Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times

Advertisements

I just found out from my grandmother that she's 100% Crow nation native American. So that makes me 1/4. I feel awkward asking more questions but I feel like I want to know more about the people. Last name of the family is Love.

Anyone here who's Crow that can tell me more than Google?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I just found out from my grandmother that she's 100% Crow nation native American. So that makes me 1/4. I feel awkward asking more questions but I feel like I want to know more about the people. Last name of the family is Love.

Anyone here who's Crow that can tell me more than Google?
Your best bet is to find family members on their reservation, if you are 1/4 your grandmother should be more than able to tell you her family members in the tribe. They have over 10,000 enrolled tribal members.

Office of Indian Affairs

Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Do you want to know more about the culture & history of The Crow? Or, do you want to trace your family's history?

If you want to trace your family history than begin with what you know & work back generation-by-generation.

Good genealogy sources are census, newspapers, vital records & many more.

Try www.familysearch.org They have lots of databases.

Also, www.ancestry.com is a subscriber site, but is free on many public library computers.

Another thread mentioned that Ancestery is offering free access to census this weekend.

U.S., Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940

U.S., Citizenship Case Files in Indian Territory, 1896-1897

This may be of interest: The life and adventures of James P. Beckwourth: mountaineer, scout, pioneer, and chief of the Crow nation of Indians: written from his own dictation
The life and adventures of James P. Beckwourth: mountaineer, scout, pioneer, and chief of the Crow nation of Indians: written from his own dictation

I have not read it myself.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Do you want to know more about the culture & history of The Crow? Or, do you want to trace your family's history?

If you want to trace your family history than begin with what you know & work back generation-by-generation.

Good genealogy sources are census, newspapers, vital records & many more.

Try www.familysearch.org They have lots of databases.

Also, www.ancestry.com is a subscriber site, but is free on many public library computers.

Another thread mentioned that Ancestery is offering free access to census this weekend.

This may be of interest: The life and adventures of James P. Beckwourth: mountaineer, scout, pioneer, and chief of the Crow nation of Indians: written from his own dictation
The life and adventures of James P. Beckwourth: mountaineer, scout, pioneer, and chief of the Crow nation of Indians: written from his own dictation

I have not read it myself.
Thanks. It's not free though, so I can't see anything. It looks too expensive.

I'll see if the government can provide some free information from those same census files.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Any public library can get you plenty of books if you want to read about Indians in general or the Crow in particular.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Thanks. It's not free though, so I can't see anything. It looks too expensive.

I'll see if the government can provide some free information from those same census files.

As I said in my answer, Ancestry is free at many public libraries & other locations, i.e. NARA sites, FHL sites.

Genealogy may seem confusing at first, but it's fun to learn about.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Thanks for all the information and I will definitely find stuff at the library.

Update: I just figured out a few days ago when I was looking at the family tree, that my grandmother is only half, because her grandfather on her father's side was a white European American, and that it was his surname Love that passed down to grandma's father, and great grandma Caroline - the Crow woman - was not named Love. So that makes me 1/8 blood quantum, not 1/4.

I researched a 1999 Crow law that members with less than 1/4 blood quantum are still accepted by the tribe, however, will not have any voting rights, but will have a right to the land trust or something that I gathered means a right to live on and share the reservation land.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM

322 posts, read 707,968 times
The government had Indian Census rolls for this tribe between 1891 to about 1940 with the Crow Agency.
It list how the person was enumerated, 1/2 blood, fullblood etc...thats how a blood quanta (tribal) is figured out, not by going by a family tree alone. It sounds like you are doing guess work, not looking at Crow Tribal rolls which are very available.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:51 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times
Crow?

I've been called a turkey, and chicken...crow, not so much.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 PM

So I went to the library and found Indian census rolls for the Crow, and I figured Caroline isn't too common. I don't have information for birth year nor maiden last name, so I'm working with some very limited information.

My grandma is 67 and currently on a mission with her church in Uganda and Kenya, so I can't just call her up. From grandma's age, though, I have about a 15 year range for my great grandmother's birth, and I've narrowed it down to between 1915 and 1930. I looked at the 1925 census. I didn't have time to check the 1940 rolls but I'll look next time. Does anyone know of these Carolines or their relatives? Another thing I'll have to find out is whether she was born on or off the reservation, although I don't know if that would affect whether she and her parents would appear in the census. It's very tedious trying to verify or debunk whether my great grandma was what she said she was. But I am learning a lot about native Americans this past week than I have ever learned in my entire life.

Caroline Amanda Old Crow, born 1921, to Annie Plenty good and Stands Among Shooters/Simon Old Crow
Caroline Old Bull, 1923, to Amy Old Bull
Caroline Claire, 1912, to Elsie Peters Claire Johnson
Caroline Shane, 1916, to Edward Shane

???

I also wanted to ask before trying, whether contacting Crow Agency will give some answers, but without a maiden name and birth year, I feel like I'd be wasting their time. I just want my grandma to give me everything she remembers about her mother all at once. She left home at an early age so I hope she knows a lot more than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy