Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

Do you have any ancestors who were indentured servants?

Where and when? What do you know about their lives?

Any female indentued servants you've found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Yes, I'm pretty sure many of my ancestors who arrived here in Virginia in the 17th and 18th century were indentured servants but I'm more certain about my 6x great grandparents who came here in the 1720s and ended up with a plantation on the James River between Richmond and Charlottesville. They then relocated further West. One of their great grandchildren with their name became governor of Missouri.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
my maternal grandfather's side, my g g g g g great Grandfather arrived in Maryland on a convict transport in 1719, less than six months after the Transportation act was passed. James and his brother's family were from a rural family, but they were arrested selling clothes taken off a clothesline. I can only guess that as lands were being enclused then they were dispossessed and moved to the greater London area. Williamn's later wife was also arrested for reciieving the stolen shirt he sold and all three were transported to Maryland.

He married eleven years later, and since no sentence was stated in the Old Bailey documents I found attached to his name I assume either it was a longer sentence or it was extended via the normal means used under the system. His wife was born in Pensulvania and was fourteen at her marriage to him (he was 31). William married his wife about the same time later and moved onto Kentucky.

Twin boys seemed to have run in the family. James named his James and William and altered the spelling of the last name. Then his son William had two boys named James and William, retruning it to the 'normal' one. Must have got confusing if they had a family reunion.

But James ended up living a life that stretched from being a petty thief on the streets of London to a convict to a family man with sixty years of family to enjoy, seeing America become an independant nation along the way. Lots more to look up about him, but he had quite an amazing life. He died at the ripe old age (especially for then) of 91.

From Maryland, James moved through Kentucky and West Virginia, where one son was born, and were early settlers in Missouri where generations remained (and still do).

Before that, there are ancestors here, but I'll have to delve deeper back in good time to find out But given that at the time of the revolution, fifty percent of white citizens of Virginia were descendent of indentured servants, its a good possibility. Over half of those who came to Jamestown, for instance, were indentured.

Good thread. I think we need to recognize that not everyone came with money for the boat and some not even wanting to come at all. Lets give some kudos to the survivors who weren't inclined to give up. I see that in my family all the way down to me.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
had one ancestor I know was indentured, worked his time, and was given land prior to "King Philip's War" - prior to French and Indian War.

maybe 1650 or so

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Yes. On my father's side.

They took to the hills at the first possible opportunity. Literally.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
On my fathers side there was an indentured baker in new york city in the 1770's.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. On my father's side.

They took to the hills at the first possible opportunity. Literally.
I wonder what sort of trouble they could have gotten in if caught.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I wonder what sort of trouble they could have gotten in if caught.
I believe the most common punishment was to add time onto the original length of the servitude.

These particular ancestors went into some of the most remote parts of Appalachia. I doubt anyone was too keen on going in there to look for them. Much of it was Indian territory.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I believe the most common punishment was to add time onto the original length of the servitude.

These particular ancestors went into some of the most remote parts of Appalachia. I doubt anyone was too keen on going in there to look for them. Much of it was Indian territory.
My ancestors dissapeared into Kentucky post indenture about 1730. Since Maryland was one of the prime areas where they were in demamd due to the need for a large cheap and disposable labor force for the tabacco fields.

I've been trying to find specifics, but they are scatted around the book, but punishment for being caught was harsh there. Whipping was used just as a matter of course, and public stocks. But since the owner had a vested interest in keeping their property as long as possible, adding time became an increasingly used method of making even small offenses not worth it. Escapees when caught would have months or if it was a second one, years added. Plus, they were charged in time for the expense of advertising for them, searches or any expense, and for the 'work lost'. A few days freedom could easily add a year if they owner wanted to.

Marriage was forbidden, so since my ancestor didn't marry and leave for ten years, my assumption would be he spent more than his seven years in bondage. All over stealing a shirt.

An excellent book with the whole history of the 'servant' trade from its beginning is White Cargo The Forgotten History of Britan's White Slaves in America by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh. In the history forum there's a long thread about the subject.

It was the first form of forced labor in British colonies and the practices of African slavery grew out of the foundation it provided. It was officially outlawed in the 13th amendment along with generational slavery.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
I'm thinking I do, but I have no way of knowing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy