Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

My cousin just died, and other cousin (late cousin's brother) told me on Facebook, and asked if I would notify my sisters. I did so.

My second sister asked me -- when do you put that in the tree?

It was already there. I pulled up the program and entered the date, as I was talking to first sister. When something like this happens, talk often to turns to when, and where, and I need my program open to answer the questions so I updated it then.

Since we aren't close to that side of the family, she seemed to think that was okay.

But when asked when I put our mother's death date in the tree and given the same answer -- she thought that was a little callous. Like I didn't care.

I explained that it actually felt momentous, that I was archiving something Very Important. It was an honor that I could do for our mother.

That seemed to elevate it to ghoulish.

I told her also I do the same thing for births -- get notified, sit down and stick it in the tree. That was perfectly fine.

By the end of the conversation, I think I got convinced what I was doing was normal... for a family genealogist, at least.

So -- when does every one archive the important family dates that happen as we go through life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I think you did fine but non genies often misunderstand.

I'm not up to date on the deaths but I see nothing wrong with recording them as soon as they happen. Probably in the old days someone wrote it in the family Bible when it happened. Thank goodness there is someone in the family to be the record keeper. The others can give us a hard time when they don't understand but in the long run they will appreciate all our hard work.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
I just added a recent death, too. She was my oldest relative, a great aunt who died at age 102. I also had that feeling of something Very Important.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
You want things to be as accurate as possible, and that means recording it as near to the event as you can. You don't wait a "decent interval" to write an obituary, make funeral arrangements, etc. This seems no different. But then, I am a genealogist, too.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I usually put it in as soon as I hear about it and it's convenient for me to do so. I think some people have this idea that doing so is some kind of emotionless response, as though one cares more about documenting the event than grieving over the loss of a loved one. Sort of how we view journalists and photojournalists who sometimes seem to only be concerned with "getting the story" rather than caring for the people in the story. Personally, I feel it's actually a part of the grieving process. When I entered my father-in-law's death date into my husband's tree, I got choked up and there something very momentous about it, I kind of had my own little private goodbye in that moment.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
It's kind of like medical types discussing surgery or gross symptoms over lunch. Non-medicos just don't get it.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 AM

147 posts, read 178,177 times
Yes, it's preserving memories and history for posterity. You never know who will find it one day.

As for anything "ghoulish", probably you'd find just as many complain if you *didn't* mark it quickly, as if their relative was forgotten or not important enough.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I put these dates and events in as soon as I learn of them, what I feel about the task as I do it, of course, depends upon who the person is or was.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Echoes of all the other posters: Do it right away, when you have the facts fresh in your mind. Same with birth, marriage, etc. Our culture just has a bizarre (to me) and ultra-sensitive idea about death.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
I faced a similar situation when a first cousin who recently died. I decided to wait 5-6 weeks. In the meantime, while showing him still living in my Ancestry tree, I fleshed out the rest of his profile, and attached photos. I also created custom events with descriptions, about his business history, his hobbies and interests and other commentary about his life/personality from his obituary.

In other words, I turned his profile into a memorial. I always try to do that if I can when I find out about a death. My take is that, to those not involved in genealogy, just listing a very recent date of death might seem rather tacky i.e. "my only reaction/feeling upon learning that this person has died is that now I can record a death date in my tree."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy