Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 26,936 times

Advertisements

I traced my heritage and am about 65% German, with about 35% being English. I'm a 5 ft 9 inch female with blue eyes and blonde hair. I have wide shoulders and high cheek bones. My parents are the same in build, eye color and hair. My ex-husband is of German heritage also…last name Hoeft. Our 3 boys are all blonde, blue eyed, muscular and athletic.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
You cannot tell a Germans from other Central and Northern Europeans, and many times Eastern Europeans as well. In hair color vary from blonde, blue-eyed which is the stereotype to brown/dark-haired folks. Obviously they speak German.

However generally they would differ more from Southern Europeans, but of course not in every case.
A good example is below;

Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
I yell, Free sauerkraut! And see who comes running.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
they're the one with the pointy helmets

Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM

66 posts, read 182,760 times
Most Americans really aren't clear-cut on the ancestry, but I have noticed a peculiar yellowness (not just blondeness...actual yellowness) in the hair of many German folks I have known or seen, especially in actual Germany!

But on the German-American side of things, I suppose they often seem to look more muscular/sturdily built on average. That's about all I notice, if anything.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I've always enjoyed hearing the German accent whether in person or in the movies (WW2).

Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
I am half German (and Italian) and so is my spouse (and English). We come from a long line of German engineers and are never late to meetings...LOL... Our son looks very Italian - dark eyes, curly hair, olive skin, smaller build, etc.

However, our daughter seems to have the stereotypical German look. Wherever we go (Europe, Germany, visiting German relatives in the midwest, etc.), she is told she looks "so German." We have even met German tourists who tell us she looks like all the girls from their area in Germany. Here is what she looks like:

- tall and long-limbed (extremely long legs/arms, shorter upper body)
- bigger-boned, wider shoulder/hip, but very lean, a very "athletic" build
- thick, golden-blond hair
- a golden, glowing skin tone
- eyes are hazel/green/gold (I was told hazel eyes are prevalent in Germany)
- strong, chiseled features (nose, cheekbones, eyebrows)
- full lips (not as thin as my English relatives, but not as thick as my Italian relatives)
- cleft-chin

Maybe there are some other indications that she is German? She has the look/coloring/shape of Heidi Klum who also has the hazel eyes. It is just interesting that so many people have told her she looks 100% German, whereas I just think she looks European.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You cannot tell a Germans from other Central and Northern Europeans, and many times Eastern Europeans as well. In hair color vary from blonde, blue-eyed which is the stereotype to brown/dark-haired folks. Obviously they speak German.
My daughter looks very much like the woman in the pic you posted above - same hair/skin color (I call her "golden"), looks like her exact nose, similar cheekbones/face shape - even a very similar cleft chin. So I guess that is the "German look." The only difference is my daughter has a unique hazel eye color. I have met very few people with her eye color. I am wondering if that hazel eye color is more unique to Germans than the blue color? I seem to meet a lot of Germans with hazel eyes.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
There is no "German look." Anyone bother to think about this topic beyond the first thought?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is no "German look." Anyone bother to think about this topic beyond the first thought?
My post was about the "stereotypical German look" that people associate with the nationality as I've encountered this stereotype in Europe, Germany/Switz, U.S midwest.... Of course, there are many different looks/characteristics of Germans (from the very light to the very dark) and ethnic Germans are a significant population in many countries... U.S., Argentina, Brazil, Poland, U.K., South Africa, etc...

However, many people still associate "the look" as being Heidi Klum, Gisele Bundchen (even though she is from Brazil), etc... Very tall, lean, athletic, strong-boned, long nose, chiseled features, etc... This is different than the stereotypical "English look" or "French look" or "Irish look" or "Swedish look" or "Finnish look" or "Polish look." People also often associate Germans with more Nordic coloring (sadly what the third reich wanted with the breeding programs) but many, including my relatives are darker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy