Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Passive aggressive approach? No one accused you of anything. Sometimes silence is golden.

LOL, I'M passive aggressive? That's rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
That's just statistical noise. Those small percentages are completely meaningless. Extremely unlikely that he has any actual Native American ancestry. Same thing with the supposed Italian ancestry. Those results don't actually signify any direct Italian descent.
I would give more credence to the Italian ancestry for a middle eastern person. Same part of the world. I don't know enough about how these tests work to understand then how this guy pops up with NA if he doesn't actually have any. Was just repeating what his cousin showed me in the online results.

My priest was born in Italy and show quite a bit of middle eastern in his DNA. He said if you look at trade routes and migration patterns, it makes sense.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
My maternal ggf is on the Dawes Roll, his mom was on the Choctaw Mississippi Roll. So my mom was able to show she was 1/8 Choctaw and eligible for tribal benefits, some of which she utilized.

When I rec'd my DNA results, nothing turned up for Native American which didn't surprise me a whit for many reasons - primarily 1) The DNA data base is still hit-or-miss due to lack of participation by many tribes and 2) As as been pointed out here and elsewhere, many tribes were unconcerned with "blood" lineage, i.e. adopted members were considered full members.

So the way I see it is if my NA ancestry was/is good enough to be accepted by the Choctaw Nation, it's good enough for me. I'm extremely pale-skinned with dark eyes and hair and don't look remotely NA. My 1/2 Choctaw, 1/2 Irish maternal ggf had blue eyes, brown hair, and fair skin.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Probably a high percent along and west of the Appalachians but very little along the East Coast. Also more further South, since the Cherokees frequently married Whites but the Northern tribes rarely did.

I'm 1/64th Cherokee myself. Half of Eastern Kentucky's "Maggard's" also have Cherokee blood. (2 Maggard brothers came to KY, one married an Indian, the other (one of my ancestors) didn't)
what is 1/64th. For a millisecond I pictured my ratched bits , mechanical set.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...but you never know. A guy I work with, born in Syria, showed me his cousin's 23andme results. The cousin was also born in Syria. His DNA shows a very small percentage of Native American, estimated to be from an ancestor who lived in the 1700s. His other DNA is primarily Middle Eastern with Ashkenazi Jewish, some Italian and other southern Europe, and north African. Has no idea how this happened--but hey, people get around.
23andme also showed a very small % of Native American in me, which can't be true since I am a first generation immigrant from Russia, born in Russia. I think sites like 23andme and Ancestry are too US centric, so they flag any Finno-Ugric DNA as Native American, as those people crossed the land bridge from Siberia. In my case, "Native American" is probably Finn/Karelian/Livonian DNA.

Since your Syrian friend's cousin has Ashkenazi Jewish DNA, there is a chance that his Native American DNA came from that relative, who probably resided in Eastern Europe.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
23andme also showed a very small % of Native American in me, which can't be true since I am a first generation immigrant from Russia, born in Russia. I think sites like 23andme and Ancestry are too US centric, so they flag any Finno-Ugric DNA as Native American, as those people crossed the land bridge from Siberia. In my case, "Native American" is probably Finn/Karelian/Livonian DNA.

Since your Syrian friend's cousin has Ashkenazi Jewish DNA, there is a chance that his Native American DNA came from that relative, who probably resided in Eastern Europe.
I just wanted to point out something. My family has been in the US (both sides of it) from the late 1600s for the most part - of course there are thousands of relatives as the pool expands back in time.

I had 23andme testing, and they showed me specifically Finnish ancestry, and not a drop of Native American ancestry.

Not arguing with you, just pointing out that 22andme doesn't automatically categorize Finnish as Native American.

So you have a mystery on your hands, apparently.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM

779 posts, read 471,467 times
Not anywhere as close to the number of white people who claim their great-great-great grandfather had a child with a native american (always male with the woman). I've seriously heard this 1000 times in my life. And 99% of the time it's been a NA female. Oh, the stories we tell.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Native Americans are ASIAN, their DNA is related to the Siberian people.
I am 25% Native American and some DNA calculators shows my 25% as North Korean or Siberian.
Also, my MtDNA is C1 (Native american), while my Y-DNA is R1b1b2a1a2f (European)
If you see the map for C1 Mtdna, we came from Asia.
The crazy news is that people from Iceland also have C1, Mtdna.

Last edited by ozarknation; 12-16-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
Default right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
I remember when I was a child in Virginia, and the "in" thing was to have a Cherokee princess as a grandmother. All of my friends claimed to have one.
I have been hearing this all my life.The other one is having some kind of royal blood from Britain.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I have been hearing this all my life.The other one is having some kind of royal blood from Britain.
Actually if your ancestors were British colonials during the colonial days, you have a pretty decent chance of having some British "royal ancestry." This is because many of the early colonial settlers were "second sons" from prominent families or minor nobility - people who wouldn't inherit land in England but had some money and the means to own and develop land in "the new world."

And actually, most of us - maybe even all of us - do have some royal ancestry.

https://www.popsci.com/descended-from-royalty#page-3
Why We Are All Descended From Royalty, According To Math | IFLScience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy