Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times

Advertisements

I have a few lilacs now in pots but when we get to our house they will be put in the ground.

I'll have a smaller yard and I want to maximize the flower garden area. My thought is to try to train the lilac's into more of a tree form allowing me to plant flowers under them. The ones I have had end up being more bushy. I'd like the growth to be on top of the bushes.

Any thoughts? Do I just thin them and trim out the bottom branches? Will they still grow healthy this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
The experience we have with lilacs is they are very hardy and put up with good pruning. I would let the root system establish itself before pruning. You will be able to trim the lower branches, but the problem with lilacs is they send up tons of suckers. We keep the bases of our lilacs pruned well, but it is a spring and summer long chore.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM

K thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I have a few lilacs now in pots but when we get to our house they will be put in the ground.

I'll have a smaller yard and I want to maximize the flower garden area. My thought is to try to train the lilac's into more of a tree form allowing me to plant flowers under them. The ones I have had end up being more bushy. I'd like the growth to be on top of the bushes.

Any thoughts? Do I just thin them and trim out the bottom branches? Will they still grow healthy this way?

Yes, you can prune them, but their natural habit is for the older stalks to be replaced by new shoots, thats why they are normally big and widespread, like forsythia. Also any branch you prune will not rebloom right away. I have read that you should prune in 1/3s from year to year. I think if you want something to grow into a tree form, you would be happier to choose another plant. How about a flowering crabapple? I have 2 with plantings under them.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Just keep in mind that lilacs draw bees, so if anyone's allergic to stings, keep them away from the house or children's yard toys.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyrose View Post
Yes, you can prune them, but their natural habit is for the older stalks to be replaced by new shoots, thats why they are normally big and widespread, like forsythia. Also any branch you prune will not rebloom right away. I have read that you should prune in 1/3s from year to year. I think if you want something to grow into a tree form, you would be happier to choose another plant. How about a flowering crabapple? I have 2 with plantings under them.
No I already have the lilacs, they are staying. I just want to keep them a manageable size and shape.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Just keep in mind that lilacs draw bees, so if anyone's allergic to stings, keep them away from the house or children's yard toys.
Hubby is allergic but he does ok with my plants. The biggest draw for bees so far seems to be my blue mist bush.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
With lilacs they are propagated by runners. The best time to trim them is after they flower for the year. trimming back by 1/3 is good. Once they are established they can be cut off at ground level and will regrow with vigor.

I would keep them trimmed back as a bush, I don't think they would do well as a tree. But trimming them to height and spread would be best IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden