Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Thanks for sharing, that's so fascinating! I've heard of a lot of Mexicans having Middle East ancestry because of Lebanese immigration (I am half Lebanese)

I feel that I should do this test, I'm so curious and I love seeing everyone else's results.
The could have it also from the Moorish invasion and conquest of Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:45 AM

334 posts, read 454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
A more detailed composition

Did you send to Dr MacDonald on 23andMe to do a further breakdown of your results? He does it for free on 23andme and they go more in depth with the results and find more geographic regions and tribes etc.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Pretty interesting how mixed i am. I thought i would be more european since i have "caucausian features", light skinned, dark brown hair, light brown eyes, slightly taller than the average american male. Oh well lol. Pretty cool, i like it. Took them less than a month. It reached the lab in Jan 30, full results were sent this morning.

Are both of your parents Mexican from Mexico? And what parts of Mexico are your roots from?

Something to consider also is that you could have Pinoy and Filipino ancestry. Philippines had mutually beneficial trading and cultural exchanges. Many Pinoys were brought to Mexico as slaves or as traders on the Manila Alcapulco galleon trade dating back to the very early Spanish colonial period and lasting until the 1820s, however migrations still occurred even afterwards. This trade also went into places like Cuba, Spanish and French Louisiana among other places and U.S. Southern states and Gulf of Mexico region states and bayous.

So much of your Asian/East Asian/Native American component could come from that as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah we are the product of colonialism lol. I saw your color wheel. Pretty cool. Is that on Standard view?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...e-results.html

I found it interesing that i have more North African/Middle eastern ancestry than you? I am thinking the berber people in Andalusia Spain? Or maybe the lebanese and other arab migration to Mexico?
You could possibly have Sephardic Jewish ancestry or Arab Jewish ancestry as well (Sephardic and/or Mizrahi)

Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't have North African/Middle Eastern because my lineage has no historical ties to that region. It could be a result of NA and Spanish admixture. The two regions aren't that far apart, and they have historical ties. You probably inherited it from either a Spanish ancestor, or perhaps a Canarian one. I'll have to find out if Canarians immigrated to Mexico.

Indigenous Canarians cluster with North Africans.
The Guanches peoples who were/are the indigenous peoples of the Canary islands are basically a Berber like people

Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Thanks for sharing, that's so fascinating! I've heard of a lot of Mexicans having Middle East ancestry because of Lebanese immigration (I am half Lebanese)

I feel that I should do this test, I'm so curious and I love seeing everyone else's results.
Lebanese & Syrians immigrated every damn where. They're in like every country around the world almost it seems, especially in the Western Hemisphere.

Shakira has a Lebanese father.

Salma Hayek has a Lebanese father and a Spaniard mother.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't have North African/Middle Eastern because my lineage has no historical ties to that region. It could be a result of NA and Spanish admixture. The two regions aren't that far apart, and they have historical ties. You probably inherited it from either a Spanish ancestor, or perhaps a Canarian one. I'll have to find out if Canarians immigrated to Mexico.

Indigenous Canarians cluster with North Africans.
Well never count it out. You could have Middle Eastern ancestry and not know it. Anything is possible.

Another possible way Middle Eastern and Semitic ancestries could have arrived or gotten into DNA in the Latin America and Caribbean region is through the Arab slave trade and Arab, Muslim, Jewish, and Middle Eastern penetration into the African continent dating back to ancient times and occurinf and ongoing continuously and also lots of race mixing in varying degrees.

Many Africans brought to the New World often may have been mixed or had significant contact with Arabs etc. Many Africans arrived to the New World as Muslims also before being baptized and converted to Christianity. So it's very complex.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
Did you send to Dr MacDonald on 23andMe to do a further breakdown of your results? He does it for free on 23andme and they go more in depth with the results and find more geographic regions and tribes etc.
I have heard about it but don't know how?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
Are both of your parents Mexican from Mexico? And what parts of Mexico are your roots from?

Something to consider also is that you could have Pinoy and Filipino ancestry. Philippines had mutually beneficial trading and cultural exchanges. Many Pinoys were brought to Mexico as slaves or as traders on the Manila Alcapulco galleon trade dating back to the very early Spanish colonial period and lasting until the 1820s, however migrations still occurred even afterwards. This trade also went into places like Cuba, Spanish and French Louisiana among other places and U.S. Southern states and Gulf of Mexico region states and bayous.

So much of your Asian/East Asian/Native American component could come from that as well.
Yes they are both Mexican, my mother was born in Chihuahua and her family have been in Chihuahua for as far as my great grandmother remembers. My dad is Mexican American and his family has been here since the 1920's but they also come from the Chihuahua/Sonora region.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yes they are both Mexican, my mother was born in Chihuahua and her family have been in Chihuahua for as far as my great grandmother remembers. My dad is Mexican American and his family has been here since the 1920's but they also come from the Chihuahua/Sonora region.
Genetic admixtures studies on Mexico by each region:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy