Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 AM

661 posts, read 881,648 times

Advertisements

And her results are:
95% European
5% Native American

I am 25% Native American and I don't think is right from my part to claim to be Native American. Not sure how this woman is still claiming to be Native American. 5% is just a trace by the way.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...ed_Box_Article

Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
And her results are:
95% European
5% Native American

I am 25% Native American and I don't think is right from my part to claim to be Native American. Not sure how this woman is still claiming to be Native American. 5% is just a trace by the way.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...ed_Box_Article
She never claimed to be Native American, she only claimed to have Native American ancestry which is proven now by this test.

Anyway, you're from South America, right? That's a different history and culture and can't be compared to this case.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
The headline states "Senator Elizabeth Warren has released a DNA test that provides “strong evidence’’ she had a Native American in her family tree dating back 6 to 10 generations." I don't think she ever claimed to be much more than that. Families carry stories down through generations and the precise details are blurred or lost or even magnified. My grandmother told me we had a pirate ancestor when, in fact, it was a cousin of the "pirate" who wasn't actually a pirate in the first place.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
If Warren had a sibling or parent take a DNA test, they could get different percentage than she did. I got 4% Middle Eastern. Younger daughter got 1% and older daughter got 0%.

Does this mean that my older daughter did not have an Ancestor from there? Mine and her sister's DNA proves that she did. She did not inherit those genes. This makes the case for family members to get their DNA tested as well.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
This has been the most ridiculous debate to arise during the Trump administration.

I actually expected her to have no Native American ancestry whatsoever - her generation typically based assumptions about ancestry purely on family stories. I have older relatives who similarly claimed Native ancestry only to find there was none or that they were part African. Native American ancestry was often claimed by families that were actually part African in origin because there was less stigma attached to being Native American. The kicker with Warren is that she actually does have Native American ancestry, just less than her family stories likely indicated.

Any "benefit" Elizabeth Warren claimed from her ancestry was minimal and from what I have understood had no impact on her career. And she hasn't gone around exploiting it. You would not believe the number of misguided Baby Boomers who have told me they were part Native American in self-important tones, implying their ancestry conveyed instant spirituality. This was a claim typical of her generation, most of whom were not very well-informed about the Native American experience.

I remember my dad and his cousin arguing about whether they were part Romany because one of their relatives knew some of the language. Turns out there was simply a social tie with the Roma community that dated back a few generations due to a business run by another relative that served that community.

Before the internet and genetic testing most people were just guessing at what their actual genetic makeup involved.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
She never claimed to be Native American, she only claimed to have Native American ancestry which is proven now by this test.

Anyway, you're from South America, right? That's a different history and culture and can't be compared to this case.
Perhaps they should call it Indigenous Peoples instead of Native "Americans"? DIL's family is from Puerto Rico. Her grandparents were from there. She got 15% "Native" as well. Not the same thing regarding Warren.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Her results corroborate her the family history that has been passed on to her the woman has been telling the truth. Good grief she descends from Native Americans what's so hard to grasp. She carries the ancestry she claimed. A segment of 13.4 centimorgans is certainly large enough to be reliable she possibly had a NA ancestor about 8 generations ago during the colonial era. It would behoove her to have someone triangulate this segment and see who her matches are.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Perhaps they should call it Indigenous Peoples instead of Native "Americans"? DIL's family is from Puerto Rico. Her grandparents were from there. She got 15% "Native" as well. Not the same thing regarding Warren.
I am 18% Clovis, so we are the same people. Doesn't matter if the Native American is from Peru or Canada, we all came from the Clovis Nation.
Read history !!!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
This post is false. She never took a 23 and Me test. She had her DNA tested at a "private lab" then brought in some guy willing to invent a story about it showing she has American Indian ancestors, which is impossible since his reference sample does not include any American Indians. He used proxies from Peru and Mexico. That tells you if you're HISPANIC, not American Indian.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This post is false. She never took a 23 and Me test. She had her DNA tested at a "private lab" then brought in some guy willing to invent a story about it showing she has American Indian ancestors, which is impossible since his reference sample does not include any American Indians. He used proxies from Peru and Mexico. That tells you if you're HISPANIC, not American Indian.
You should take a look at the test done by Mr Bustamante ( take a look at the link above)
He compares her Haplogroup to Native Americans in Canada and Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy