Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

I thought I had heard that they are currently at their limits for migration based on weather.

Maybe I read that somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
I use the ant bait "Amdro". It gets both the little fire ants and those big red ants.
I live on an acre and when I first came here we had a lot of them. They are pretty rare now.
Weird thing is I hardly saw Any ants this past year.
Another weird thing....No Acorns. Years past I had to sweep the driveway every day.
I really have to wonder what's going on.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
OhZone, some oaks dont' produce acorns every year, IIRC

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Thanks for the response everyone. So it looks like the pest are here to stay, huh, lol? Just curious how much cold can they withstand. Would they be able to thrive in the northeast or midwest like they have thrived in the southeast now or will the cold keep them from going too far north?
If you want to make a non-scientific comparison, there are maps online that show the "range" of the fire ant. You can compare those with a "Zone Map" used to determine temperature ranges for planting.

Map of RIFA (all time)
Map of Red Imported Fire Ant (IFA), Solenopsis invicta - Pest Tracker - NAPIS

updated (for 2006) "zone map" from Arbor Day Foundation
Hardiness Zone Lookup at arborday.org

Here's what I think after reading a few articles and papers about them. They don't seem to be able to move the colony into areas where there are extended temperatures well below freezing that include dips into the -10F range.

They could prove me wrong though. And we're warming up, so they may be able to move north, however slow, with the gradual warming of the climate (natural or manmade, take your pick).

I think these now-infrequent artic blasts that keep the southern states below freezing for several days and include some teens and single digits in the middle south do help us keep them in check, but I can't prove it.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Try doing a search on them. There are different species. The ones I am talking about are beneficial nematodes; there are those that are detrmental also.
Interesting:

Making microscopic worms into a more deadly insecticide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden