Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times

Advertisements

I think it is cool that it is finally cool to be Native American. I think it is great that lots of non-natives come to powwows to enjoy the culture and that people enjoy Native American jewelry and house decorations. It is a far cry from the 1970s when my grandmother couldn't buy beer in a store because she was Native American or when my Greatgrandmother had to move my grandmother from the white school as a little girl to the Native American school because she threatened to kill the white kids who were bullying and torturing her.

When we were kids we used the term "wannabes" but as an adult I would never use the term. Why make fun of someone who is enjoying another culture? When I go abroad and change my ways to match the culture I am visiting I'm not a wannabe Italian or Asian, I'm simply enjoying learning about another culture and respecting it by fitting in.

It is like calling immigrants who move to American and dress like Americans "wannabe Americans". It sounds childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 10:50 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Probably would depend on when your ancestors came to America, and where they moved to. My Irish ancestors came in the 1840's and stayed in NYC. My British and Italian ancestors came in the late 1800's and early 1900's and never left NYC.

Putting aside my own research, highly unlikely given the history of America that there would be Native Ancestry.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Probably would depend on when your ancestors came to America, and where they moved to. My Irish ancestors came in the 1840's and stayed in NYC. My British and Italian ancestors came in the late 1800's and early 1900's and never left NYC.

Putting aside my own research, highly unlikely given the history of America that there would be Native Ancestry.
...but you never know. A guy I work with, born in Syria, showed me his cousin's 23andme results. The cousin was also born in Syria. His DNA shows a very small percentage of Native American, estimated to be from an ancestor who lived in the 1700s. His other DNA is primarily Middle Eastern with Ashkenazi Jewish, some Italian and other southern Europe, and north African. Has no idea how this happened--but hey, people get around.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:51 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...but you never know. A guy I work with, born in Syria, showed me his cousin's 23andme results. The cousin was also born in Syria. His DNA shows a very small percentage of Native American, estimated to be from an ancestor who lived in the 1700s. His other DNA is primarily Middle Eastern with Ashkenazi Jewish, some Italian and other southern Europe, and north African. Has no idea how this happened--but hey, people get around.
That's just statistical noise. Those small percentages are completely meaningless. Extremely unlikely that he has any actual Native American ancestry. Same thing with the supposed Italian ancestry. Those results don't actually signify any direct Italian descent.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I'm part native American but I've never put that on a job application, unlike Pocahontas.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
I have Native American DNA, here is my DNA results, from Gedmatch Eurogenes K15:
Population
North_Sea 7.79
Atlantic 17.47
Baltic 5.95
Eastern_Euro 2.50
West_Med 13.59
West_Asian 2.39
East_Med 8.62
Red_Sea 3.15
South_Asian -
Southeast_Asian -
Siberian 1.60
Amerindian 26.67 <=====
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.24
Sub-Saharan 9.03

Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 PM

322 posts, read 707,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Look...I know these things. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not. I'm a suburbanite who grew up in a white bread American cheese life style.

It doesn't take away who my ancestors are though, and their story, and I can take some pride in that. My grandmother was 1/8...I certainly realize I'm pretty 'watered down'. I'm not trying to get benefits, not trying to 'walk the red trail' and I don't consider myself part of the tribe.

But I'm happy to say my ancestors were, and there's plenty of documentation on them.
Passive aggressive approach? No one accused you of anything. Sometimes silence is golden.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhite2017 View Post
from 23andme research

they claim that 3.5% of European Americans, have African ancestry,
and 2.7% of European Americans, have Native Americans ancestry.
(if I read the study correctly).

Ive also seen 5% EuroAms have African ancestry
and 3% EuroAms have Native ancestry.

The first set of numbers is newer.
In theory, doesn't every single person ever born in the history of Planet Earth have African ancestry, since that is where we all came from tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of years ago?

So 100% of Europe, 100% of Asia, 100% of South America, 100% of North America and 100% of Australia, should have African ancestry, you're all Africans if you think about it, you just have to go back far enough!

12 years ago, when I had my DNA tested for the Genographic Project from Nat Geo the results from my Y Chromosome came back Haplogroup E3b (M35), so even though I'm whiter than white, my Y Chromosome, started in Africa and left 15,000 or so years ago.

Last edited by cjseliga; 05-06-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 10:10 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
In theory, doesn't every single person ever born in the history of Planet Earth have African ancestry, since that is where we all came from tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of years ago?

So 100% of Europe, 100% of Asia, 100% of South America, 100% of North America and 100% of Australia, should have African ancestry, you're all Africans if you think about it, you just have to go back far enough!

12 years ago, when I had my DNA tested for the Genographic Project from Nat Geo the results from my Y Chromosome came back Haplogroup E3b (M35), so even though I'm whiter than white, my Y Chromosome, started in Africa and left 15,000 or so years ago.
My Y-DNA is: r1b1b2a1a2f*

Old 05-08-2017, 01:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Since nobody was "Native American" (the people you speak of are Mongoloid, and came from Asia) and the true "Native Americans" were the people who were here in 1776 when the USA became a country, I would say a HUGE percentage of white people.
On the Indian Reservations throughout the west there are many US Military Veterans. The Navajos, Pimas, Sioux, Papago, Apache, Pueblo, Comanche, etc. all have proud US Military Veterans. I am shocked you would not consider them "American". They defended the US Constitution with their lives. The Navajo Code Talkers developed a code of communication in the South Pacific that was never broken. George Washington himself recommend indigenous warriors for the US Infantry. Go figure.

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy