I grew to be amused at how she yelled at me everytime I walked in the door. I never could figure out what her little problem was. I should have gotten her a pet bee. That would teach her!

I'll keep ya' posted... VV

Old 05-13-2007, 12:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Congratulations. I'm so glad HDL and Co. could be of service. It was tough catching the little fellow and relocating him to the pesky bee sanctuary on Spectacle Island.

Anytime we can be of service in the future, just let one of us know.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Ellie -

Yes, he's not here today. I'm having a friend over for dinner on the deck next weekend, so I guess all is clear. Perhaps he'll drop in for a pesky moment, just to make himself known, for old time's sake. I hope the little guy found one of those nice Beacon Hill balconies to hover about.

Have fun... VV

Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times
Ok, Kittenspurr... 'Fess up now. You really are Stephen King, aren't you?

That was by far the funniest thread I have read in this whole gigantic forum! The poor li'l bee.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:41 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times
Thumbs up KimoJimo, this is a TRUE Story :-0 I certainly hope that you are not implying it is NOT!!!

Because if you are, then to use the words of a famous daytime talk show host ED

"HOW DARE YOU!!!"

Plus, one minor change to Secret Agent Ellies' post below
(boy, it sure is tought to find good help these days sheesh ) :

***Anytime we can BEE of service in the future, just let one of us know ***

Much better, don't you think KittensPurr???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Congratulations. I'm so glad HDL and Co. could be of service. It was tough catching the little fellow and relocating him to the pesky bee sanctuary on Spectacle Island.

Anytime we can be of service in the future, just let one of us know.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times
It's the visuals that are so funny!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
Ok, Kittenspurr... 'Fess up now. You really are Stephen King, aren't you?

That was by far the funniest thread I have read in this whole gigantic forum! The poor li'l bee.
Drats! Foiled again! LOL

No, Kimo, 'tis true. And, I feel dreadfully sorry for the little guy, too. I'm in hiding so that PETA doesn't take away my membership. Had it since I was 18, so I'd like to remain on good terms with animal lovers everywhere. I don't want to be forever known as the Hairspray Homicidal Honey!

I kind of miss him. I got used to his surly, territorial rants & gestures, kind of like an old boss of mine, but that's another post I'll save for the gentle advice of the Ellie & HappyDawgLady duo in their soon to debut Work/Jobs Forum. Them babes got brains! And, then some...

I'll let you know should he return, but for now, the little lad has departed for greener pastures, or bluer waters... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden