Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 9,138 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the person who originally set me off on the family tree trail!

Violet May Hughes was born 18 December 1926, in Herriard, Hampshire. She is/was my husband's mother and 'disappeared' around 1954. At that time she was living in Axford.

Her mother was Sarah Jane (Sissie) Fosberry born 1897; father was George Hughes born 1886 - both in the Basingstoke area of Hampshire. Her husband was Walter Robert (Bob) Elson born in Somerset.

When Bob wanted to remarry Vi was unable to be found. Again, when her sister wanted to adopt my husband she was nowhere to be found. The assumption is that she either changed her name or was deceased.

I have attached the only two photos of Vi that we have in case anyone recognises her!

As Vi suffered from epilepsy and had been hopitalised just prior to her disappearance I wondered if it was possible to trace her through hospital records. But where to start?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Violet May Hughes.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	149146

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob & Vi's Wedding Day.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	149148
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times
Would this be of any help? https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../3000/data.pdf

Old 05-03-2015, 01:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Since you only have one post Jadamorg22 your link will not work. The rules require that you post 10 messages before you can post active links.

What your information tells is is that Violet May Hughes lived at Flat 2 in Block 2 at Lienagarvey Court in Whitchurch Glam. She was a Spinster. It generally means she never married or had children. She died Mar 26, 1962. To learn more requires you to contact the bank or lawyer in Cardiff. The bank may no longer have any records or be in business; the lawyer can be deceased. Follow this link below.

You can contact us by email (customer.services@thegazette.co.uk). If you do contact the archives you will need the following information.

The London Gazette
Publication date:10 April 1962
Issue:42645Page:3000

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Since you only have one post Jadamorg22 your link will not work. The rules require that you post 10 messages before you can post active links.

What your information tells is is that Violet May Hughes lived at Flat 2 in Block 2 at Lienagarvey Court in Whitchurch Glam. She was a Spinster. It generally means she never married or had children. She died Mar 26, 1962. To learn more requires you to contact the bank or lawyer in Cardiff. The bank may no longer have any records or be in business; the lawyer can be deceased. Follow this link below.

You can contact us by email (customer.services@thegazette.co.uk). If you do contact the archives you will need the following information.

The London Gazette
Publication date:10 April 1962
Issue:42645Page:3000

Good Luck!
Presuming she is the correct Violet May Hughes, it would appear she had changed back to her maiden name, because the OP's Viola had indeed been married. The "spinster" may have come from someone who did not know she was married.

I have a similar situation in my husband's tree. A married woman disappeared, one female child went to live with her paternal grandparents, two male children were placed in a home for "half orphans" because the father had no one to help him with them and traveled for his work. No one knows for sure what happened to her. However, I periodically search her name on Ancestry.com just to see if something new comes up, and by golly a marriage license pops up. She lived in New York; this license was in Massachusetts. I know it's her because it gives the names of her parents. She lists herself as "widow" for the license, while her first husband, who is very much alive, still lists himself as married. What's exasperating is that she disappears from all records after that. I cannot find her actually living with the new husband.

So if a married woman can call herself a "widow", I suspect a married woman could let people believe she was a "spinster", too.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Finding ancestors who wish to disappear was much easier in those days. It is quite possible there were two women named Violet May Hughes who were born about the same time who are not related. It is also possible Violet May was named after her mother Violet May.

The names or mother, Elenor, and daughter, Eleanor, have been a bone of contention in my family for many years. One of the women used a nickname and because of it, a cousins has had the daughter married twice to the same 1C2R for twenty years.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Since taking an ancestry DNA test last year it seems that it is possible that Violet may have had a child with a member of the McLelland family. We have had contact with two members of that family who are suggested as 1st or second cousins and we are now searching for the connection. A Y-dna test taken two years ago also offered the name McLelland. Somewhere out there there is a half-sibling of my husband. Onward we go...

Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneenz View Post
Since taking an ancestry DNA test last year it seems that it is possible that Violet may have had a child with a member of the McLelland family. We have had contact with two members of that family who are suggested as 1st or second cousins and we are now searching for the connection. A Y-dna test taken two years ago also offered the name McLelland. Somewhere out there there is a half-sibling of my husband. Onward we go...
Thanks for the update. This is quite a mystery you have been following. Hopefully the DNA connections will lead you to the answer.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:40 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneenz View Post
See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions where I tell you how to upload to my heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis for free family matching. For extras at my heritage it is $30 US, from what I hear $39 UK but very much worth it to get all of the tools. FTDNA charges $19 US for ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser but I only paid it for my account and rarely go there. I use my heritage the most. I'll also probably pay for records as they have a few for my grandparents in Hungary. Scroll down to where it says now to the DNA.

My Heritage has matches by country, surnames and family trees of matches when available, chromosome browser and an app like ancestry. My Heritage is by far the most superior site with features then any of them.

Have you tried searching on family search? You may find stuff there too. The link is in my thread. You may end up finding an already built tree

Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Thank you. I found your thread very interesting and there are one or two tips I will follow up on.

I have the tree (and have added the DNA results) on Myheritage, Ancestry, Findmypast, FTDNA, GEDmatch genesis and use family search often. I am also a member of Lost Cousins in the UK. To date I seem to have found a number of previously unknown cousins but no trace of my husbands mother. Fairly sure that she is deceased, as her name is visible on the UK 1939 register and there is no mention of her married name so she was probably using her maiden name at time of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy