Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 AM

72 posts, read 105,170 times

Advertisements

There are a million and one articles out there, some true and some false, but from a genetic standpoint, who are the British? I hold true to the belief that the Roman, Norman, Viking and Saxon influences were minimal in terms of the genetic pool, yet significant in terms of forming your language, culture and government.

I am most inclined to believe that most of you are Iberians, ancestors of the Basques, mixed with Celtic blood. A simple way to prove this is to Google "Basque people" - the similarities are uncanny. I think this is even more apparent in Wales, the west country and Ireland, where so many people have Mediterranean features (short stocky build, jet black hair and brown eyes). Look at Colin Farrel, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Tom Jones. All of whom could pass as Spanish, despite having no Spanish ancestors in recent history.

Britain, Portugal and Spain also have similar colonial histories. I am beginning to wonder if this isn't just mere coincidence.

As for the Celtic thing, someone on here once pointed out that Celts migrated to Spain and Portugal too. That adds more fuel to the similarity fire.

In summary, although the British are quite unique, I think your closest matches are to be found on the Iberian peninsula (Spanish and Portugese) rather than the Germanic countries.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 AM

One final note, I like the term "Atlantic European" to describe peoples of northern Spain, Portugal, France and the British Isles. You all look quite alike.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Not really bothered about ancient racial history to be honest. British culture and national character as we recognise it today was founded long after the invasions in the first millennium, and it's people who are culturally "not foreign" who are British to me. I've always assumed I must have a large percentage Viking ancestry because of my surname ending in -son and my liking of the Nordic cultures, but it's so far back and impossible to trace it doesn't matter. Very few 'native' British know anything concrete about their ancestry back to the Celts/Romans etc .

Last edited by ben86; 07-30-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM

213 posts, read 520,064 times
Does it really matter?

I've always found that Americans view Scots/English/Welsh/Irish as ethnicities while the locals view them as nationalities.

I drove a local acquaintance crazy when I told him that I view Dario Franchitti (Blackburn born and raised regardless of last name and coloring) as far more Scottish than he was regardless of the fact that his great great great grandparents came from Montrose and he has (according to him) impeccable clan credentials.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
Does it really matter?

I've always found that Americans view Scots/English/Welsh/Irish as ethnicities while the locals view them as nationalities.

I drove a local acquaintance crazy when I told him that I view Dario Franchitti (Blackburn born and raised regardless of last name and coloring) as far more Scottish than he was regardless of the fact that his great great great grandparents came from Montrose and he has (according to him) impeccable clan credentials.
i know he is 100% scottish, people who think he is not scottish because his name sound italian are pretty ignorant at best, look at barrack obama and many otheres in the states, foreign sounding names but 100% american, any person born and raised in a country is 100% a native of that country

Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 AM

No, it doesn't matter, but I find the subject interesting nonetheless. The common belief that many share is that the British are predominantly Germanic people, which I do not believe they are. It's more from a historical and genetic standpoint that I'm interested in, rather than being about nationality. Studies have even shown that there were no mass graves of those allegedly slaughtered by the Saxons, so the indigenous population lived on.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:57 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
It's more from a historical and genetic standpoint that I'm interested in, rather than being about nationality.
Then you're best off discussing this in the History Forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/history/

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Then you're best off discussing this in the History Forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/history/
Fair enough.

Moderator, (in Jean-Luc Picard voice), "make it so!" (please).

Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
The nicest thing about being English is not having to define it.

Who cares about DNA in the blood?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM

213 posts, read 520,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
No, it doesn't matter, but I find the subject interesting nonetheless. The common belief that many share is that the British are predominantly Germanic people, which I do not believe they are. It's more from a historical and genetic standpoint that I'm interested in, rather than being about nationality. Studies have even shown that there were no mass graves of those allegedly slaughtered by the Saxons, so the indigenous population lived on.
I'd say we're all a pretty good mongrel mix of whoever happened to invade at one point or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy