Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

when ancestry dna matching with others, are they matching with the dna rsults or with the family tree that you have stored at ancestry. It sound like a stupid question but there is a reason behind it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Your match list is compiled of people who match segments of your DNA. The ones that have a shared ancestor hint are tree matches, but they are firstly your DNA matches - the system looks through your DNA matches to find tree matches too.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:29 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
DNA results are matched. Everyone tested has the option to link their DNA results to their family tree.

So, if you have a paid Ancestry subscription you can click a link to view the family tree of a DNA relative who has chosen this option. Ancestry also lists the surnames in the tree and highlights any common surnames shared. Ancestry also attempts to find shared ancestors. I have one DNA relative where Ancestry has diagramed out exactly how we are related as 4th cousins. However, most of my DNA matches either don't link to trees or the trees don't go back too far in time.

By the way if a DNA match who interests me doesn't list a family tree I check their Ancestry profile. Sometimes a link to their family tree is listed there. For some unknown reason they just haven't linked their tree to their DNA results.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:43 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
...However, most of my DNA matches either don't link to trees or the trees don't go back too far in time.
That's the biggest gripe I have with AncestryDNA. IMO, they do a nice job of identifying those with DNA matches, and then from that group, identifying those who appear to share a common ancestor with you. The rub then comes when someone with a shared ancestor has their DNA linked to a private tree. They are more than happy to mine the info you make public, with no reciprocity at all on their part. When I have contacted those with a private tree, a few have shared info but the majority have ignored me.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
That's the biggest gripe I have with AncestryDNA. IMO, they do a nice job of identifying those with DNA matches, and then from that group, identifying those who appear to share a common ancestor with you. The rub then comes when someone with a shared ancestor has their DNA linked to a private tree. They are more than happy to mine the info you make public, with no reciprocity at all on their part. When I have contacted those with a private tree, a few have shared info but the majority have ignored me.
It's much worse over at 23andMe and FTDNA, where the vast majority of people don't even have a tree and the response rate is no better.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's much worse over at 23andMe and FTDNA, where the vast majority of people don't even have a tree and the response rate is no better.
Very true.

I desperately wish AncestryDNA had a chromosome browser feature of some sort. I find myself triangulating matches on gedmatch.com, looking for kits that start with "A" for Ancestry and then trying to find them on a match on Ancestry for their tree.

AncestryDNA would be the unquestionable king of genetic genealogy autosomal DNA matching if they just had some basic chromosome matching tools (and even better with something like triangulation like gedmatch).

I really can't believe they haven't done that feature yet. Relative to how functional and powerful the Ancestry web-app is overall it's a relatively small to medium scale feature that would be so amazingly useful. I think AncestryDNA would be come the obvious choice for all of us recommending DNA testing for finding relatives.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:36 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Your matches all share DNA with you. You can see how much by clicking on the little "i" next to the confidence level in each person's match page.

However this does NOT necessarily prove the connection if your trees also link up to show shared ancestors. You could have other shared ancestors you don't know about, or you could have mistakes in your trees. To get a better idea if the connection is through specific ancestors, you would need the specific segment information which Ancestry does not provide. You can upload to GEDmatch.com to compare with your match.

The "standard" for confirming ancestors with genetic genealogy is called Triangulation. You need at least three people who share the same ancestors on paper all to share the same DNA segment. That provides the best evidence that you all descend from the same ancestor. The more distant the ancestor however (say, beyond 5th great grandparents) the less reliable this becomes. Genetic genealogy (that uses autosomal DNA) is not very helpful for confirming distant ancestors who were born before about 1750.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Do they use matches internationally? I've decided to treat myself this month. One thing I'm curious about are links to a gggrandfather who left a first family behind in Ireland. And my dad's mom whose father just didn't come home one day. The wife was believed to know where he went and why, but took the secret with her. Both of there mysteries came from the British Isles.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Do they use matches internationally? I've decided to treat myself this month. One thing I'm curious about are links to a gggrandfather who left a first family behind in Ireland. And my dad's mom whose father just didn't come home one day. The wife was believed to know where he went and why, but took the secret with her. Both of there mysteries came from the British Isles.
Ancestry.com's DNA test has only just recently become available in several other countries. It's been available in the UK, Ireland, and Canada for a couple years now so you may get matches in those countries. It may take some time before you start seeing matches from non-English speaking countries.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
I have a question regarding the Ancestry DNA testing. I would like to have my DNA tested but my family tree that I have listed on Ancestry.com is my adopted family, would it link me to relatives that I am blood related to? I do have information regarding my birth mother but I do not know (for sure) who my birth father is - although I have my suspicions.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy