Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

I've found several relatives listed as Squire, such as Squire John Smith. Some are here in USA, most go back to Germany. Why would a person be called squire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Squire | Define Squire at Dictionary.com

Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've found several relatives listed as Squire, such as Squire John Smith. Some are here in USA, most go back to Germany. Why would a person be called squire?
My grandfather's actual name was Squire but I don't know where it came from. It wasn't handed down from another family member although there WERE a few Squires in the family after him. Mostly nephews. Are you sure this isn't their name? His middle initial was C and I don't know what that stood for either!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Thanks for the link, but I was thinking perhaps Squire was some sort of geneaological term. No one in my grandfather's family fit any of the definitions in your site, but thanks for looking!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My grandfather's actual name was Squire but I don't know where it came from. It wasn't handed down from another family member although there WERE a few Squires in the family after him. Mostly nephews. Are you sure this isn't their name? His middle initial was C and I don't know what that stood for either!

Well, it appeared his name was Squire, or it was some sort of title. Then, upon looking at other sources that were a bit more legible, it appears his name was Squire W......strange! He certainly wasn't an attorney, he was a blacksmith! Maybe Squire was some sort of title for blacksmith? Ok, according to the definition above, sometimes squires were servants of sorts to Knights, etc. Well, perhaps that extended down to blacksmiths?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Ok, in my family's case, it appears to be a title of sorts. Going back 5 generations, it appears they always named the first-born son Squire, then first and last name. It even appears as such on death certificates. I can only assume it has something to do with inheritance.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM

I think it most likely was just a title of respect. Not really a name. And the son who inherited the title probably became the "Squire." I have thought of it as a title given to a prosperous landowner who was not a titled lord, like a "duke' or "earl."

It would help to know the context in which you found it.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think it most likely was just a title of respect. Not really a name. And the son who inherited the title probably became the "Squire." I have thought of it as a title given to a prosperous landowner who was not a titled lord, like a "duke' or "earl."

It would help to know the context in which you found it.

Well, it just always went with the name.I find it in census, death certificates, other family trees, etc. Perhaps long ago an ancestor was actually a squire, and the title passed down. I can trace back to Germany, then, the line just drops out. Perhaps, like you suggest, simply a title of respect. so, my grandfather would have been Squire Grandpa?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Landed gentry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason I asked about context is because it could be a name.

It would be fun to see if any of your "squires" were in the Burke book. You can search it on ancestry.com!

"About Burke's Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland
This database details information found in John Burke’s history of landed gentry or commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, printed in 1837 and 1838. The work includes information about those persons who owned land or held high official rank, but were not considered nobility. Biographies often contain information about names, places, dates of vital events such as birth, marriage and death, occupations, and occasionally, an achievement of a coat of arms."

Glossary of Titles

"SQUIRE (Ger. Gutsherr, Junker; Ir. Scuibheir; Ital. Scudiero; Port. Morgado; Sp. Escudero) Usually this refers to the servant of a knight, a young person of roughly 14 to 21 who is learning the business of being a knight. It, and similar terms in other languages have been applied to landed gentry, owners of large estates who do not hold patents of nobility. The term derives ultimately to a phrase (Esquyer, Escutier) in Anglo-Norman meaning 'Shieldbearer', and a variant of that has also remained in the language: Esquire."

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, it appeared his name was Squire, or it was some sort of title. Then, upon looking at other sources that were a bit more legible, it appears his name was Squire W......strange! He certainly wasn't an attorney, he was a blacksmith! Maybe Squire was some sort of title for blacksmith? Ok, according to the definition above, sometimes squires were servants of sorts to Knights, etc. Well, perhaps that extended down to blacksmiths?
My grandad, Squire, was a farmer all his life. I don't know where the name came from for sure but likely from my great grandma's side of the family, the Rileys. I know there was at least one Squire Riley. You are correct that back in the Medieval (sp) days there were squires that attended the knights, took care of their horses, etc.. Maybe my great grandma had high hopes for my grandad??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy