Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
What most people mean by "hispanics" are racially native American.

---

Then "most people" need to go back to school.
But most Hispanics are Mestizo, not fully Native American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
But most Hispanics are Mestizo, not fully Native American.

----

Most Hispanics in the US are mestizo Mexicans, white Mexicans don't travel to the US. About 30 to 40 percent of Anglos are mestizos and most can't trace their family to Europe, so they can be anything.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've been mistaken for Hispanic but only when I speak Spanish, lol. There are a lot of people from Spanish-speaking countries that look/are white. I'm still surprised because I have a pretty Slavic looking face, the kind where other Russians will just start talking to me in Russian without second thought. My wife even says that I have Siberian eyes (the kind that have a slightly swollen look, which according to a Siberian saying is because of "our wide storms.") Though this might just be my wife trying to make me out to be more "exotic" than "just a white person" lol.

As for something that actually counts, my wife gets mistaken for black-only all the time. She's actually mixed white, black, and Hispanic, but all people only see is the black in her.
1. That's because most blacks (in America) are mixed African and European.

2. The "Hispanic" in her could be from anywhere, because Hispanics can be white, black, Native, Asian or any combination.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I have a really wierd one. I'm 100% Scottish decent. Both sides as far back as we can trace it. My mothers father was a very dark and swarthy Scotsman and that has been passed down for 2 generations. My moms brother always gets mistaken for an American native by natives. Not only are we dark but we have quite Asiatic eyes. I had the owner of a Thai food restaurant come up to me and ask what part of Asia my people came from? When I told her I was 100% Scottish she said. I have lived in Asia for most of my life and I know Asians and you have a lot of it in you. The real funny thing is my kids are all blonds and two of them have blue eyes. They really don't know what those original inhabitants of Scotland "The Picts" looked like. I'm thinking that maybe that's the answer to this. My uncle who is 80 this year and is the most Asiatic looking of us all is going to have his DNA analyzed this year some time. Maybe we will get some answers there.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM

221 posts, read 798,945 times
Quote:
---

You are "northern European" from Jersey but you look Napolitano?..... Strange..
You'll have to investigate those Pizza Deliveries...
Since I could remember everyone has thought I am Italian. I grew up amongst all Italians, almost all of my friends were at least part Italian, so I guess they assumed I was one of them, at least part lol. I'm actually German, Irish and hispanic.

Oh and I married a full blooded Italian

Last edited by Olive1982; 08-23-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
----

Most Hispanics in the US are mestizo Mexicans, white Mexicans don't travel to the US. About 30 to 40 percent of Anglos are mestizos and most can't trace their family to Europe, so they can be anything.
Why not?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Why not?

--

Because they live well in Mexico. They travel to the US, but as tourists or entrepeneurs.
Bunch of them in Spain as tourists or students, I can only spot them when they open their mouth.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Since I could remember everyone has thought I am Italian. I grew up amongst all Italians, almost all of my friends were at least part Italian, so I guess they assumed I was one of them, at least part lol. I'm actually German, Irish and hispanic.

Oh and I married a full blooded Italian
----

Italians live in Italy or at least speak Italian. You are American.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I get mistaken for a typical white American. I'm not, and I resent the accusation.
And just what is a typical white american

Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
And just what is a typical white american
I asked the same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy