Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry, I could have sworn I had replied to the last two posts - must have hit something incorrectly for my reply not to post, very unlike me. Thank you both for your replies, truly appreciated and all noted.

Skyliner, you definintely seem to know your plant stuff - are you a landscaper? Can you recommend anyone that's not only good and reasonably priced, but will follow up and make sure I haven't killed the darn plants???

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
We finally closed, but finding a landscaper that knows their stuff and knows what will grow well in the clay soil may prove to be a bit more than I thought. Not sure if the best way is Craigslist, phone book, not sure where else to look. Would love to give a recent college graduate the job if they're able.

I bought a few berry plants from Sams, but haven't a clue how to plant them. With having the clay soil should I put them in pots?

If anyone can suggest a landscaper that's reasonable, please p/m me with a name and number. I'd love to get some foliage in the front of this house by April/May, it's pleading for some help!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
We finally closed, but finding a landscaper that knows their stuff and knows what will grow well in the clay soil may prove to be a bit more than I thought. Not sure if the best way is Craigslist, phone book, not sure where else to look. Would love to give a recent college graduate the job if they're able.

I bought a few berry plants from Sams, but haven't a clue how to plant them. With having the clay soil should I put them in pots?

If anyone can suggest a landscaper that's reasonable, please p/m me with a name and number. I'd love to get some foliage in the front of this house by April/May, it's pleading for some help!!!
Congratulation on the closing of your new house! I think I know how you feel about landscaping as I bought my new house last year. As in new subdivision houses, the standard builder-grade landscaping kept it pretty bare. So I had fun planting trees & shrubs, and the agony of figuring out what to plant.

The best advice I can offer you is what others have offerred me, that is -- slow down. Take a deep breath. Recognize that you don't have to make your house picture perfect by May/June.... or a year later. Part of fun of this process is to figure out what you want, and speaking from personal experience, the "what" changes from time to time. But as you "struggle" with it, it becomes "your" house, "your" trees, and "your" design..... It may not feel like it now, but somewhere down the road it becomes a very gratifying process.

All the trees Skyliner suggested are very good. I think I have over half of them. I am in zone 7a. You'll have to plant them base on the size that they will be and not the size the trees are now. So there I was, starring at this 3 feet tall tree and trying to visualize how it will look when it is 30 feet tall and wide. It's not just the branches, the tree roots will be 30 feet wide as well. So plant your trees with the mature size in mind.

Have fun and happy planting

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 99,958 times
Eldemila Despite your best efforts to prolong the fall foliage season, winter will surely come, eventually. What then? What do you have to work with once the trees have dropped their leaves and the spring blooming period is still months away? Indeed, winter poses the greatest challenge to the goal of achieving year-round interest on your landscape.

Your choices for color are more limited in winter than in the other seasons. With the exception provided by evergreen trees and shrubs, the winter landscape is largely dominated by the colors, white, grey and brown. That is not to say that you do not have some choices. Red osier dogwood (Cornus sericea 'Allemans') has an attractive reddish bark. A patch of fiery red osier dogwood against a backdrop of pristine snow makes for an unforgettable winter scene.

While evergreen shrubs and conifer trees undeniably add visual interest to winter landscapes, so do many other plants, such as red osier dogwoods.

A winning plant for winter landscapes will have one or more of the following characteristics:

• Contains colorful berries that attract birds for bird watching
  • Readily catches snow in its branches
  • Exhibits a delicate structure
  • Is clad in a bark that is colorful or that has an unusual texture
  • Bears evergreen foliage
  • Has an interesting branching pattern
In South Carolina, Hellebore, Lenten Rose, Christmas Rose are an excellent choice for winter blossoms. The colors of Helebore are soft and muted: pinks, mauve and shades of green. The plant grows quietly during the fall then offering those wonderful flowers for your eyes to feast upon. As soon as the new growth begins to show, cut off the dying leaves to get a better view of this illusive flower.
Garden designers often use colorful dogwood shrub in South Carolina landscapes to provide winter interest. There are several worthy ones, some with red stems and some with yellow.

One of the benefits of living in South Carolina is that we can plant and enjoy pansies in the winter landscape. Pansies are a remarkable winter annual capable of surviving temperatures down to the single digits, freezing solid, then bouncing back with vigor when warm weather returns. Pansies are planted by the millions in Georgia and are one of the top-selling bedding plants for fall landscapes.

By the time winter's over, let's face it: we want color, and we want it fast! Thus the popularity of one of the earliest blooming shrubs, forsythia. Forsythia blooms in early spring, well before many of the other flowering trees and shrubs.

If you plan carefully, late spring needn't take a backseat to April and early May, in terms of color. Lilacs are a long-time favorite that will bring color to the landscape in late spring. To supplement your lilacs, two other plants to consider are mountain laurels and hawthorns.

n summer, the brilliant spring blooms on trees and shrubs give way to just plain old leaves. It can be a challenge to find any trees and shrubs that will bloom for a significant amount of time during the summer season. In the Southeastern U.S., the long blooming period of crape myrtle trees is a boon to summer landscaping. In the North, your savior is long-blooming rose of sharon, whose flowers conveniently hold off until the second half of the summer.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a great landscape so take one section of your yard at a time.

For more information, please consult your local Garden Center, Nursery, landscaping designer or The Home & Garden Information Center (HGIC) Clemson University Cooperative Extension.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden