Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Because we don't know anything about him. She just assumes that he was from the place he lived in (my great-grandmother lived all her life in Switzerland)
I'm sure you know he may have been from Timbuktu traveling through Switzerland on his way to somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

167 posts, read 409,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm sure you know he may have been from Timbuktu traveling through Switzerland on his way to somewhere else.
No we know nothing about him since his identity has been kept secret and the only people who knew died.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Appearance doesn't always reflect ancestry. Everyone says I look like my Italian ancestry, but then they also say I look exactly like my mom, who is not Italian but German, British, and Norwegian (and possible some Dutch). So despite my Italian ancestry, I must actually look Italian by accident.

Also keep in mind that ethnicity percentages can't be calculated on paper because you inherit random amounts. While you inherit 50/50 from your parents, you do not necessarily inherit 25% from each grandparent, you might inherit 30% from one and only 10% from another.

I'm guessing you are calculating the fact that she is 3.125% Greek, for example, on the basis that she had a 3rd great grandparent who was Greek? In reality, she could be more like 10% Greek or only 1% Greek. You can't know unless she takes an autosomal DNA test. But if she does, also keep in mind that those are only estimates and not exact.

How does on not inherit 50% from each parent? Could you expound upon this?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
warren,
Read it again.
He states that you inherit 50/50 from your parents.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
warren,
Read it again.
He states that you inherit 50/50 from your parents.
She. But yes, thank you. I did actually say you do inherit 50/50 from your parents but not necessarily 25% from each grandparent.

This will explain it more detail: Why are my AncestryDNA ethnicity results different than I expected?

This chart shows how, as an example, you might wind up with 2% Native American and 15% Central European even though both came from a 3rd great grandparent:

So just because the OP's mother had a Greek 3rd great grandparent, it doesn't mean she is exactly 3.125% Greek.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i have seen people claim german, Norwegian, poland french, italy, all those countries, they have all their own cultures. most of these countries are 100 miles apart, and really are the same people. Its like me claiming michigan and florida, same country but thousand miles apart. some of those europe countries are just over the hill

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
The nose and black curly hair could be Greek but could also be gipsy. Without a pic I can't say.

But hey, genes get inherited at random. You can't say you got 3.25% Greek and French and 90% Swiss.
I have a niece whose mom is white blond, like Marlyn Monroe with blue eyes and pale skin. Her daughter - my niece - has dark skin, dark hair and black eyes. She resembles her great grandmother who is Greek. Her dad, my cousin, not much so. The genes have skipped a generation.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM

167 posts, read 409,434 times
I doubt her appearance to be romani. Maybe the black curly hair but the eye is brown, not black and the skin is too pale

Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
She. But yes, thank you. I did actually say you do inherit 50/50 from your parents but not necessarily 25% from each grandparent.

This will explain it more detail: Why are my AncestryDNA ethnicity results different than I expected?

This chart shows how, as an example, you might wind up with 2% Native American and 15% Central European even though both came from a 3rd great grandparent:

So just because the OP's mother had a Greek 3rd great grandparent, it doesn't mean she is exactly 3.125% Greek.
Is that a real chart associated with AncestryDNA?
Or is that a chart from some other source?

To the OP, if you haven't done so, I'd suggest doing the AncestryDNA test. It's really fun and you may get some surprising results, I know I did!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Is that a real chart associated with AncestryDNA?
Or is that a chart from some other source?
If you click the link I provided, you will see that the image came from that Ancestry.com article. It is in their Help/FAQ section. Just search for "dna results" in the FAQ and that article with that image is among the results.

So yes, it's from a reliable source, if that's what you're wondering. I'm not making this stuff up, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy