Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,211 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find relatives and information on my Grandfather's side of the family. I know they lived in Pennsylvania. His name was Leo Ellsworth Cook. My father was Leo Robert Cook and my Grandmother was Lois Moore (Cook). She was raised near Jug Handle PA. I know some of her family is buried in Starr Cemetery. If anyone has information on the Cook side of the family I would really appreciate it. I believe my grandfather's father was Daniel Cook and his mother was possibly Amanda Cook. Can anyone help me here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
There's a WWI Draft Registration card on Ancestry.com for Leo Ellsworth Cook

Quote:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Leo Ellsworth Cook
Name: Leo Ellsworth Cook
County: Warren
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 12 May 1900
Race: White
There's a ton of census records for Leo Cook or Leo E Cook - using the birth date from the WWI draft record, the census results suggest his mother's name was probably Mary, not Amanda.

Quote:
1920 United States Federal Census about Leo E Cook
Name: Leo E Cook
Home in 1920: Kellettville, Forest, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Daniel M Cook
Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Mary M Cook
Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Sex: Male
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Daniel M Cook 59
Mary M Cook 55
Lester E Cook 27
Maccie A Cook 23
James M Cook 21
Leo E Cook 20
Martha Cook 16
Carl E Cook 13
Cleveland Reed 27
Robert J Cook 36
Quote:
1900 United States Federal Census about Leo E Cook
Name: Leo E Cook
Home in 1900: Barnett, Jefferson, Pennsylvania
[Heath, Jefferson, Pennsylvania]
Birth Date: May 1899
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Daniel Cook
Father's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Mary A Cook
Mother's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Household Members:
Name Age
Daniel Cook 30
Mary A Cook 30
Edward L Cook 8
Bertha E Cook 5
Mackey A Cook 5
James M Cook 3
Leo E Cook 1
William P Hannold 14
From those, we know Daniel was born around 1870 in PA - searching for him brings up a result on a public tree which suggests the mother was Mary Amanda Rossey, b. 1868 in PA. No parents for Daniel but Mary's parents were Peter Rossey b. 1836 in PA and Lucinda Showers b. 1840 in PA. Granted, public trees are not necessarily accurate but they serve as a good starting point or clue in your research.

There are 1870 and 1880 censuses for a Daniel M Cook born about 1867 but he is listed as Black on both of them whereas he's listed as white on the above records so I doubt it's the same man unless he was a "mulatto" who could pass for white (or unless the transcriptions are wrong or something).

Also try searching: https://familysearch.org/ - it's the biggest free records database on the net.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,211 times
Default Finding Family

Thank you for the information on my family. Yes his mother was a Rossey, although I was under the impression it was spelled Rossie. Will have to do more searching on that part of the family. If you should run across any more information on the family I would really appreciate it.
Leoa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy