Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

When I used to drive a truck I once found out through later genealogy research that one of the places I delivered to in a town I hadn't lived in myself was just down the street from where my great grandparents had lived. At the time of the deliveries I had no idea they had even lived in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Have any of you read the book Psychic Roots?

Lots of good stories of serendipitous occurrences in genealogy.
Cool. I'll check that out.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Have any of you read the book Psychic Roots?

Lots of good stories of serendipitous occurrences in genealogy.
I have Psychic Roots and More Psychic Roots in my collection. Both very good!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Tis odd how these coincidences can come up.

Maaaaaaaaaany years ago I moved to NYC after college, and I got a job making a miniscule salary. Only a few beaches were reachable by subway. So, in the summers I took a very, very long subway ride from upper Manhattan to the end of the line in Brooklyn (about 45 min); and then there was still a bus ride out to Ft. Tilden and the beach.

At least the bus ride was above ground, so there was something to look at. One of the neighborhoods we passed through...the last before we hit the open road beach, was Flatlands. Thus, though otherwise unmemorable it meant that finally we were almost there.

Once on the way back the traffic was bumper to bumper and the heat on the bus was insufferable. So, I got out in Flatlands to take a break, walk around and hopefully catch a less crowded bus.

Many decades later when I began doing the family genealogy, one of the first things I found out was that my 7th grt grandfather, Steven C. Van Voorhees, had been an early settler in what is now Flatlands under the Dutch, and that there is a plaque commemorating his role in the community somewhere near where his farm was.

So all those years before I had likely been riding over what were once his fields on my way to the beach.
Interesting story!

Most of my ancestors lived in northern New Jersey since they arrived here from either Holland or England, with the exception of one branch that goes way back in New England. More than a year ago, I moved 60 miles south to a different part of Jersey where I only knew a couple of people. My sister is doing our ancestry, and she discovered that a half-sister of our great-grandfather moved to this area when she married, and that they had a son who was prominent in the community. She starting telling me the surnames of that branch of the family, and they are all street names around me. As a matter of fact, I catch my train on a street named for my long-lost distant cousin.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I read about a guy in Old Town Alexandria, VA who unknowingly bought a house his 3xgreat grandfather owned in the 19th century.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Did anyone else watch last Friday's "Who Do You Think You Are?" featuring Steve Buscemi? It was pretty cool when Steve found out that the restaurant where he and his wife ate the night before the show is the same building his great-grandmother had lived in!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
bjh

^
From post #86 forward some have discussed this episode.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
From post #86 forward some have discussed this episode.
Thanks, I missed those ones. Between my oral surgery and my friend dying I was sort of out of it last week. Plus, I get the show a day later so I tend to forget that most of you are probably already discusing it before I've even watched it.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
bjh

^
Not a problem. Sometimes if my head wasn't attached....

Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
Not a problem. Sometimes if my head wasn't attached....
Same here, LOL! Remember, I'm the dumb dumb who shopped on Ebay while under the influence of Vicodin. By the way, the skirts arrived and they are kind of ugly, LOL! Must have looked good at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy