Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Wow !!!....I am 25% Native American and I find very offensive your post.
I guess you forgot the GENOCIDE of Native Americans in North America: The Trail of Tears, the Sand Creek Massacre, and many, many other.

Don't feel bad - just about anyone with British Isles ancestry has Viking and/or Celtic ancestry - can't get much more brutal than that history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Ok, why does everyone think it's cool to have Native American ancestors? Why not some other kind of ancestor? I dunno, maybe a King or President or a Scotch-Irish fighter or horse thieves? How about a Japanese Princess? A famous singer? A french man who wrote poetry? A silversmith in Boston? A colonist who fought to bring our country to fruition? Why only Native Americans, some of whom were violent and brutal? I'm really curious.
I'm not sure someone saying they would find it interesting is the same as them saying only Native Americans.

Also every single other group you mentioned also had "some of whom were violent and brutal."

Lots of people love finding royal ancestors, ancestors who fought in wars, ancestors who did significant things or were related to those who did, etc. Why is it surprising that people living in America might find it interesting to descend from the indigenous people of America.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:59 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Part of the reason I was hoping to have the story confirmed (it wasn't if anyone is just jumping in,) was to see if my grandfather's family are "reliable witnesses" in terms of the oral history of our family. People take genealogy and heritage differently.

For instance, my paternal grandmother was the brickwall destroyer. She remembered everything with near encyclopedic detail. We have broken down brick walls in OTHER branches of the family because someone recalled a tidbit of her old wisdom like,

"Your grandfather's (her husband) grandmother was related to Folks of Frostburg."-----------Yup, turns out she sure was, and that nugget unlocked his entire family tree back to the 18th century in Allegany County.

"That Welsh fellow lived where the college is now, was a miner, and lived with a bunch of spinster sisters"-----Yup again, and I never would have found him if not but my grandmother's memory.

I can't say the same about my maternal grandfather. Looking back, I think he was just joking around with us "Yeah, my grandmother was a Crow Indian! (no, her last name was Crow.) Hahahah, yeah we're French, French-Canadian! (no evidence of that, looks more like New York/New Jersey Huguenots.) He was a great guy, but like most people, was more concerned with the here and now than the distant past. The "rememberers" like my grandmother are very rare.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:20 PM

37 posts, read 29,604 times
You need to ask the question in reverse. English DNA among Native Americans.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 PM

37 posts, read 29,604 times
The halfbreed nation. US History.
Metis were proba ly chastised by protestants and they chose india natio s.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I hear it wasn't uncommon for marriages to happen between someone who was white and the other being Native American. Obviously not every white person married a Native American, but it's always possible they married someone who was a 1/4 Native American for example. How likely are you to have even a tiny bit of Native American blood if you are descended from colonists?
I have a tiny bit. I'm 99% European and 1% Native American. Ancestors on one side go back to colonial America. There was a vague oral family history about it but I had assumed that it probably wasn't true since those stories almost never pan out. So yeah, I was surprised it showed up in my DNA.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
How likely are you to have even a tiny bit of Native American blood if you are descended from colonists?

My family has both. I don't know why it would be unusual or uncommon...people mix, and always have.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I have a tiny bit. I'm 99% European and 1% Native American. Ancestors on one side go back to colonial America. There was a vague oral family history about it but I had assumed that it probably wasn't true since those stories almost never pan out. So yeah, I was surprised it showed up in my DNA.
So you actually do have the proof! That's good--better than just the vague stories and always wondering.

I have the same colonial background with vague stories of "Indian blood." I've read that if it was more than four generations ago, it won't show up on the DNA tests though. Don't know how true this is.

And I always wonder what those weddings would have been like. Our colonial ancestors were usually strict Puritans, always attending their rigid church. Also, they were often at war with the native Americans. Native Americans kidnapped their children and walked them through the snow to Canada and the colonists would offer bribes to get them back from the "savages." I can't imagine one of these strict Puritans dragging an unkempt "savage" into church and marrying them. People would talk, lol.

That leaves me to assume that these marriages to "Indians" took place later on. This is where I start to wonder what it was like--we know that many Native Americans in New England had been killed off by then or else driven west. Sometimes I read in the old town histories, accounts that mention an "Indian" who lived in town--usually went by a name like "Old Jim" or some other nickname. Sounds as though they had turned into lost souls by that time. Their culture had been destroyed and tribes were disbanded and scattered to the winds. Maybe the few that were left just drifted into the towns and some intermarried with the settlers, now Americans, not colonists. So these marriages would probably have taken place in the 19th C and probably the Native American spouse had an Anglo-style name.

Looking at my family tree, I don't see any names or other indication that anyone was Native American. I have connected by DNA to a few people who have the Native American legend too though and we all have one family surname in common. But it remains a mystery.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So you actually do have the proof! That's good--better than just the vague stories and always wondering.

I have the same colonial background with vague stories of "Indian blood." I've read that if it was more than four generations ago, it won't show up on the DNA tests though. Don't know how true this is.

And I always wonder what those weddings would have been like. Our colonial ancestors were usually strict Puritans, always attending their rigid church. Also, they were often at war with the native Americans. Native Americans kidnapped their children and walked them through the snow to Canada and the colonists would offer bribes to get them back from the "savages." I can't imagine one of these strict Puritans dragging an unkempt "savage" into church and marrying them. People would talk, lol.

That leaves me to assume that these marriages to "Indians" took place later on. This is where I start to wonder what it was like--we know that many Native Americans in New England had been killed off by then or else driven west. Sometimes I read in the old town histories, accounts that mention an "Indian" who lived in town--usually went by a name like "Old Jim" or some other nickname. Sounds as though they had turned into lost souls by that time. Their culture had been destroyed and tribes were disbanded and scattered to the winds. Maybe the few that were left just drifted into the towns and some intermarried with the settlers, now Americans, not colonists. So these marriages would probably have taken place in the 19th C and probably the Native American spouse had an Anglo-style name.

Looking at my family tree, I don't see any names or other indication that anyone was Native American. I have connected by DNA to a few people who have the Native American legend too though and we all have one family surname in common. But it remains a mystery.
You can have detectable blocks of DNA going back 10 generations, so I'm told, but not everyone does. I don't think any of my ancestors were Puritan. Most of my colonial ancestors settled in Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas. I have several reasons to believe that my NA ancestor came from one of the southeastern tribes. More research is needed.

I hope that you solve your mystery!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Since the DNA test results were only 1% Native American, can you be sure that you really are a tiny bit NA or can that just be test noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy