Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out when my 2nd great grandfather died and I'm having some difficulties.

His name was Harry Willis Pease, b. 12 May 1884 in Anson, ME.

I have his birth record, both marriage records and he is alive and well in the 1940 census living in New Portland, ME.

Maine Vital Records has an online death record search starting in 1960 and he's not there, so I am assuming he died sometime between April 1940 and January 1960. I have sent out a written request to the Maine Vital Records but it's such a large span of time, it might be fruitless.

None of his immediate family died in that time frame and his second wife Lizzie Pease died in 1960. I still need to track down her obituary but I feel it will simply say 'pre-deceased by...'

Is there any other avenue I could look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
There's no answer in this thread, but a couple years ago, someone in the Find A Grave forums was looking for his info too...unless that was you?

Harry Willis Pease... What happened to him? - Find A Grave Forums

Unfortunately, the microfilm images for Somerset Co., Maine Probate Records, on FamilySearch, only go up to 1916.

If the more recent records have been microfilmed, you may need to visit an FHL library or another library and ILL them. Or, make a trip to Maine and view the records in person. Presuming we think he remained in that area of Maine until his death.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
who Warren Harry Pease. from what i see Harry W was married three time, and lizzie last name was either Lane or Boynton. its listed two different ways

Old 06-01-2014, 08:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I did a little bit of digging in Ancestry and Google. I couldn't find a death for him either. He m. Elizabeth Lane 1 July 1922. I searched one of the Portland newspaper obits on Ancestry--nothing.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times

This guy sure is mysterious. The above doesn't solve the mystery but it shows how hard it is to find him.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:04 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
enport cemetery
EAST NEW PORTLAND CEMETERY
New Portland, Maine

PEASE Lizzie W. 1896 - 1960

If Lizzie is at E. New Portland Cem., than where is Harry?

Have you tried calling the cem. office & asking them to look up his name in their records?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Funny, I have a similar circumstance with my 2nd great grandfather as well. I think he died between 1930 and 1940 (he's in the 1930 census but I don't find him in the 1940 one), but I've never been able to pinpoint exactly when or where.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
If he had children, he may be buried next to his first wife in family plot. Or his parents might have a large family plot. Check mortuary records of the area.

County courthouse records for probate and land/property transfers. Some voters registration records are well kept- county election office. City directory listing. Church records for burial date and his presence as witness to baptisms, weddings, etc.

Veterans affairs,if a veteran, for burial benefits record and gravestone marker application. Area veterans groups..like VFW. Area Fraternal society membership rolls and alumni associations for any schools attended.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
It's not an answer, but (from Ancestry) ...

When his brother Willie Morrell Pease had his birth (3 Jun 1887) recorded in Anson, Maine, it indicates it was done (I'm assuming via an affidavit) by his brother, Harry W. Pease, N. Portland, on April 3, 1953.

Harry's birth record was similarly filed by his sister Ella Mae Gordon, of N. Anson ME on May 16, 1949.

Anyway, so you know he's alive in April 1953. Both are probably about the time both men filed for Social Security. It's why most delayed births were recorded.

All of which is an excellent example why you need to fully research ALL the members of a family. Not just the one you're directly related to.

You might check the city directories for Portland. See when he disappears. Or even better yet, some city directories put death dates in. Unfortunately, I didn't see any for Portland online that late. So, you'll likely need to go to, or check with, a Portland area library.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
There's no answer in this thread, but a couple years ago, someone in the Find A Grave forums was looking for his info too...unless that was you?

Unfortunately, the microfilm images for Somerset Co., Maine Probate Records, on FamilySearch, only go up to 1916.

If the more recent records have been microfilmed, you may need to visit an FHL library or another library and ILL them. Or, make a trip to Maine and view the records in person. Presuming we think he remained in that area of Maine until his death.
Yes, that was me. Still trying to complete my records for him two years later! I am planning on making a trip to Maine next summer on a fact-finding mission! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
who Warren Harry Pease. from what i see Harry W was married three time, and lizzie last name was either Lane or Boynton. its listed two different ways
Harry was married twice, once to Minnie Elizabeth Tripp in 1905 and then to Lizzie Whitten Boynton Lane in 1922.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I did a little bit of digging in Ancestry and Google. I couldn't find a death for him either. He m. Elizabeth Lane 1 July 1922. I searched one of the Portland newspaper obits on Ancestry--nothing.
Thank you for looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

This guy sure is mysterious. The above doesn't solve the mystery but it shows how hard it is to find him.
Yeah, you'd think being a more recent ancestor it would be easier to find a death date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
enport cemetery
EAST NEW PORTLAND CEMETERY
New Portland, Maine

PEASE Lizzie W. 1896 - 1960

If Lizzie is at E. New Portland Cem., than where is Harry?

Have you tried calling the cem. office & asking them to look up his name in their records?
I spoke with the New Portland historian, who actually knew him! (Crazy!) She has the plot map for the cemetery and it lists Harry W. Pease as buried there, however no headstone has been found. I am assuming he is buried there, but the headstone is either missing or hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Funny, I have a similar circumstance with my 2nd great grandfather as well. I think he died between 1930 and 1940 (he's in the 1930 census but I don't find him in the 1940 one), but I've never been able to pinpoint exactly when or where.
Keep looking! You never know when new information will pop up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If he had children, he may be buried next to his first wife in family plot. Or his parents might have a large family plot. Check mortuary records of the area.

County courthouse records for probate and land/property transfers. Some voters registration records are well kept- county election office. City directory listing. Church records for burial date and his presence as witness to baptisms, weddings, etc.

Veterans affairs,if a veteran, for burial benefits record and gravestone marker application. Area veterans groups..like VFW. Area Fraternal society membership rolls and alumni associations for any schools attended.
Wow,this is great info, thanks! Some of those I haven't checked yet, but they also seem like I have to put boots on the ground there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's not an answer, but (from Ancestry) ...

When his brother Willie Morrell Pease had his birth (3 Jun 1887) recorded in Anson, Maine, it indicates it was done (I'm assuming via an affidavit) by his brother, Harry W. Pease, N. Portland, on April 3, 1953.

Harry's birth record was similarly filed by his sister Ella Mae Gordon, of N. Anson ME on May 16, 1949.

Anyway, so you know he's alive in April 1953. Both are probably about the time both men filed for Social Security. It's why most delayed births were recorded.

All of which is an excellent example why you need to fully research ALL the members of a family. Not just the one you're directly related to.

You might check the city directories for Portland. See when he disappears. Or even better yet, some city directories put death dates in. Unfortunately, I didn't see any for Portland online that late. So, you'll likely need to go to, or check with, a Portland area library.
Wow! Thank you! I can't believe I missed that! I even have Willie's birth record in my file but never noticed the signature! This is great! Now my gap is waaay smaller. Only seven years!

Thanks you so much! I can not believe I overlooked something like that! A pile of papers and the clue was sitting right there!

Jason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy