Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm just beginning at this game of genealogy, poking around to see what i can find.

I did get all the way back to Scotland, seems they were mostly church ministers. Ok, well, I have a geneaology that was in my grandmother's things, I never really looked through it. I re-discovered it last night, gave me goose bumps! parts of it track exactly! The geneaology was done by a distant cousin, now deceased, from that part of the family. what a thrill to see my own work validated.

Also, I have a rather extensive geneaology on my father's side, there again, I didn't pay much attention to it. My family comes somewhat in the middle. There again, I found it tracks! I'm starting to see some of the same names in both! And, they too descend from a long line of Scottish ministers. Watch it bee they knew each other at some point. I plan next to delve into ship manifests, see if they were in the same group coming over, This stuff really draws you in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Lines on my maternal family and on my paternal family lived in the same Arkansas county for over a hundred years, and never interacted. They were on opposite sides of a mountain, and apparently never went to the other side!

I've also found two different branches of my family tree living next door to one another in 1850 Illinois.

But none of my maternal or paternal lines have "crossed over" to the other side!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lines on my maternal family and on my paternal family lived in the same Arkansas county for over a hundred years, and never interacted. They were on opposite sides of a mountain, and apparently never went to the other side!

I've also found two different branches of my family tree living next door to one another in 1850 Illinois.

But none of my maternal or paternal lines have "crossed over" to the other side!
On one of the y-dna surname project sites my marker chart is directly below some descendents of my maternal ancestors of the same last name as mine. Happy to report that the differing haplotypes show I'm not related to myself in that way. Strange though to see the names of unrelated paternal and maternal ancestors from 200+ years ago on the same page.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
When you think about the number of ancestors you have when you go back many generations, all of us have some common ancestors in our maternal and paternal lines. Populations were smaller and many people never traveled more than a few miles from home.

And since marriages between cousins, even first cousins, was common not too long ago, for some people the consaguinity may be a bit close for comfort.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
When you think about the number of ancestors you have when you go back many generations, all of us have some common ancestors in our maternal and paternal lines. Populations were smaller and many people never traveled more than a few miles from home.
I've never found any but I've only traced them back to their arrival in North America. A lot less likely if you can only go back 300 some years. There were a lot of folks here, even back then.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Well, its not so much the similar names, its that ancestry tracks with a geneaology I inherited from my grandmother. I had researched on Ancestry back to Scotland, then compared it to my grandmother's geneaology. Actually, I had forgotten obout GM geneaology, then re-doscovered it. I was amazed to see the information I found in ancestry tracked exactly what I found in the old, "hand-done" geneaology.

I find it amazing people could go so far back in the 1940's, when that geneaology was compiled. I don't know how anyone could do such an extensive tree without a computer, but obviously they did. How amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy