Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times

Advertisements

Great, uploaded to YouTube. I will catch that later.

Overall, I prefer the UK WDYTYA TV series. There are some shows from other countries as well such as Australia. I haven't had a chance to watch any of those yet or the American one from this season. A lot of these shows can easily be found on Youtube. No cable necessary (at this time anyway) in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Josh Groban

The ads are the price of admission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFbPTS8d1Y

Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Terrific episode on Josh Groban! I always feel the relative youth of America when compared to so many of these European countries. It's also astounding to see over and over how much we inherit the talents and interests of our ancestors.

Thanks for the post, bjh.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Terrific episode on Josh Groban! I always feel the relative youth of America when compared to so many of these European countries. It's also astounding to see over and over how much we inherit the talents and interests of our ancestors.

We are our DNA. To some extent anyway.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post

Agreed, really good episode (Josh Groban). I plan to watch some of the others sometime soon.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
The original Jay Z.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
I have thoroughly enjoyed WDYTYA in the past, but this season I've not watched one episode. Sunday nights at 10 p.m. just doesn't work for me. I thought all was lost ... thank you Tobiashen and bjh for the youtube links!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Epi 3 Angie Harmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvX0KtJCMgI

Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
the angie harmon episode was really good and she seems like a geniuine person to me . She lives in charlotte nc and that is only an hour away from me and I love the fact that she is raising her daughter away from Hollywood and that she seems to be a great mother and especially when she told her kids to mind their manners please .. yep very impressed with her .

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I've had to watch the first three episodes on On-Demand, since TLC saw fit to put WDYTYA up against my mandatory Sunday night Walking Dead ritual.

My thoughts: In general, they seem to be stuck on this "one ancestor per episode" theme. No multiple ancestors, very little tree. While they chose very interesting ancestors to portray, they really are doing "biography" rather then "genealogy."
But that being said...

Julie Chen: Very interesting how changes in Chinese political history affected the life of this ancestor. I also loved how the school children saw the picture of Chen's grandfather every day, and knew all about the founder of their school. I can't imagine a school here in the US where all the kids know and revere the founder of their school or who it's named for.

Josh Groban: First, I'd never heard of him. I was thinking I'd be seeing Seth Rogen Anyway, I really loved this story of this educated, intelligent, heroic man of deep faith, and how his ideas got him into trouble, but he stood his ground. I loved all the 17th century history around his story. Yes, his standing firm on his beliefs bought about the downfall of him & his family, but it led to his family getting to the haven of Pennsylvania.

Angie Harmon: Very interesting story of an indentured servant in Philadelphia, turned US revolutionary patriot, who was let down by the fledgling Continental Congress, and toyed with treachery. And how cool that his farm in Kentucky is still owned by his descendants: distant cousins to Angie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy