Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Is there a Pocahontas DNA group?
no but she was bear clan we have been told . I don't know what mtdna Algonquin bear clan is coming back as.

But if they form a search to compare to see if someone can find Her Mtdna dna line. I might send my dad's mtdna in .
we THINK , as best I remember she was a full sister , but I was small.. my dad might be the same line but it could have been a 1/2 sister also . so the only way to know for sure is to get her mtdna from her dead body . which I won't go for. or take dna from all Algonquin bear clan line and see what comes up.

I recognize the lines by their looks as they are " the little lady line.." they almost are all tiny. like most gymnast are the tiny lady line also. no matter where they are from .
and I am half tiny lady and half giant lady line ( the beach volley ball ladies no matter where they are from are giant ladies lines ) . there can be short or taller individuals in both lines but small lady lines gets way smaller than any of the smallest giant lady line gets .
and the giants in the giant lady line can be a good foot taller than the little lady lines tallest.
so we are talking about clans of ladies which science calls that stuff junk. and tries to tell us that the 3% they see which is only about males coding "the Junk", is 100% of the
" race" and they are full of it ,
it only takes two males that make a "race" the father and the mothers father this is 100% of the coding on the "Junk" . that is all they are seeing. they want to see asians so they see asians.

each tribes has it's own clans and names of clans . so getting only bear clan Algonquins tested is very important. and really confirm that Pocahontas was bear clan.
I believe she was bear clan and I believe my dad is her sisters line. but we a few if's because she had confirmed 1/2 sisters .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 06:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
four

Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 AM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
My g-father's family did not move the 3 miles to Oklahoma as someone in family got hurt/sick right before the Dawes Rolls were done. Since they stayed in Arkansas, we are not allowed on rolls. I should be 1/16th Cherokee...

Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 PM

28 posts, read 17,222 times
from 23andme research

they claim that 3.5% of European Americans, have African ancestry,
and 2.7% of European Americans, have Native Americans ancestry.
(if I read the study correctly).

Ive also seen 5% EuroAms have African ancestry
and 3% EuroAms have Native ancestry.

The first set of numbers is newer.

Last edited by RedWhite2017; 04-23-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
My g-father's family did not move the 3 miles to Oklahoma as someone in family got hurt/sick right before the Dawes Rolls were done. Since they stayed in Arkansas, we are not allowed on rolls. I should be 1/16th Cherokee...
The Dawes application started 1898 and finalized in 1914. Anyone could file an application but to be accepted or *allowed* by the tribe "By Blood," prior tribal rolls were used to verify tribal affiliation. Did your family have prior record of being with the "body" of the tribe. For example, with the United Keetoowah Cherokee, the Old Setters roll were used to verify tribal affiliation to be accepted onto the Dawes. If your family could not be found on this rolls, your application was rejected with the Dawes Commission and you received your family received no land allotment. Arkansas had nothing to do with the Dawes. This was for land allotments in tribal jurisdictions in Oklahoma.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I worked Gathering of Nations this weekend and there were a handful of participants in the dances and ceremonies who had obvious European and/or African features (but were also clearly of indigenous American ancestry), as well as a tiny percentage who had no discernable Native Ancestry at all. That is, if they were in street clothes they would not have looked any different from a Dubliner or Berliner.

On the other hand, with respect to the general public who were visiting the pow wow, there were a lot of wannabes bedecked in Native jewelry and accoutrements. I wonder how many of the wannabes would proudly tell you about their 1/64th Cherokee ancestry or about the high cheekbones and straight dark hair in their great-grandmother's B&W photograph.

All in all though, it was a very cool event with indigenous Americans from all over North America and their friends of all races and cultures.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I worked Gathering of Nations this weekend and there were a handful of participants in the dances and ceremonies who had obvious European and/or African features (but were also clearly of indigenous American ancestry), as well as a tiny percentage who had no discernable Native Ancestry at all. That is, if they were in street clothes they would not have looked any different from a Dubliner or Berliner.

On the other hand, with respect to the general public who were visiting the pow wow, there were a lot of wannabes bedecked in Native jewelry and accoutrements. I wonder how many of the wannabes would proudly tell you about their 1/64th Cherokee ancestry or about the high cheekbones and straight dark hair in their great-grandmother's B&W photograph.

All in all though, it was a very cool event with indigenous Americans from all over North America and their friends of all races and cultures.

I probably would've been one of those people, if anyone had asked. I'm 1/64th on my dad's side, and my ancestors are on the Dawes rolls.

If I were a darker skinned, and didn't color my hair, yeah...I think I'd look pretty native. But I'm of the round-face variety. lol

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I probably would've been one of those people, if anyone had asked. I'm 1/64th on my dad's side, and my ancestors are on the Dawes rolls.

If I were a darker skinned, and didn't color my hair, yeah...I think I'd look pretty native. But I'm of the round-face variety. lol
They only care about your blood lineage to grandparents and if you can prove with birth certificates you are related to these people noted as Cherokee "by blood" on the Dawes. The Nation for enrollment uses blood lineage to the Dawes for enrollment and also death certificates. If you can prove this, would end the stigma. You would not qualify with the Keetoowah, you need to be 1/4 Keetoowah blood.
Just an FYI, terms like, 1/16, 1/8 or 1/4 are numbers that "wannabes" tend to use, often. In reality, Cherokee Nation has people mostly under 1/4 and BQ's 3/16, 14/16, 2/8 etc.

If you were darker skinned and didn't change the color of your hair, you could also look Italian, Spanish, Greek, Arabic or 1/4 Black. Then again, everyone looks Native with a few phenotype "tweaks."

Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
They only care about your blood lineage to grandparents and if you can prove with birth certificates you are related to these people noted as Cherokee "by blood" on the Dawes. The Nation for enrollment uses blood lineage to the Dawes for enrollment and also death certificates. If you can prove this, would end the stigma. You would not qualify with the Keetoowah, you need to be 1/4 Keetoowah blood.
Just an FYI, terms like, 1/16, 1/8 or 1/4 are numbers that "wannabes" tend to use, often. In reality, Cherokee Nation has people mostly under 1/4 and BQ's 3/16, 14/16, 2/8 etc.

If you were darker skinned and didn't change the color of your hair, you could also look Italian, Spanish, Greek, Arabic or 1/4 Black. Then again, everyone looks Native with a few phenotype "tweaks."

Look...I know these things. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not. I'm a suburbanite who grew up in a white bread American cheese life style.

It doesn't take away who my ancestors are though, and their story, and I can take some pride in that. My grandmother was 1/8...I certainly realize I'm pretty 'watered down'. I'm not trying to get benefits, not trying to 'walk the red trail' and I don't consider myself part of the tribe.

But I'm happy to say my ancestors were, and there's plenty of documentation on them.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Most, not so much as Mexicans, but growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy