Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 PM

83 posts, read 742,159 times

Advertisements

Hello, I noticed a helpful follow up post on how to get rid of moles. Where can you buy caster beans? I have never heard of them. I am very thankful for the suggestion and would like to purchase them if I knew where to. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Husband says you can find them at any farmer's supply, or most plant places. I may have misspelled it -- try castor bean if you can't find caster. He says the plant is even referred to as a 'mole plant.' The seeds are in clusters, almost like the ball of a sycamore tree, with 5 -6 seeds in the cluster.

He also tells me to let you know that the plant is poisonous, so you may want to exercise caution around children and pets.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM

83 posts, read 742,159 times
Default Thanks for the help!!!

Thanks for the help. I will try to purchase them.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 AM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
The poision ricin is derived from castor beans...you may have heard about this on the news...high level spy poisonings and they found some of the poision in a las vegas hotel...ha, didn't know these beans were used on moles so I guess it would be good to keep them away from people.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,557 times
Oddly enough, castor oil has been used as a laxative for years. It must be something in the bean itself that is poisonous.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
If you place the seeds directly in the gopher hole, any not eaten will germinate and then you will have a pest as bad as the gopher. I recommend that you pop the seeds into your microwave for at least 30 seconds to sterilize them and prevent germination.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Properly made castor oil is not toxic, but the beans whole are. The poison doesn't get into the oil when the oil is pressed out. I've found seeds (beans) are hard to get for it and people look at you funny for asking for it. I ordered some once to get them but I can't remember the site.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
Default Caster Bean - Ricin

The caster bean it self is not poisonous it is the membrane on the seed. Ricin is a neuro toxin, so be careful handling the bean. I grew caster plants last year and collected the seeds, I guess you can put some down a mole hole but if it's pushed out above ground you could have a potential problem with children and pets. I have moles so I will have to try this.

I left the box of seed outside over winter and I have to see if any mice are dead in the box.

Mike

Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 27,957 times
Default About Caster Beans. Where to get how to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
Hello, I noticed a helpful follow up post on how to get rid of moles. Where can you buy caster beans? I have never heard of them. I am very thankful for the suggestion and would like to purchase them if I knew where to. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Where to buy seeds: [url=http://wuvie.net/castorbeans.htm]WUV'N ACRES[/url]

This is a great lady. She did great job and even sent me some extras in each variety I chose plus a surprise package.

About Ricin poisoning: [url=http://www.nationalterroralert.com/ricin/]Homeland Security News » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Ricin[/url]

I used to have caster beans all over the place when I was a kid. Wonder I didn't kill myself as I didn't know about the Ricin in the seeds.
Not to worry, just don't put them in your mouth. They contain a very toxic poison.
The Caster Bean is considered to be the fifth most poisonous plant on earth.
I recently wanted to plant more of them because they make such pretty plants with very colorful leaves, stems etc. Again they are great for shading the sunny side of your house in the Summer. Just collect the beans in the Fall or soon as they are ready and plant them again in the Spring for your next season of shade. They have very large leaves. They will grow as high as fifteen feet. Lots of shade.
Above is a link where I bought a large number of seeds last year with many verities.
I'm getting ready to plant them all over the place and I do have moles and I'm starting large garden soon. I will plant the Caster Beans all around it.
Almost everyone I knew had them when I was a kid. I don't remember anyone being hurt by them.
A famous incident was in London when a refugee from a Communist country was making a little too much noise for the Communist leaders. He was stabbed in the leg by an umbrella tip. Three days later he was dead and the Autopsy found a small hollow metal ball in his leg the size of a pin head. It had traces of Ricin in it.
Do not be afraid of these plants. That would be silly.
Many people have Oleanders and they are considered the world's number one highest in poison. You might want to look on Google under "five most poisonous plants."

P.S.
Wuvin Acres has many very good images of various Caster Bean plants.

Regards,
Pete G. AKA WortHawg

Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Moles are worm and grub eaters. I don't see how putting beans in the ground would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden